Diabetes UK forums,org and co? BDA???

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is always such a strange argument to me. Tesco will just as happily sell you bacon and cheese and nuts instead of bread. In fact probably more happily so since those things cost more! Tesco care about you buying food from them, I struggle to see why they would bother getting involved in a diabetes conspiracy when money spent on general advertising would give them a better return on investment!
Carbs are cheap to buy so the mark up is greater.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2s are often blamed for their condition. How sad then is it that the main charity gives them bad advice?

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@zand Which is why they are cheaper to buy, but there is no law that says profit margins must be greater on bread than cheese. The simpler explanation is that Tesco makes money selling food, so it makes sense for them to be involved with a charity about a condition strongly connected with food. It is a PR exercise and why you don't see Halfords, or B&Q or Petsmart sponsoring these types of things.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand Which is why they are cheaper to buy, but there is no law that says profit margins must be greater on bread than cheese. The simpler explanation is that Tesco makes money selling food, so it makes sense for them to be involved with a charity about a condition strongly connected with food. It is a PR exercise and why you don't see Halfords, or B&Q or Petsmart sponsoring these types of things.
Does this make sense too?

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/...te_stuffed_hamper_in_aid_of_Diabetes_charity/

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Truly a silly remark. But as a diabetic myself, I get how angry you must be in how much they try and tempt you everyday you go shopping. :D
I ignored this remark initially because I didn't see any sense in it. I don't understand what you are saying? Anger? Temptation? Huh?

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes that was a bad choice and they should have known better (Particularly if they want to stick a diabetes label on it), but I think you are confusing ignorance with deliberate evil. I expect the thought process went like this: Easter is a big event, people give Easter eggs to each other at Easter. This will handily promote both Easter eggs which everybody traditionally sells at this time of year and give us some good PR.

Not "MWHAHAHAHA let's make people sick so they continue to buy bread which they were doing before anyway."

lindisfel

Expert
I think you should all look into what Zoe Harcombe said about the sponsors of the eat well guide,(since the word plate has been superceded! )
Food producers do have a vested interest, it's all about good old fashioned profit.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Here more on the diabetes.org.uk charity organization:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk is a site operated by the ................................
................. So not paying exorbitant salaries/profits out to their owners or site moderators, fancy sports cars or luxury vacation trips...

Just to clarify a point @Celsus - whilst I believe the DCUKMOD role is a salaried position, the rest of us do this in our spare time as our 'gift' to the diabetic community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celsus and Mick1959

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think you should all look into what Zoe Harcombe said about the sponsors of the eat well guide,(since the word plate has been superceded! )
Food producers do have a vested interest, it's all about good old fashioned profit.

Sadly this is as true for the cheese monger as the Baker. Everyone has an agenda they are pushing, even the people we see as being on our side. In an ideal world we wouldn't need corporate sponsorship but currently we do, and I'd rather some of Tesco's profits went to researching my disease than not.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ladies & gentlemen.
Off topic & bickering content posts have been deleted.

Further posts of this nature will incur sanctions.

Be nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
discovered a competing website address

Although not competing, there are several forums (I googled) and I have sometimes been confused. I've followed 4 but settled on this one, no particular reason.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would the owners of this website that we are on want a cure? No of course not.
The more diabetics, the more profit for them. Both website are 'a free lunch' so your argument doesn't hold.
The difference is the non-profit gives the money back to research and that is always better for us than a for-profit that gives nothing back.
You have obviously missed out the work that Arjun and Charlotte do in publicising the low carb message.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have obviously missed out the work that Arjun and Charlotte do in publicising the low carb message.
Low carb is a life long therapy.
And certainly the Type1 on this still needs insulin also.

So no, they don't promote a cure at all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to work for Allied Lyons - the food people - may I be forgiven for my formulations....

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi Ellie, the diabetes org one (according to my DN) is the NHS 'official' one, ie the one they refer us to and support. I personally prefer the one we are on now but she said in relation to diabetes uk, 'read everything with a pinch of salt'!!!!

But the pinch of salt shouldn't be more than 7 grams.