What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

@shelley262 it sounds like an eventful day, I do hope everyone’s ok. I think you did well to stick at just 2 of your HC treats! Thanks for bday wishes too.

@maglil55 I hope your sister’s getting good care and improves soon, your son is really good and on the ball with the food.

I’ve had a ridiculously piggish day and am quite ashamed... started ok

B: coffee and cream

L: smoked salmon, avocado and a few olives with apple cider vinegar/ olive oil dressing. Greek youghurt with strawberries

Mid aft snack: Adonis blondie bar then a bit later some olives then some sunflower seeds.

D: slow cooked lamb shoulder with garlic and thyme. The recipe called for 250ml of balsamic vinegar to make a sauce at the end but thank heaven I checked carb count first! Assumed it’d be low as its just vinegar but no!
Cauli mash, cavolo nero and broccolli.

Later ate loads of HC 100% buttons while the family hunted for Easter eggs I’d hidden for them. No idea why I bought the bag of buttons in with me - I usually just take 5 out. Schoolboy error!

Really hope I can stop nibbling now. I’m so annoyed at myself.
I taught son to cook (And iron and wash clothes and tidy up.....). DIL was most impressed that she got a husband who could do things at home. There are things he makes better than I do now. Must admit his creamy kale was very good. Flavoured up with the addition of spring onion and garlic before the cream went in at the end. He decided to roast the celeriac, which he had cubed , in goose fat with rosemary. He did say never to expect him to cube celeriac again but DIL has discovered she likes it too so he'll have to!
Thanks everyone for the good wishes for sis. She's doing OK. She's on chemo so infection is a common occurrence and the elevated temperature requires hospitalization. She's fed up so must be improving.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I don't have a particularly sweet tooth but I do like the odd piece of Cadburys chocolate ( I know it's just sugar and very little chocolate, but I'm obviously a bit of a pleb ) I tried some lindt 85% chocolate but it was really unpleasant to me, no creaminess. It was my grandsons 5th birthday today and he is having a huge party for all his friends and all his classmates on Tuesday. I foolishly offered to do a family party at our house, I did sausages and pizza for the kids and a huge chilli, rice , salad and new potatoes for the adults. My son made a big pan of Thai green curry too. I grated some of the dark chocolate into the chilli and my husband said it was the best chilli I'd ever made!
My mother who is also diabetic, but as she insists she is only a tiny bit diabetic!!! Kept trying to foist an easter Egg on me and said that I was taking "that diet " too far. Aaaaggghhhh bangs head on wall

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a particularly sweet tooth but I do like the odd piece of Cadburys chocolate ( I know it's just sugar and very little chocolate, but I'm obviously a bit of a pleb ) I tried some lindt 85% chocolate but it was really unpleasant to me, no creaminess. It was my grandsons 5th birthday today and he is having a huge party for all his friends and all his classmates on Tuesday. I foolishly offered to do a family party at our house, I did sausages and pizza for the kids and a huge chilli, rice , salad and new potatoes for the adults. My son made a big pan of Thai green curry too. I grated some of the dark chocolate into the chilli and my husband said it was the best chilli I'd ever made!
My mother who is also diabetic, but as she insists she is only a tiny bit diabetic!!! Kept trying to foist an easter Egg on me and said that I was taking "that diet " too far. Aaaaggghhhh bangs head on wall

Chilli and chocolate: a well known match made in heaven!
I used to love Cadbury’s too but have found over the last few months that my sweet tooth isn’t as sweet. I think I would now miss the intense chocolate hit I get with the high cocoa content stuff if I had a bit of CDM now

I understand your frustration about people’s views on this ‘fad’ diet. Half the time now I just say I’m not hungry rather than trying to explain.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B = 2 slices of cheddar
L = none
D = 8oz rump steak, bag of Tesco peppery salad and some Helmens Mayo.
S = 150ml extra thick cream & 8 very thin Lidl Polish sausages.
Bottle of Merlot consumed during evening.
4.4mmol when going to bed at 23:40

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- 2 coffee w/cream
Snack- BP coconut choc square
L- ham on LC roll
D- LC ham & mushroom pizza, chicken wings
(That's enough! The rest of the ham is sliced up and frozen for brekky; ham bone for soup)
Hubby insisted I post a pic (he's NOT LC and he said it was good - top is low carb, bottom was regular).
IMG_20180401_185003.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mums the same even though her kidneys are fast deteriorating and she now gets UTIs on regular basis she’s very proud of her belief that “she dosent have proper diabetes” she also eats all wrong things. ! I’m with you with the head banging emoji!
Re the choc I wasn’t a dark choc fan but you need to build up through the percentages. Another thing you can do is melt 100% choc - mix with erythritol powdered to help it dissolve or stevia drops to desired sweetness - plus you can add nuts if you like them and then put on greaseproof paper or little sweet cases and allow to set . Transforms it to to a milkier choc without the carbs of milk and sugar.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.1 FBG 7.9 so son's cooking was good. Arm is still sore but a lot better as I got through yesterday with no painkillers and sis is getting out of hospital this afternoon as infection is under control. I'm going to have a few weeks of Diet Doctor now that you can create and save your own meal plans. For each day it tells you your total carbs too. So today's is 16g.
B. Mexican scrambled eggs. Very tasty but the bit tomato made mine less yellow than their pic. Tasted fine though. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-mexican-scrambled-eggs

L. Always hungry after a meal out so having the Italian Keto plate later but minus the olives!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/italian-keto-plate
D. Chipotle infused pork chop with green beans and avocado. Hubby can have chips.
Doubt I'll be hungry after that. Dinner is later ad this is pub night for hubby.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chops-green-beans-avocado

I'm still having DP issues but this Libre is still measuring high. Discovered it is at its worst when BG is rising. Once it stabilizes it's close again.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.1 FBG 7.9 so son's cooking was good. Arm is still sore but a lot better as I got through yesterday with no painkillers and sis is getting out of hospital this afternoon as infection is under control. I'm going to have a few weeks of Diet Doctor now that you can create and save your own meal plans. For each day it tells you your total carbs too. So today's is 16g.
B. Mexican scrambled eggs. Very tasty but the bit tomato made mine less yellow than their pic. Tasted fine though. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-mexican-scrambled-eggs

L. Always hungry after a meal out so having the Italian Keto plate later but minus the olives!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/italian-keto-plate
D. Chipotle infused pork chop with green beans and avocado. Hubby can have chips.
Doubt I'll be hungry after that. Dinner is later ad this is pub night for hubby.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chops-green-beans-avocado

I'm still having DP issues but this Libre is still measuring high. Discovered it is at its worst when BG is rising. Once it stabilizes it's close again.
1/2 The portion on the Italian Keto plate - way too much.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you all had a good Easter Monday - a bit calmer today so did some cooking experiments.
Made a fibre Flour lemon cake which is very low carb, no impact on my bgs and ok but is a bit like a soft scone in texture not quite right so prob not a keeper - mum may turn her nose up at it when take rest up to York’s in the morning!
Also experimented with resistant starch - cooked and cooled new potatoes, with skins kept on ,three times, made some mayo with advocado oil and then made a potato salad to take up with me will be interesting to see result on my bg - will let you know tomorrow but will only try small portion to see....
Breakfast one each of sausage, bacon and egg fried in coconut oil
Lunch mix of cheeses and slice of low carb lemon cake
Dinner beef casserole and cauli mash followed by low carb raspberry mousse. Gin and soda water planned for later as it’s a bank holiday.

Reactions: DJC3 and Ian_Laye

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Mid-morning: coffee at Cafè Nero’s with a smuggled in Adonis bar!
Late Lunch: 2 x scrambled eggs with toast (1 slice HiLo) with Marmite followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck but only had one pancake with the merest smidge of sauce, ate all the veg and one prawn cracker! Followed by a small slice of olive chocolate cake and cream.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Evening all just back from friends: breakfast hot cross buns and a Lid nut bar.

Lunch: Turkey breast tomatoes and sauce.

Evening:Chicken stew with onion leeks and carrots and 1.5 oiled potatoes and a little wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Thanks, @maglil55 -- Yes, I am afraid there is no real substitute for burned sugar. I only used a little sugar though and then watered it down. Since the flavor of the burned sugar is pretty intense anyway, this worked great. I added all the carbs in the ingredients and divided by the six portion -- so I gather it is about 5g of carbs for each flan.

@Rachox -- The Adonis bars are a great suggestion. I think I will order some too. It does take a lot of time to make everything from scratch, so having something that is already prepared makes life a lot easier.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A DD keto roll with mayo, cheddar and avocado. One coffee-caramel flan with candied kumquats.

Lunch: Nothing.

Afternoon: A double espresso macchiato at Starbuck's with xylitol. Forgot to order decaffeinated and, boy, did I feel energized.

Dinner: A small T-bone steak (about 100g), low-carb cole slaw, a coffee-caramel flan (no candied kumquats) and a glass of dry red wine.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2pm minced beef as a burger, with grated cheese and 2 rashers of bacon. Quite a large burger. I added garlic and tom puree to the mix, which made it more interesting.

May have some goatsmilk yog later. Or not. Still pretty full...

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Far too much!
B. 2 egg omelette with cheddar. Black tea, 2 black coffees.
L. Small seeded flatbread filled with homous, 2 falafel and cucumber, plain yoghurt with 2cm piece of banana.
Snack. 2 pistachio and almond biscuits, lots of mixed nuts.
D. Bowl of gazpacho soup, baked salmon with roast parsnip and sweet potato, herby greens and mushrooms.