Jun-12 42
Jan-13 43
Apr-13 41
Jul-14 39
Mar-16 41
Aug-16 42
Nov-16 40
Sep-17 42

I don't do sugary drinks and avoid high sugar foods but haven't tried a low carb diet.
I try to do 30 minutes walking every day and have lost a stone over the last 18 months.
I take propranolol (blood pressure) and atorvastatin (10mg for slightly raised cholesterol) both of which I understand can increase blood sugar.

Would it be reasonable to think that my A1c is "stable" and therefore OK, or could it be damaging at this level meaning I should do more?
Many thanks!

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion I would be happy with these readings over 6 years given the meds you are on.
You could try low carb and see if it reduces you blood pressure etc. If you did in my opinion it will reduce your hba1c

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, looking for a little advice.

63 year old male, 11 st 4lb, 6 feet tall
I seem to be holding a stable a1c over the last 6 years:
Date a1c
Mar-12 41
Jun-12 42
Jan-13 43
Apr-13 41
Jul-14 39
Mar-16 41
Aug-16 42
Nov-16 40
Sep-17 42

I don't do sugary drinks and avoid high sugar foods but haven't tried a low carb diet.
I try to do 30 minutes walking every day and have lost a stone over the last 18 months.
I take propranolol (blood pressure) and atorvastatin (10mg for slightly raised cholesterol) both of which I understand can increase blood sugar.

Would it be reasonable to think that my A1c is "stable" and therefore OK, or could it be damaging at this level meaning I should do more?
Many thanks!

I think the best way of getting some insight as to whether you have 'damaging' blood glucose levels would be to see what a blood glucose meter tells you in the morning, in the evening, and before and 2 hours after some of the food you regularly eat.

I think a generally accepted rule of thumb is that if you are at less than 7.8 mmol/l 2 hours after food, and even better, less than that even at 1 hour after food, then you are doing okay. And if your fasting level is at 5.5 or less then you are doing okay. "Okay" because these are high-end for non-diabetic people.

Some T2s on this forum strive for, and achieve, even lower than that. It's hard to say with any certainty when damage starts and the consequences, but if you don't already test yourself and are concerned, then getting a glucose meter is definitely the next step. You can read around and make your own judgement about the levels you'd like to aim for, and whether a low carb diet is required to reach those.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be happy with those HbA1c results over such an extended period. However, you may be better buying a blood glucose meter and keeping an eye on your daily levels, particularly before and after eating. These will give you a better idea of how you are managing - the A1c is just an average, and we all know that averages don't tell the whole truth. A lot of very good readings over night, for example, could be hiding some not very good ones after eating, and it is these not very good ones that can do the damage.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your HBA1C looks a lot like mine over the 6 years. I would consider purchasing a meter (if you don't have one) because I know that in my case my HBA1C hides a lot in the averages.

Structured testing particularly before and after meals may give you a clearer picture if you want to make tweaks to your diet.

Reactions: lost_a_stone

Highbury

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed in August 2017 with pre diabetes HbA1c reading of 42,advised to attend coaching classes and have not missed one go date,found them very helpful and have lost weight inches on waist and HbA1c now 33.. my only concern is maybe losing too much weight? Was 92kg on 1/9/17 now 77kg!
I do have other health problems, osteoarthritis in knee,hip and shoulders, 1st degree heart block, dialeted abdominal aorta( checked annually... last Reading 51 mm) and High Blood pressure ( hypotension).
Bearing this in mind do you consider I'm losing to much weight...I feel better and walking ,breathing easier.
Look forward to yr reply.