Nutrition and cycling

george2gg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
I appreciate that this question may have already been posted but I have not seen it and am really wanting to reverse my diabetes so>
I'm sure that a lot of people like me keep active and many cycle not just to help with their diabetes but also as a passion. The question I want to ask is about drinks, gels and food when cycling for 2 plus hours. What are the best drinks for me? Food? Gels? As you are probably aware Gels are full of sugar, traditional food (bananas) are full of sugar and drinks carb and sugar loaded! so what should I be eating pre, during and post ride, as the advice for most non-diabetic cyclists is to use the supplements that are full of sugar and carbs to keep the energy up! I am looking to ride Lands End to John O'Groats next year but am worried that all my efforts will be ruined by not having the right nutrition? Any advice would be great.

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cycling and food
I to am a cyclist, my husband uses the nutrition bars but I make my own using oats low fat spread and some wholemeal flour and if needed artificial sweetening I add grated apple or fresh apricots and walnuts, you can add what you like cook them as you would normal flapjack. They keep up to five days in a tin. I always eat after one hours cycling and drink just water. I am in my 70s so perhaps need more rest than you regards

Paulwgun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So far I’ve done 20 milers on an empty stomach (only a coffee) and feel it at the end. I’ve signed up for a 100 mile ride in 8 weeks so have been looking at fuel for the ride. I work with a number of keen, fit cyclists who have given me a gel to try and a high energy bar another suggestion was fig rolls. Now I know these are full of sugar and maybe I should avoid them totally and make my own protein/fat bars (I am a chef after all) one suggestion from another website I’m on was Nakd bars available in supermarkets a quick google shows 19g of carbs per serving compared to 22g in the gels. I’ve yet to try them but will monitor my blood sugar if I do but am also on the lookout for ready made alternatives, advice I’ve been given is eat little and often with plenty of water

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Cake ! I did Lejog. Blood sugar stayed level if I had cake and coffee mid morning. You will use more sugar than normal so it gets used rather than floating around in your blood. Good protein meals in the evening.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
change your diet to burning fats instead of carbs. You dont need carbs for that type of long distance pursuits.

Look up Dr Stephen Phinney, Dr Jeff Volek and Prof Tim Noakes. There are plenty of youtube videos of their presentations.

Also some great videos on Diet Doctor about changing to running on fat

try this . https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/movies/cereal-killers?autoplay=70155#2

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
change your diet to burning fats instead of carbs. You dont need carbs for that type of long distance pursuits.

Look up Dr Stephen Phinney, Dr Jeff Volek and Prof Tim Noakes. There are plenty of youtube videos of their presentations.

Also some great videos on Diet Doctor about changing to running on fat

try this . https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/movies/cereal-killers?autoplay=70155#2
Totally agree, I do a lot of trail riding. Red and black routes so very tough climbs. As well as lots of nice downs as a reward. I used to take jelly babies, lucozade and a full on packed lunch. We are out all day and in the middle of nowhere. Now I find my omelette in the morning with and extra egg, don’t skimp on cheese or ham, take just dextros and a Lidl high protein rolls with a selection of meats on it and a boiled egg for a snack a bit later. You may need more food than me, trial and error, Not that appealing but my bag is lighter. I’m not putting loads of insulin in to cover the extra fuel I thought I would need before, which brings on a hypo no matter what at some point.

Gels are good to have as and when a hypo strikes. You don’t need to have them pre ride, I used to. Bumped my sugars up a lot which is counterproductive as you get slower and feel more tired.

When running on my low carb high protein I did treat myself to a piece of cake mid ride, it made me very sluggish. No more since then. Protein all the way.