Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8.5 this morning - succumbed to a hot cross bun last night! (was very nice I have to say).
They are something I miss too. Waitrose were selling off packs of mini ones for 28p. I tried one bun instead of lunch yesterday - 16 carbs. Came back 5.2 @ 2 hrs - part of a very, very good day so I have sympathy for you.

James13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! But great that you’ve stuck with it. It’s good for newbies like me to know it’s not always a quick fix.
Hi DJC3. To be fair I'm on metformin and since a couple of months ago, gliclazide. Since those two 5.8s I've been in the 7s, I was 7.0 this morning.

I'm pleased that my first week on Weight Watchers has gone well, lost 4 pounds. But my biggest achievement has been having 25g of chocolate in a week, instead of about 100-150g daily! No other sugary stuff either - sweets, cakes, biscuits etc.

My revelation was that the more chocolate I ate the more I wanted. But having broken that habit now I don't crave sugar like I did.

Good luck and all the best.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DJC3. But my biggest achievement has been having 25g of chocolate in a week, instead of about 100-150g daily! No other sugary stuff either - sweets, cakes, biscuits etc.
@James13 Well done on your progress. Try "coming over to the dark side" re chocolate - melted 100% cocoa mass or dark chocolate with cream and sweetener - liquid is good - works well. You can't eat much as it is very rich and low carb. Maybe worth a try?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DJC3. To be fair I'm on metformin and since a couple of months ago, gliclazide. Since those two 5.8s I've been in the 7s, I was 7.0 this morning.

I'm pleased that my first week on Weight Watchers has gone well, lost 4 pounds. But my biggest achievement has been having 25g of chocolate in a week, instead of about 100-150g daily! No other sugary stuff either - sweets, cakes, biscuits etc.

My revelation was that the more chocolate I ate the more I wanted. But having broken that habit now I don't crave sugar like I did.

I know exactly what you mean about eating chocolate making you want more!

Reactions: ianpspurs

JanetMcDowell

Succum away young Janet I absolve you of all guilt but you will need the fbg fairy for future transgressions - you have an impish look young lady so I suspect the fairy may become a friend!

I’ve punished myself already with a trip round IKEA and Homebase. My husband asked me why I was becoming aggressive. Did he think I was actually enjoying it? I need more than a fbg fairy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve punished myself already with a trip round IKEA and Homebase. My husband asked me why I was becoming aggressive. Did he think I was actually enjoying it? I need more than a fbg fairy.
OMG, no one deserves to do IKEA however bad they may have been:arghh: Barbaric treatment of an innocent young lady.

Last edited:

tsouza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How long is the fast mentioned in these postings? Is it 6-7-8 hours interval after dinner and before breakfast, without any food in between?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is meant by water fast?
A water fast usually means nothing but water all day. Fasting period can be what you said - i.e. from last meal of the day until breakfast - through to 18 hours (IF Intermittent fasting) or 23 hours ( One meal a day). Hope this helps

Last edited:

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is meant by water fast?

Consuming nothing but water. I started at 9pm on Friday (probably ate a bit too much) and finished at 7pm today, so almost three days. Went well, blood sugars have been in the 4s most of the time and in the last week (the first four days of which were just one meal a day) I've lost five and a half pounds.