Will I be taken off insulin ?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi. I’ve been on insulin for years now. My last HbA1c was 83 in February. I am now trying my best to eat a better diet and have mobility problems which make exercise limited.

I read my last Consultant’s letter which basically said that due to extensive GI surgery I am not suitable for Metformin or a GLP-1 agonist and that increasing my insulin doses was the only option available to him.

What I would like to know is that if I get my HbA1c down to 45-55 will I just be on nothing ? No maintenance therapy ? I would like to say diet controlling would achieve this but with limited exercise I don’t realistically foresee it.

Any thoughts ?

Eddie

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get your HbA1c down to below 49 you certainly won't need insulin as you will be in the pre-diabetic range. Whether you will be able to do this is another question, but it's worth a try! Good luck with this. Any thoughts as to how you will change your diet? Diet is the main thing, any exercise you can do (ie even arm movements whilst sitting) is a bonus.

Reactions: eddie1968

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If you get your HbA1c down to below 49 you certainly won't need insulin as you will be in the pre-diabetic range. Whether you will be able to do this is another question, but it's worth a try! Good luck with this. Any thoughts as to how you will change your diet? Diet is the main thing, any exercise you can do (ie even arm movements whilst sitting) is a bouns.
For the last month haven’t bought any bread, using artificial sweeteners in coffee, reducing potatoes and substituting for green veg, more meat and less dairy (bit intolerant to cheese etc). Well it’s a start of some sort, lost 2Kg in 4 weeks. Exercise is the problem, not walking correctly/pain. Been doing plenty of dumbbells and mat exercises too. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to say yes definitely........but my last 4 HbA1c's have been 40 and I still need my insulin :oops:........ albeit smaller doses.......maybe get them to do the production tests to see if you are producing any insulin, though I do hope you do manage to come off completely.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well that's a good start. :) Are you testing your BGs to check how you are doing?
As I’m on insulin (2 injections daily) my DNS has been telling me to test 4 times a day. My before breakfast levels are usually 6-9 mmol/l now but 5 weeks ago they were 13-18 mmol/l or higher. I keep a log book to spot trends and note down any changes to my diet. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I’m on insulin (2 injections daily) my DNS has been telling me to test 4 times a day. My before breakfast levels are usually 6-9 mmol/l now but 5 weeks ago they were 13-18 mmol/l or higher. I keep a log book to spot trends and note down any changes to my diet. :)
Well don't forget to share them with us:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@eddie1968 any hypos?
With any onset of hypo then look towards reducing insulin units. Slowly and with dn approval. This should ensure safe transition towards less or no insulin. :) :) :)

Reactions: eddie1968 and zand

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eddie1968 - If you are eating lower carb, hopefully HbA1c will come down as a result of that. Personally, I consider any exercise to be icing on the cake, rather than the primary management tool. As someone well know said, "you can't outrun a bad diet".

I think there just needs to be a bit of tempering on expectations in that an HbA1c of 45-55 is achieved alongside insulin therapy, it's not necessarily a given that then stopping insulin the numbers would stay there.

I seem to recall from a long time ago that you take goodly amounts of insulin on a routine basis? Of course that could be because your pancreas isn't able to produce enough of it's own any more, or because you are insulin resistant, or a combination of both.

Please don't think I'm trying to rain on your BBQ, just trying to instill a bit of balance really.

Good luck with your quest. That you've already dropped a few pounds is usually a happy, but potentially expensive, byproduct of the reduced carb diet, and if you have insulin resistance in play will all help.

Good luck with it all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well you know what to watch for then. You checked your fasting BG today? (sorry, I get excited by these little details lol)
9.9 mmol/l, not great but still <10. When I have been <2 mmol/l I get hypo warnings like headache, shaking and sweating so I am aware. Thanks :)

Reactions: ickihun and zand

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to say yes definitely........but my last 4 HbA1c's have been 40 and I still need my insulin :oops:........ albeit smaller doses.......maybe get them to do the production tests to see if you are producing any insulin, though I do hope you do manage to come off completely.

Agree totally,a C Peptide test would be very useful right now.

Dwanand44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all My HbA1c was 52 then went to 62 but has come down to 56 an I be starting insulin tomorrow 26/4 an need help with a low carb diet for veg breakfast lunch an dinner so I can get it down to in the 40s and keep it steady

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Glad to hear things have moved in the right direction. I have very limited mobility but have improved my HbA1c and my blood glucose levels with dietary changes. The improvement that I have seen wasn't as fast as able bodied members have seen but overall I'm getting to the same place. My mobility has not really changed but it is easier in terms of pain which is a great bonus. Keep up the good work and well done.