What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all, I hope you’ve all had a lovely Easter Day. Lots of really really dark chocolate has been received.

B = 3 egg omelette with cheese and pepperoni

L = Lidl high protein roll, smoked ham, Mexicano cheese and pepperoni (some of my Montezuma 100% cocoa buttons out of my egg)

D = roast pork, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans pig in blanket, smidge if gravy and lashings of mine sauce on my veg. ( little bit of my Montezuma 100% cocoa Easter egg) cocoa nips are awesome!!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 your day looks really good to me, and a few of those buttons shouldn't hurt you. Can I ask you what an Adonis blondie bar is - sounds intriguing?
!

Hi eggs11 a few buttons maybe but I probably ate 1/2 bag! ☹️

The Adonis blondies I bought from Amazon as I’d seen a couple of people posting about them. They’re a low carb ( well, about 7.5 g per 50g bar) made of macadamia nuts and coconut mostly. Really yummy but quite expensive. They’d be quite good to take fo a packed lunch maybe if you’re out for the day. A bit carb heavy for a snack really though.

Your feta and spinach filo pie sounds gorgeous, what a bonus that it didn’t spike your bg too.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 your day looks really good to me, and a few of those buttons shouldn't hurt you. Can I ask you what an Adonis blondie bar is - sounds intriguing?

Today was a revelation to me - I'm trying chicory tea as apparently it is good for diabetes, and I love it - but today it jumped up in my estimations after trying it with soya cream. I don't usually drink coffee and rarely have regular cream, as cow's milk dairy products don't always agree with me. So this is my new alternative - I'm going to try it in the morning and see if it stops my liver dump.

The other revelation was that spinach, feta and filo pie doesn't spike me at all - I was served this at my parents today and it felt such a treat - really filling and tasty.

B - 2 oatcakes and peanut butter
L - spinach, feta, filo pie and broccoli
D - grated courgettes, garlic and goat's cheese, 1 oatcake with peanut butter

Throughout the day I've had a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate here and there, as was given some in lieu of eggs.
We are back at my parents tomorrow and I'll be able to have more of the pie for lunch - can't wait!
I have inulin made with chicory root know inulin good but hadn’t heard that chicory was - interesting

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BF775A47-9A1E-459C-BEC7-8C4504EC0FDD.jpeg
The Adonis blondies I bought from Amazon as I’d seen a couple of people posting about them. They’re a low carb ( well, about 7.5 g per 50g bar) made of macadamia nuts and coconut mostly. Really yummy but quite expensive. They’d be quite good to take fo a packed lunch maybe if you’re out for the day. A bit carb heavy for a snack really though.

Have you tried these made by Adonis too. They have only 2g net carbs per bar. I bizarrely found them in my local Spar but you can get them via Amazon too. Both flavours are good, I always have a couple in my handbag!

Reactions: ziggy_w and eggs11

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25972

Have you tried these made by Adonis too. They have only 2g net carbs per bar. I bizarrely found them in my local Spar but you can get them via Amazon too. Both flavours are good, I always have a couple in my handbag!

Ooh no I havent. Will try them next.

I find the net carbs a bit confusing, the blondies are also 2g net carbs, but on the back is says 9.6g total carbs, of which sugar is 1.4g and polyols 7.5.
I looked them up on Myfitnesspal and it says 7.5 for a 50g bar.
Do you just go by net carbs? ( in which case they are really good carb value)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh no I havent. Will try them next.

I find the net carbs a bit confusing, the blondies are also 2g net carbs, but on the back is says 9.6g total carbs, of which sugar is 1.4g and polyols 7.5.
I looked them up on Myfitnesspal and it says 7.5 for a 50g bar.
Do you just go by net carbs? ( in which case they are really good carb value)
I believe that Polyols aren’t absorbed so you subtract them from total carbs to give net carbs. My photo is bad but to the right of where it says “2g Natural Sugars” it says “2g Net Carbs”. I hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s how it works.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that Polyols aren’t absorbed so you subtract them from total carbs to give net carbs. My photo is bad but to the right of where it says “2g Natural Sugars” it says “2g Net Carbs”. I hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s how it works.

Oh I do hope you’re right, shan’t feel half so guilty if it’s only 2 ( although there is always the looming possibility I’ll eat 3 in one sitting then!)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I do hope you’re right, shan’t feel half so guilty if it’s only 2 ( although there is always the looming possibility I’ll eat 3 in one sitting then!)

I just found this article, the Adonis bars I pictured contain Erythritol which is zero carb, so in this case I was right, they are 2g net carbs per bar. Other polyols aren’t so easy to calculate it would appear:
https://low-carb-support.com/polyols/

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- 2 coffee w/cream
Snack- BP coconut choc square
L- ham on LC roll
D- LC ham & mushroom pizza, chicken wings
(That's enough! The rest of the ham is sliced up and frozen for brekky; ham bone for soup)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all.

I spent most of the day in the kitchen today. Made a new batch of DD keto rolls, low-carb cole slaw, and flan.

The flan turned out well -- if I may say so. Have to confess, though, that I used just a little bit of real sugar to make the caramel as erythritol or xylitol doesn't burn. I then watered the burned sugar down with water and distributed it among six ramekins. Guess, it added may 10g of carbs across all six servings. Does burned sugar have less carbs? It doesn't really taste sweet anymore.

The rest of the flan was also easy. Mix two cups of whipping cream and a glass of clotted cream. Add six tbp of erythritol, three espressos, one vanilla bean, a pinch of salt, three whole eggs and three eggs yolkes. Pour on top of the caramalized sugar in ramekins, put in a water bath and bake for 35 minutes. Done. I also cooked sliced kumquats in erythritol and water as a topping. Yummy.

So, here is what I had today.

Breakfast: Three double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayo and smoked salmon. Two squares of 85% chocolate.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: A third of a ribeye steak, fried mushrooms and cole slaw. Two servings of espresso-flavored flan with candied kumquats. Half a glass of dry red wine.
Oh yum....that sounds very like a coffee creme caramel. You're right though I'm blowed if I can think of a low carb way to make the burnt caramel you need.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So today’s Fasting BG was 5.8 at 10:30
Had 2 sausages 2 slices of Livlife with butter and cheese and a cuppa. BG went to 5.9 at 2hrs
Had no lunch just a bowl of strawberries and raspberries with double cream then had a turkey and ham sandwich with tea
Later gonna have a rib eye steak with 2 eggs and tea . Last Bg was 5.5
Your change to Livlife seems to have made a big difference.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found this article, the Adonis bars I pictured contain Erythritol which is zero carb, so in this case I was right, they are 2g net carbs per bar. Other polyols aren’t so easy to calculate it would appear:
https://low-carb-support.com/polyols/

Brilliant! Well done @Rachox thank you. The blondies also have only erythritol so can safely be assumed to have just 2g carbs.

I thought the article made an interesting point that the smaller newer companies tended to understand more about what’s important to their consumers. The large multinationals just tend to jump on the bandwagon and put misleading ‘low carb’ labels on food when they know that’s not strictly true.

Adonis appear to be a small reputable brand who seem to me to have a pretty good ethos. I shall enjoy their bars even more now.