1 month in

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everybody
Ive not been on here much lately as my depression has kicked me about some and have not been feeling social at all. Increase in sertraline meds will hopefully settle that. I am 1 month in to diagnosis and have struggled somewhat with the low carb eating lately. Ive now had 2 weekend binges (sat night) with eating carbs and such rubbish which has elevated my bg readings to 8.4. I have been averaging 6.6 in mornings first thing and 5.4 5.6 during the day. Is it dangerous to be going up to over 8? I understand that i need to keep under 5.5 but dont really understand what happens to my body when it is going into the not normal range.
Any advice would be gratefully received
x G

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everybody
Ive not been on here much lately as my depression has kicked me about some and have not been feeling social at all. Increase in sertraline meds will hopefully settle that. I am 1 month in to diagnosis and have struggled somewhat with the low carb eating lately. Ive now had 2 weekend binges (sat night) with eating carbs and such rubbish which has elevated my bg readings to 8.4. I have been averaging 6.6 in mornings first thing and 5.4 5.6 during the day. Is it dangerous to be going up to over 8? I understand that i need to keep under 5.5 but dont really understand what happens to my body when it is going into the not normal range.
Any advice would be gratefully received
x G
It is not dangerous to go over 8mmol/l. And you don't need to keep it below 5.5 either (who told you that?).
You should be aiming to keep your BG level between 4 and 7. It will fluctuate no matter how hard you try. If your BG levels are _regularly or consistently_ over 7, then you risk doing long-term neuropathic or cardiovascular damage to yourself.
Don't cut yourself up about an ocassional blip, but do resolve not to make carb-y binges a regular thing. If you need to occassionally binge, plan ahead and binge on things that fit around being diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all set our own targets, and when we meet them regularly, we can lower them. The standards set by the NHS are quite generous, but say 4 to 7 before meals and under 8.5 after meals. Personally, I aim to be between 4 and 5.5 fasting, at bedtime, and before meals, and under 7 after meals, but that is just my personal aim. (being human I don't always meet this!)

Fasting BG is notoriously unpredictable and isn't always related to what we have eaten. Disturbed sleep, anxiety, and the timing of the test all play a part. The best indication of how we are doing is usually the levels before evening meal, and then of course, the amount by which we rise after eating (this should be under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less at the 2 hour mark)

Reactions: Sue192

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not dangerous to go over 8mmol/l. And you don't need to keep it below 5.5 either (who told you that?).
You should be aiming to keep your BG level between 4 and 7. It will fluctuate no matter how hard you try. If your BG levels are _regularly or consistently_ over 7, then you risk doing long-term neuropathic or cardiovascular damage to yourself.
Don't cut yourself up about an ocassional blip, but do resolve not to make carb-y binges a regular thing. If you need to occassionally binge, plan ahead and binge on things that fit around being diabetic.
thank you Bertyboy that is a relief to know i cant remember who told me those numbers but it is what i have been trying to aim for. I know that having a binge is not good and if my planning had been better I would have been able to make some foods to help through the social occasion. Still getting my head around it all at present.

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all set our own targets, and when we meet them regularly, we can lower them. The standards set by the NHS are quite generous, but say 4 to 7 before meals and under 8.5 after meals. Personally, I aim to be between 4 and 5.5 fasting, at bedtime, and before meals, and under 7 after meals, but that is just my personal aim. (being human I don't always meet this!)

Fasting BG is notoriously unpredictable and isn't always related to what we have eaten. Disturbed sleep, anxiety, and the timing of the test all play a part. The best indication of how we are doing is usually the levels before evening meal, and then of course, the amount by which we rise after eating (this should be under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less at the 2 hour mark)
Thanks Bluetit1802
I haven't actually set a specific target just been trying to be under 5.5 and thought if i went over I would be damaging my organs. Need to do more learning I think x

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My morning readings are usually beteeen 5.5 and 7 depending on how quickly my liver wakes up and dumps stored Glucose. By just before lunch though it is always just over 4. It seems to go up later in the day for no apparent reason until it settles at about 6.5 to 7 before bed. It does not seem to matter how little carb you eat as the liver will always find stored Glucose to keep you going. If it did not and you ate no carb or fat you would simply collapse exhusted in a heap. This is why some T2 drugs cause your Blood Glucose to go too low as they keep blocking the liver from feeding Glucose into the blood even when your body knows it needs energy.
Low carb is most certainly the way to go. It does take time though so keep the faith and stay positive. After a while I found eating any refined sugar product tasted awful. For a treat I eat 99% chocolate. Tasts like chocolate should taste in my opinion. Binge on that if you need to binge or grill up eggs sausages and bacon.

Reactions: gilllsmaad

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My morning readings are usually beteeen 5.5 and 7 depending on how quickly my liver wakes up and dumps stored Glucose. By just before lunch though it is always just over 4. It seems to go up later in the day for no apparent reason until it settles at about 6.5 to 7 before bed. It does not seem to matter how little carb you eat as the liver will always find stored Glucose to keep you going. If it did not and you ate no carb or fat you would simply collapse exhusted in a heap. This is why some T2 drugs cause your Blood Glucose to go too low as they keep blocking the liver from feeding Glucose into the blood even when your body knows it needs energy.
Low carb is most certainly the way to go. It does take time though so keep the faith and stay positive. After a while I found eating any refined sugar product tasted awful. For a treat I eat 99% chocolate. Tasts like chocolate should taste in my opinion. Binge on that if you need to binge or grill up eggs sausages and bacon.
thanks acs1951 for your reply i will try your suggestion, i think i am just needing time getting used to low carbs mostly i have not been particularly hungry but i have found when i did have some eg crisps or something similar i found it hard to stop x

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I could achieve your levels gillsmaad. I am a very atypical T2 and I struggle to keep my levels below 7 even if I don't eat. They are always high after a meal unless I have exercised directly after eating. I too have an occasional naughty day when I am feeling low; those carbs are a great comforter!!! You will soon get the hang of things and hopefully your body will respond better than mine. It is likely that I was a diabetic without symptoms for 8 to 10 years before diagnosis hance my struggle.

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is a struggle for all of us but we are all sitting in the same boat until a wonder drug comes along.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a struggle for all of us but we are all sitting in the same boat until a wonder drug comes along.
Not sure I can agree with that. I just eat well and even if a "wonder drug" came along I would carry on eating well and try to avoid taking it.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You have learn something from your 'binges', that you need to plan ahead for an event. Work out some treats for yourself for after a hard day or to enjoy at a special 'do'. Try not to have high carb foods in the home, I find they are too tempting. High percentage chocolate and cream make scrummy truffles, explore the range of cheeses available all make a good start to finding a solution to the 'binge' temptation.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Try not to have high carb foods in the home, I find they are too tempting."
Impossible for me as my husband eats all the things I can't and the house is always full of goodies; his diet is awful but he won't change.

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could achieve your levels gillsmaad. I am a very atypical T2 and I struggle to keep my levels below 7 even if I don't eat. They are always high after a meal unless I have exercised directly after eating. I too have an occasional naughty day when I am feeling low; those carbs are a great comforter!!! You will soon get the hang of things and hopefully your body will respond better than mine. It is likely that I was a diabetic without symptoms for 8 to 10 years before diagnosis hance my struggle.
thank you for replying is there a reason your levels are slightly higher? i am staying inline a bit better this week but you are right carbs are a comfort and think ive struggled with eating when its menstruation time :-(

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up about your binges, @gilllsmaad - you are battling enough with depression and that is stress which can affect your levels. You are only one month in to a new way of eating - it takes a long time to sort it all out. As others have said, it's not only what you eat: stress, sleeplessness and other factors have an adverse effect. Get out into the sunshine if you can, either walking or just sitting quietly in the shade listening to the birds - that's a huge 'lift' for me - and be gentle on yourself.

Reactions: rom35

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
my hba1c is 84

is it too bad?
An A1c of 84 is too high, yes. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers. You may like to post in the 'Ask a Question' part of the forum for more tailored advice.

Wecome to the forum, have a wander around and ask as many questions as you like.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my hba1c is 84

is it too bad?

yes it is very very high, but you can get it down by changing what you eat ... in this cheme note that only the green area is the non-diabtic healthy area

50shades - Copy.png

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Try not to have high carb foods in the home, I find they are too tempting."
Impossible for me as my husband eats all the things I can't and the house is always full of goodies; his diet is awful but he won't change.
Not easy when having young children still at home but I do my best and we dont have cakes or biscuits at home. They have bread and potato some pasta but that's about it and I have non of that anymore unless I'm naughty bingeing