Type 1 Is it wrong or weird to want to celebrate the day you got diagnosed?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was diagnosed on 5 April 2016, my family don't remember or think it's wrong to want to celebrate it. I don't think it is, it's the day my life changed forever, I consider it a big day for me. As it's only been 2 years, I don't want a cake or anything, I just want to remember it as the day I almost died and the day my life changed. They know my mental health has gotten worse since the diagnosis, but I think it's good that I'm gradually accepting that I have diabetes, slowly but I'm getting there!

Is this wrong or weird? Do you think I should celebrate it? I'm not asking for presents, just maybe some treats like fizzy and sweets and crisps and watch a movie and just be happy that I am still alive and here today.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not wrong and it's a positive outlook on a life changing experience

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Go for it.... not everything is bad about diabetes like people think. It's all personal perspective. A lot of people will admit that diagnosis was what got them to start looking after themselves. Myself included.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alex_B ,

Not wrong at all..!

My D day falls on my birthday, so I can't realy forget the date.

Why not celibrate in the company of friends.? :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My 20th anniversary is coming up, maybe I’ll turn it round from a day of mourning and just have a low carb party instead. Celebrate being alive. I’d not thought of it like that, thank you!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have just celebrated my 57 D-day,it was the day the doctors save my life.Its not long ago that the big D was a death sentence,so I believe in celebrating.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any day is a good day for a celebration! It will 20 years since my t1d diagnosis soon and I was wondering what to do. Trouble is a can't remember the actual date of diagnosis.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
i was diagnosed on 5 April 2016, my family don't remember or think it's wrong to want to celebrate it. I don't think it is, it's the day my life changed forever, I consider it a big day for me. As it's only been 2 years, I don't want a cake or anything, I just want to remember it as the day I almost died and the day my life changed. They know my mental health has gotten worse since the diagnosis, but I think it's good that I'm gradually accepting that I have diabetes, slowly but I'm getting there!

Is this wrong or weird? Do you think I should celebrate it? I'm not asking for presents, just maybe some treats like fizzy and sweets and crisps and watch a movie and just be happy that I am still alive and here today.
Celebrate! :singing::singing::singing:

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I don't think so - good opportunity to have a treat, reflect and be thankful you're still here thanks to the medicine we have available to us.

I've heard this called a diaversary before if you want to give the day a label. :)

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not wrong at all- treat it as a 2nd birthday- its the day you changed- you became the you you're now :) (does that make sense? )

I hid from the date at first but when I started to look at it as my Diaversary then I started to look at my diabetes as something that isn't bad

When you reach a milestone that you set (for myself I wanted to celebrate my 10 year Diaversary) I brought myself a necklace and I've never taken it off. It reminds me who I am and when I see it in the mirror I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment

Reactions: geefull

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
It's not weird at all! My family and I go out to eat or go out and do something fun to celebrate my diaversary! I think it's a positive way to view your diabetes!

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have T2D, but: After one year of psychic problems with it, I changed my view: the diabetes was one of the best things in my life. I had to change my life style - now I’m healthy, full of energy, living full life again. So yes, I celebrate it. Weird but true.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Personally, I do not hate that day when I knew I had diabetes
Because I'm sure it was a long time ago

But I hate the day I ignored him

Reactions: porl69

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree its not odd to mark the day. For me it meant a lot of odd symptoms and problems were explained, and I was able to do something about it. A relief in many ways, if not actually a reason to celebrate. I consider every day that I wake up to be a day to celebrate!

Reactions: rom35