• Start Date

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@catapillar - I was at a perfectly healthy weight at diagnosis actually. I had no symptoms leading up to diagnosis but went in to DKA following a nasty case of the Norovirus bug. My endo said this would have put pressure on my body and sent my blood sugars and ketones up and had I not had the bug, probably would have ended up losing weight and getting symptoms over the future weeks. So I am not aiming to be at an unhealthy weight at all.
Hi, I sound like you and you like me. What a pair!! I've put on 7k over a stone and I'm a little shorty so it shows. Like you,I was full of energy and not starving to death. I feel the same too... just a bit big for my skin. The only thing I've done is to further reduce my carbs so I'm having around 30-40 per day. I suppose I could do less but where's the fun. I've managed to stop the weight increase by doing this. I'm trying to be more active and I think this is the big area we could work on. Your 5.5lb in 4 weeks is brilliant. I agree with @Neoncat that insulin is an allay but I do know that insulin is the fat hormone whether you're T1 or T2 and too much can lead to weight can so getting the right dose is important. Good luck, I'll be battling with you. Onwards and downwards:)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m wishing now that I hadn’t put up the link to lchf - ☹️

D

Deleted member 391597

That was useful, thank you @Fairygodmother! I was initially diagnosed as having gestational diabetes at 28 weeks pregnant but suspected Type 1 due to normal BMI and presence of ketones. Must have honeymooned for 6 months as it went and came back when I went in to DKA! I followed LCHF and my sugars were amazing. I also lost weight and didn't mind eating this way as I thought it would only be for the remainder of my pregnancy. I'm just unsure about how safe it is to do long term as a lifestyle??
Thanks for your reply @SueJB ! Do you mind if I ask what you typically eat on a day where you eat 30-40g of carbs? Have you noticed any weight loss? Thanks!

Edited to correct tag

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fairygodmother

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m wishing now that I hadn’t put up the link to lchf - ☹️
Don't feel bad! When I was newly diagnosed I used all the LCHF knowledge to work out my reactions to different carbs and slowly reintroduced them into my diet. It allowed me to work out how my body manages different foods without being confused by having multiple med-high sources in one meal.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't feel bad! It isn't a wrong suggestion @Fairygodmother! It's just another kind of diet, same as suggesting the 5:2 or the South Beach. From what I've seen your advice is always good. Food and diabetes is always such a complicated and ultimately emotional conversation. I think we're all agreeing that T1 and T2 need to approach it differently.

What kind of exercise do you do @Hollieo4? Personally I found running and regular walking was the best for shedding weight but lots of people say that weight or strength training is best for weight loss (with the added benefit of muscle toning!).

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I used to find swimming was the best for maintaining weight, tone and energy, plus the good feeling of being at ease and happy in the water. Sadly my knackered knees (total meninsectomy, both knees, 36 years ago), and inability to get the breathing right doing the crawl, has made it less pleasurable now so lots of walking, aquarobics, and a bit of dancing do the trick. And thank you for your comments @Hollieo4 , @RuffsTheShake and @Neoncat.
If you’re still working, @Hollieo4 as well as looking after your small person, finding exercise time’s more problematic. My daughter did lots of fast buggy pushing with some uphill stretches to keep fit when she had toddlers. There was a lovely group she joined who did it together and combined it with some mother and toddler natter, snack and play. Social health as well as physical toning!

Last edited by a moderator:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Since being diagnosed a year ago I have gained at least 1.5 stone! I am very unhappy about this. I did initially blame it on eating unhealthily and not having time to take care of myself properly. (I have a busy 18 month old - although I know that's no excuse!) So I joined Weight Watchers online 4 weeks ago but have only lost 5.5lbs!! I was so good last week, tracked and pointed EVERYTHING and actually gained 1lb! I don't understand it and feel at a loss as well as frustrated. I take 14 units of Lantus daily and around 11 units of Novorapid a day when following the Weight Watchers plan. Would this amount of insulin cause you to gain or hold on to weight? I followed the plan a few years ago and never had a problem so I don't know what else it could be. Are there any other diets you would recommend? My blood sugars have been great but I am desperate to lose weight. Please help!!
hi hollieo4 firstly well done on the weight loss slowly but steady is the way to go from what ive read insulin does not cause weight gain and at 11 units a day your NOT eating too many carbs in anyway sometimes weight can flucuate by as much as 3lbs if you weigh yourself at varies times throughout the day you will find your weight at diffrent levels (i like first thing in the morning as they tend to be lowest;)) i cant recommend a diet for you as each person is different but i would be focusing on the 5,5lbs youve already lost in 4 weeks and give youself a big pat on the back and like ive mentioned slow but steady works best more likely to stay off goodluck x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hollieo4 5.5lbs in 4 weeks is good. In visual terms that is 11 packs of butter. It is also only 1.5lbs away from half a stone. You may not be getting there as quickly as you wish, but you WILL get there, and are much more likely to remain there.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The jury is still out on lchf for Type 1s. I have come across HCPs who don't really approve of it . I don't really understand why because they haven't explained but they are welcome to their opinion. I would like to hear sound arguments against lchf. But maybe on another thread! It is a way of eating that has helped me. But I realise that we Type 1s are individuals with different ways of coping with diabetes. I certainly wouldn't want to demonise insulin! I was full of relief to be diagnosed and injected with insulin and able to feel well again!

Reactions: Dodo

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi hollieo4, In my experience if I get a lot of hypos then the weight piles on - caused by eating all the carbo to counteract the hypos. Getting the hypos is generally unexpected exercise, which for me makes a huge difference, but once the glargine has been injected then it can't be reversed of course. I also find that Novorapid (and other fast acting) are not fast, typically taking one to two hours to really kick in, which can also lead to unexpected hypos.

On a broader view, when my brother was diagnosed with child-onset diabetes in the early 1960's the dietary advice was essentially a low carb regime. As the years passed this changed to "eat carb, just have more insulin to compensate" which has fairly recently been dropped. I find a low carb diet to be the best to keep control of BGs, especially because the amount of injected insulin is so much lower. I'm not familiar with the WW's diet, is it low calorie but relatively high carb?

'Scilla

Hi everyone!

Since being diagnosed a year ago I have gained at least 1.5 stone! I am very unhappy about this. I did initially blame it on eating unhealthily and not having time to take care of myself properly. (I have a busy 18 month old - although I know that's no excuse!) So I joined Weight Watchers online 4 weeks ago but have only lost 5.5lbs!! I was so good last week, tracked and pointed EVERYTHING and actually gained 1lb! I don't understand it and feel at a loss as well as frustrated. I take 14 units of Lantus daily and around 11 units of Novorapid a day when following the Weight Watchers plan. Would this amount of insulin cause you to gain or hold on to weight? I followed the plan a few years ago and never had a problem so I don't know what else it could be. Are there any other diets you would recommend? My blood sugars have been great but I am desperate to lose weight. Please help!!
I have found the Slimming world diet excellent! It is a change of lifestyle and of course takes longer for diabetics! I have had type 1 for over 50 years but at long last I am happy with my weight, even a pound a week is a loss! Cutting carbs does work. All the best ‘Scilla

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started the LCHF in January, when I was gaining 1 kg / month. (I havent consistently stayed at 20g carb, an apple is 15g.) But since January @ 75kg three months later down to 70.5kg. I actually began, not for weight loss but as a healthier diet, so that when the miracle happens and they find a cure, it'll go into healthy body not a worn out one.

Reactions: EllieM

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like 'Scilla I have also been a T1 for over 50 years. I don't really understand carbs, only have a sketchy idea about counting calories and have never done much in the way of diets. However, although I eat just about anything, I always eat very slowly and as a result never want nor take very large portions. My height is 1.91m and my weight has gradually increased from 82 to 89 Kg over the same fifty year period.

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
Can i use orlistat is it safe on t1d ??
Like Xenical ??

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi everyone. Thank you all so much for your replies! I am now down 9lbs after the scale wouldn't budge for 3 weeks. I am encouraged by this but I keep reading that it is a slower process for diabetics to lose weight. Is this due to the expected hypos we are bound to encounter along the way or is there another reason? Thanks again!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder whether there's an argument for a sub-forum called, "Type 1 - people who eat a Greggs Steak Bake now and then without having low carbers making them feel guilty about it."
The question I would have is, why would you ever do that. What's the point in taking the risk?