What's wrong with pubs?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Am I being a bit curmudgeonly or just an old fart? What's wrong with selling Schweppes slim line topic instead of the Queen tipple of Fever Tree with 4g carbs and 15 cals. Had to go into 2 pubs at lunchtime to slake my thirst and then had to force down a gin and soda. We are being invaded. :grumpy:YUCK!!

Reactions: jay hay-char
C

chris lowe

Am I being a bit curmudgeonly or just an old fart? What's wrong with selling Schweppes slim line topic instead of the Queen tipple of Fever Tree with 4g carbs and 15 cals. Had to go into 2 pubs at lunchtime to slake my thirst and then had to force down a gin and soda. We are being invaded. :grumpy:YUCK!!

Most of the pubs in my village (& there are 7 - used to be 15) still sell Schweppes Slimline. Possibly you have “trendy” pubs where you are. Fever Tree probably comes with a decent mark up for landlord

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed this as well; of course it's particularly a thing round these parts because the city is full of pretentious bars that, as you say, can get a good mark-up on Fever Tree mixers, usually to go with the designer gins, flavoured with "Botanicals" that people tend to favour round here.

Mind you, I often drink Scotch and dry ginger if I can get it, and you don't find many pubs that sell diet dry ginger of any description nowadays. If we're going somewhere like a festival, I take my own supplies with me, and just buy neat Scotch from the bar, but in pubs I have to default to red wine (not necessarily a bad thing), or Scotch and soda. I have raised the subject in a couple of pubs but invariably get the reply that "we don't get much demand for it, mate". Grrrrrr...................

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
My wife, whose tipple is invariably gin and tonic, has discovered Hendricks' Gin. She also discovered that Fever Tree tonic goes well with this brand. You might find that instead of lime or lemon, a couple of slices of cucumber complete the drink.

Reactions: chris lowe

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Most of the pubs in my village (& there are 7 - used to be 15) still sell Schweppes Slimline. Possibly you have “trendy” pubs where you are. Fever Tree probably comes with a decent mark up for landlord
I'm not a trendy pub fan, Oxford has a lot but being from the north, I'm not that impressed. I fear you're right about the mark up

Reactions: chris lowe

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My wife, whose tipple is invariably gin and tonic, has discovered Hendricks' Gin. She also discovered that Fever Tree tonic goes well with this brand. You might find that instead of lime or lemon, a couple of slices of cucumber complete the drink.
Hendricks is a good gin so I wouldn't put fruit or salad in it;)

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
To each his own, Sue. Personally, I'm a Scotch drinker.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Red wine, white wine, diet coke or water for me. But not i must add not in one session or in the same glass.

Reactions: SueJB

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hm, I tend to go for red wine or scotch nowadays as my beer days seem to be over.
Don’t mind a g&t but have never heard of fever tree so probably OK.
I do know a pub in the dark and dangerous north that thinks a shandy is a cocktail and you can’t buy crisps or nuts because they don’t do food - proper pub :D

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a meal out in a local pub and they sold fever tree, although they diet have the low calorie version too