Lidl high protein rolls

pcon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Very disappointed to find out that Lidl have discontinued their high protein rolls - they were great value and I think 9 carbs per roll I could use as a bread alternative and still keep blood sugar under control. Any one have any alternatives to suggest? thanks

Reactions: Prem51

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very disappointed to find out that Lidl have discontinued their high protein rolls - they were great value and I think 9 carbs per roll I could use as a bread alternative and still keep blood sugar under control. Any one have any alternatives to suggest? thanks

There's been so many threads about these recently that I think we need a whole forum dedicated to them!

It is indeed a tragedy.

Currently I'm liking LivLife bread from Waitrose as an alternative. Not as low in carbs but very good, and one thing it has going for it is that it toasts better than the Lidl rolls.

Somebody started a thread about a bread from a Polish shop which was even lower in carbs per 100g than the Lidl rolls, so if you have any Polish shops near you, it may be worth a visit.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use HiLo bread from Sainsbury’s, they are small slices at 5g carbs each, so 10g carbs for two slices, which will give you about the same amount of bread for similar amount of carbs to a Lidl roll. I prefer HiLo, it’s not as dense as the Lidl rolls which I personally wasn’t that keen on.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use HiLo bread from Sainsbury’s, they are small slices at 5g carbs each, so 10g carbs for two slices, which will give you about the same amount of bread for similar amount of carbs to a Lidl roll. I prefer HiLo, it’s not as dense as the Lidl rolls which I personally wasn’t that keen on.

That's good to know, my nearest Sainsbury's is a hell of a lot closer than the nearest Waitrose that stocks the LivLife bread, and they are practically the same carbs per 100g. I'll be giving that a try.

Reactions: dbr10 and Rachox

pcon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just now seen all the other threads re the demise of the protein rolls!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed in Asda today that they have own-brand high protein flatbreads. It's 44g carbs/100g - one flatbread weighed 33g so it works out at around 14g for one I think (warning: maths is not my strong point....). Too high for most but if that can be tolerated then they do look nice. I bought a pack to see what the carbs were for one but mine have gone into the freezer, to be given to visitors :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is nowhere within reasonable travel that sells Hi-Lo or Live-life. I am stuck with Burgen as the lowest carb bread and it spikes me to the sky and doesn't come back to base for a long time. Even half a slice is unacceptable. I am clearly intolerant of it.

I have come to the conclusion it isn't a matter of how few carbs there are, it is a matter of ingredients. Burgen has a lot less fat and a lot less fibre per 100g than the Lidl rolls.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Tbh I stopped buying bread 5 weeks ago and BG’s are way lower. :)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've still got a lot of LivLife bread in my freezer after making a big journey to a Waitrose about 20 miles away and stocking up. I think it's pretty good.

However I couldn't resist getting some of the HiLo stuff from Sainsbury's recently after you mentioned it, just to see what it was like.

I've had two slices now, one as it came a few days ago, and one toasted this morning.

I think it's a winner!

I'd always thought of Lidl's rolls, much as I love and miss them, to be 'fake bread' because the texture inside just wasn't quite right. The same applies to LivLife - very similar texture. This Hi-Lo stuff is different. A far more traditional bread-like texture, and I like that it's cut thicker than LivLife.

I think it's very similar to normal posh seeded loaves but with about a third of the carbs.

It's a bit pricier than LivLife, but since it saves me a ton of driving to get hold of it, it's a winner all round for me, thanks for the recommendation.

I'd definitely recommend anyone tries it if they haven't already and they can get hold of it, especially if they are mourning the loss of Lidl's rolls!

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi, haven't been on the forum for a while, life got in the way ..... :) i too have been missing the lidl rolls, so good to know that there are some alternatives to try out there. i tried warboys protein bread and my bg levels afterwards were acceptable, though not as good as with the lidl rolls, but it tastes like cardboard, so in the freezer only to be used when i'm desperate for a slice of toast. incidentally, i tried one of lidl's 'low gi' rolls and my bg went up to 9.5 afterwards ..... have sent a 'yours disgusted' email to them :dead: am close to both sainsbury's and waitrose, so will try out the alternatives suggested.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
oh, and i found a great keto bread recipe using almond flour and coconut flour - i can make it in a few minutes in the microwave, which is real bonus - but obviously much richer than ordinary bread, so not something i can eat too much of or too often. there seem to be quite a few different recipes available on the web.

lindisfel

Expert
I thought coconut flour was quite high in carbs, Kathy?
Derek
oh, and i found a great keto bread recipe using almond flour and coconut flour - i can make it in a few minutes in the microwave, which is real bonus - but obviously much richer than ordinary bread, so not something i can eat too much of or too often. there seem to be quite a few different recipes available on the web.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
it may be, but you only use a little - i think it's to give it more fibre, but you can also leave it out i think, and still get good results. i just don't have the patience to pore over exact amounts of grams of carbs in each thing,so i eat to my meter - if something i eat doesn't really affect my levels (well below 7 after eating) it becomes a staple; if it pushes them up a little i eat it every now and then; if it pushes them up a lot (higher than 7.5), then either i don't eat it at all, or only on very rare occasions. generally, i aim to average bg levels of 6 including fasting, random and post-meal testing.

lindisfel

Expert
Coconut flour is 16g carb per hundred against 80 odd g for wheat flour
I wouldn't dream of using normal wheat flour Rachox! But I am using some wheat protein flour (gluten flour) at present. It would be difficult getting the carb down enough with certain flours and then one has the problem of getting them to rise and get the right texture.
regards
Derek

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't dream of using normal wheat flour Rachox! But I am using some wheat protein flour (gluten flour) at present. It would be difficult getting the carb down enough with certain flours and then one has the problem of getting them to rise and get the right texture.
regards
Derek

I didn’t think for a minute you would. I was just quoting the wheat flour carb content as a comparison to the coconut flour.