Is diet coke ok?

selectcase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i am off out for a meal tonight so was wandering if diet coke was ok. I am going for a mixed grill without the chips or onion rings so eggs, meats and peas.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You need to test with a meter.
Artificial sweeteners can fool some bodies into releasing insulin and then dumping glucose from the liver.
As part of a meal you should be O.K. because the food will probably buffer any reaction to the sweeteners.
Sounds good - enjoy! :)

Reactions: zand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @selectcase ,

It's as good a sugar free beverage as any..
If the drink is on "draught" be sure the waiter/barman hits the right tap button. ;)

Have a great meal!

Reactions: Mufflana and rom35

eabhamurphy

Whenever I order diet coke on tap, I always double check when they have taken my order that they understood 'diet' and then when I get it I check with them again . I can taste the difference probably but don't want to take any chances. It seriously matters as I won't obviously have bolused for a pint of normal coke which probably contains about 25-30g carbs.
That said, diet coke doesn't ever affect my BG levels. So I can drink away without impact.
Mixed grill chicken often has honey or something sweet on it to make it char nicely so be careful for those carbs too.
Have a good meal!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t spike me, so I drink it. However only have it if I can see the bottle or can it came out of. Have stopped ordering the stuff on tap or from machines. Enjoy!

Reactions: Mufflana

LizzieB

Does anyone use their meter to test to make sure the Coke/Pepsi is actually diet? I've read that you can do this, but have never tried it myself. Also you can apparently use Diastix, but again I've not tried it. I have sometimes wondered on tasting draft drinks whether they were actually diet type and I'm going to try it out in future.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone use their meter to test to make sure the Coke/Pepsi is actually diet? I've read that you can do this, but have never tried it myself. Also you can apparently use Diastix, but again I've not tried it. I have sometimes wondered on tasting draft drinks whether they were actually diet type and I'm going to try it out in future.

Hi @LizzieB ,

Welcome to the forum.

There have been folk on here use meters to varify the on tap drink is diet..
I haven't done it myself. But then. Most of the pubs I use still pour from bottled units in the chiller behind the bar.

Reactions: LizzieB

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Check this out.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/real-evidence-diet-drinks-bad-just-opinion

I'm not a doctor, I can only talk about my experience. The sooner you stop drinking sweet drinks the better for your health. Stop playing games with chemical sweetners that are designed to keep you addicted to sweets. When I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes 13 years ago I stopped drinking sweet drinks. Now I drink my coffee and tea without sugar or any kind of sweeter.
Learn to like drinking plain water or seltzer.