EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Recently I went to these forums on a new computer and discovered a competing website address

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/

with associated forums (fora???)

So now I'm confused. Both claim to be "Diabetes UK", though I guess these forums have a more international flavour....

Is there any association between the two? Way back in the last century, before the internet (yes, in those prehistoric days) I became a lifetime member of the "British Diabetic Asociation", which appears to link to the org site. So what are we here? Are we related to the original BDA or a completely different organisation?

lindisfel

Expert
I think the other one is sold on the eat well plate concept!
Apparently it was handed down from God to Moses on the mountain with the two tablets!
:) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @EllieM. The two forums are both frequented by " diabetics " and people with a vested interest in diabetes, in that respect they are connected.
As with most things in life, people share different beliefs and approaches to living their lives. For a lot of people this isn't a problem, but as you may find out it can be an issue for some people.
Give them a try. They offer a different approach. Which is neither right or wrong, just different.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some members here also belong to the Diabetes UK forum the members talk about managing their diabetes and many do low carb just like they do here

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I went to these forums on a new computer and discovered a competing website address

So now I'm confused. Both claim to be "Diabetes UK", though I guess these forums have a more international flavour....

Is there any association between the two? Way back in the last century, before the internet (yes, in those prehistoric days) I became a lifetime member of the "British Diabetic Asociation", which appears to link to the org site. So what are we here? Are we related to the original BDA or a completely different organisation?
Hi Ellie, the diabetes org one (according to my DN) is the NHS 'official' one, ie the one they refer us to and support. I personally prefer the one we are on now but she said in relation to diabetes uk, 'read everything with a pinch of salt'!!!!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Excellent point @EllieM !
And lets not fool ourselves. This website/forum is driven by a for-profit organization!
Reason why it is on the .co.uk internet address. As its a commercially driven for-profit company.
diabetes.co.uk is owned by "Diabetes Digital Media Ltd" and you have the founder here:
https://startups.co.uk/the-entrepreneur-arjun-panesar-diabetes-co-uk/

You have the company filings reported here, including board of directors etc:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07975193/filing-history

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ is a non-profit organization and I think this single sentence from their leadership sums up quite well the main difference between the two websites/forums:
diabetes.org.uk: We are the largest charity focused on diabetes research in the UK, and have invested nearly £60 million in the last ten years.

As a diabetic I know who I would support to help getting a cure made for us!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the other one is sold on the eat well plate concept!
Apparently it was has handed down from God to Moses on the mountain with the two tablets!
:) ;)
Would that be 2 x 1000g metformin tablets?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here more on the diabetes.org.uk charity organization:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk is a site operated by the British Diabetic Association, operating as Diabetes UK. It is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under company number 00339181 and have their registered office at Wells Lawrence House, 126 Back Church Lane, London E1 1FH. Our VAT number is 232380196.

This charity is registered in England and Wales (no. 215199) and in Scotland (no. SC039136). In England and Wales they are strictly regulated by the Charity Commission and in Scotland by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator.
So no fooling around with any money they may make from it. As also quoted from their past years accounting, they have donated more than £58 millions over the past 10 years to diabetes research. So not paying exorbitant salaries/profits out to their owners or site moderators, fancy sports cars or luxury vacation trips...

Reactions: Pinkorchid

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a diabetic I know who I would support to help getting a cure made for us!
A charity who gets funding from a supermarket which sells may of the things that are harmful to health......

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed T2 my DN gave me the DUK booklet. I read it and was shocked to find that some of their recommendations were simply wrong and were the very things that helped me along the way to becoming T2. I lost faith in the charity after that. My surgery paid £5 for am official booklet with bad advice. You couldn't make it up.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed T2 my DN gave me the DUK booklet. I read it and was shocked to find that some of their recommendations were simply wrong and were the very things that helped me along the way to becoming T2. I lost faith in the charity after that. My surgery paid £5 for am official booklet with bad advice. You couldn't make it up.
I understand that you may have some old history hidden there with them. :)

To avoid bias and conflicting roles, I would still always consider a state controlled charity org with qualified healthcare educated staff a more reliable entity than a for-profit entity with non-medical staff.

(Edited for moderator criticism, rule breach C10. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gannet and Neoncat

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A charity who gets funding from a supermarket which sells may of the things that are harmful to health......
Truly a silly remark. But as a diabetic myself, I get how angry you must be in how much they try and tempt you everyday you go shopping. :D

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Truly a silly remark. But as a diabetic myself, I get how angry you must be in how much they try and tempt you everyday you go shopping. :D
Don't you think Tesco and DUK have a vested interest in the message they give out? Carbs with every meal. Yay! That'll keep the new diagnoses coming and profits/donations up.

It doesn't bother me if the owners of this site make a profit. What affects me is how good the advice is. If they make a profit through helping diabetics to help each other that's fine. I can't see anything wrong in that all. Perhaps DUK is more geared up with good advice for T1s, the T2 advice is dreadful. Yes it's free, but there really is no such thing as a free lunch.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't you think Tesco and DUK have a vested interest in the message they give out? Carbs with every meal. Yay! That'll keep the new diagnoses coming and profits/donations up.

It doesn't bother me if the owners of this site make a profit. What affects me is how good the advice is. If they make a profit through helping diabetics to help each other that's fine. I can't see anything wrong in that all. Perhaps DUK is more geared up with good advice for T1s, the T2 advice is dreadful. Yes it's free, but there really is no such thing as a free lunch.
Would the owners of this website that we are on want a cure? No of course not.
The more diabetics, the more profit for them. Both website are 'a free lunch' so your argument doesn't hold.
The difference is the non-profit gives the money back to research and that is always better for us than a for-profit that gives nothing back.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The difference is the non-profit gives the money back to research and that is always better for us than a for-profit that gives nothing back.
Only if the research is useful and studies are unbiased. The BDA works closely with DUK. The BDA still promotes the Eatwell Plate for goodness sake! That may be fine for already healthy people but it isn't much use to the majority of T2s who wish to be diet controlled for as long as possible. I wonder why all their research hasn't discovered that low carb is better than the Eatwell Plate for T2s? How much money does it take to figure that out?

lindisfel

Expert
I agree with you zand, seriously Type 1's its no good arguing the point with type 2s! You have a different illness to type 2's. I had the same kind of advice as zand and the eat fruit message gave me a worsening problem with fatty liver disease and, no, I was never obese!
D.

Reactions: zand

lindisfel

Expert
Would the owners of this website that we are on want a cure? No of course not.
The more diabetics, the more profit for them. Both website are 'a free lunch' so your argument doesn't hold.
Your comments to Zand are coming close to being quite unpleasant and completely ignore different perspectives.

Reactions: zand

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1

This is always such a strange argument to me. Tesco will just as happily sell you bacon and cheese and nuts instead of bread. In fact probably more happily so since those things cost more! Tesco care about you buying food from them, I struggle to see why they would bother getting involved in a diabetes conspiracy when money spent on general advertising would give them a better return on investment!