Extending dexcom G5+ sensors?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Afternoon all, I hope your all well and have plenty of really dark choco in for Easter..

Just a quick one, thinking about buying the dexcom starter pack with 4 sensors, want to use my phone so not getting receiver. Will I be able to just restart the sensor after 7 days using the iPhone app to extend its life?

Thanks in advanced;)

D

Deleted Account

I used the Dexcom G4 for a while and had no trouble restarting it.
I found the lifespan of the G4 varied from 11 days to 20 days for me.
I inserted it in my abdomen (as the manufacturer says to do) and found it lasted longer if I did less exercise (which was not ideal). I assumed this had something to do with the exercise agitating the sensor: it certainly became tender towards the end of its life.
Others suggested inserting the sensor in the back of my upper arm. As my partner has a "thing about things stuck into people" and I am not a contortionist, this was not possible.

I found the accuracy better than the Libre but still not good enough to convince me to spend much money on it (I was lucky enough to get a trial of 4 sensors). For example, it woke me up in the night complaining of going too low and a finger prick told me I was 6.4.
It seems some people have great accuracy with CGM and Libre and others don't.
Given the expense of the CGM, I would advise a short test (e.g. one sensor) to check which category you are in before a large investment.

I realise you are asking about the G5 but, hopefully, my G4 experience is helpful.

Reactions: Key_master_

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Key_master_ Like @helensaramay i use the G4. G4/G5 sensors are identical.
Sensor lasts 7 days as you know, it's then just a case of re booting the sensor. Telling the receiver that you've installed a new sensor basically.
I place the sensor on the side of my body and have no problems even with heavy exercise daily. Just try not to lay on the sensor during the night.
5 previous sensors have lasted 20 day+ on 4 of them and 9 days on 1. The 9 day one was attached whilst I had Aussie flu, not sure if this affected its lack of longevity.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I inserted it in my abdomen (as the manufacturer says to do) and found it lasted longer if I did less exercise (which was not ideal). I assumed this had something to do with the exercise agitating the sensor: it certainly became tender towards the end of its life.
Others suggested inserting the sensor in the back of my upper arm. As my partner has a "thing about things stuck into people" and I am not a contortionist, this was not possible.

I found the accuracy better than the Libre but still not good enough to convince me to spend much money on it (I was lucky enough to get a trial of 4 sensors). For example, it woke me up in the night complaining of going too low and a finger prick told me I was 6.4.
Given the expense of the CGM, I would advise a short test (e.g. one sensor) to check which category you are in before a large investment.

I realise you are asking about the G5 but, hopefully, my G4 experience is helpful.

@Key_master_ Like @helensaramay i use the G4. G4/G5 sensors are identical.
Sensor lasts 7 days as you know, it's then just a case of re booting the sensor. Telling the receiver that you've installed a new sensor basically.
I place the sensor on the side of my body and have no problems even with heavy exercise daily. Just try not to lay on the sensor during the night.
5 previous sensors have lasted 20 day+ on 4 of them and 9 days on 1. The 9 day one was attached whilst I had Aussie flu, not sure if this affected its lack of longevity.
can the rebooting be done using the dexcom iPhone app or do you need the receiver? I can see me getting it and as I haven’t purchased the receiver will find that I can’t extend them using the app. Haha!! Just my luck..

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Cheers @helensaramay this does help a great deal, I’m seeing a few are using the upper arm just like the libre, I’m a bit cautious of putting anything on my slim abdomin as not much to me.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Key_master_ . I can't be 100% certain as I use the dexcom receiver. Basically 6 hrs before the 7 days is up I get a warning/ countdown. After the 6 hrs the message is " sensor end " at this point I just go to start sensor on the receiver and press go.
I can't see it being any different with the iPhone, after all the app doesn't know that you haven't actually fitted a new sensor.
Sorry can't help more but I'm sure someone will know for certain. Hopefully they'll be along soon.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes you can do well with the appa nd yes you just restart unless you use xdrip which it just continues without the 2 hour warm up every week.

Join xdrip g5 on facebook if you need more info :)

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Key_master_ . I can't be 100% certain as I use the dexcom receiver. Basically 6 hrs before the 7 days is up I get a warning/ countdown. After the 6 hrs the message is " sensor end " at this point I just go to start sensor on the receiver and press go.
I can't see it being any different with the iPhone, after all the app doesn't know that you haven't actually fitted a new sensor.
Sorry can't help more but I'm sure someone will know for certain. Hopefully they'll be along soon.
Thanks a lot, yeah I can’t see it being much different either. Just thought I would as.
yes you can do well with the appa nd yes you just restart unless you use xdrip which it just continues without the 2 hour warm up every week.

Join xdrip g5 on facebook if you need more info :)
thanks a lot. Just request to join. Awesome stuff!!!

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife puts the sensors on the back of arm. She used to use them on her abdomen but found that they last longer on her arm- average of 3 weeks. She restarts the sensor using her iPhone with the dexcom app.

Reactions: Engineer88

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My wife puts the sensors on the back of arm. She used to use them on her abdomen but found that they last longer on her arm- average of 3 weeks. She restarts the sensor using her iPhone with the dexcom app.
Cheers for the feedback crumpy;) very useful info.. thanks