Read the flipping ingredients

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Easter Sunday I was stoked. Non diabetic readings all day. Evening meal was guinea fowl with salad, it was lovely.

Post meal reading 9.6. WHAT?????

Carb per 100g 1.4.

Ingredients, first guinea fowl as expected, second ingredient?

Wheat glucose syrup.

Spent the rest of the evening beating myself up. Over it now, chalking it up to newbie mistake.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens, and sometimes we don't have the options of an ingredient list or nutritional values, and we just roll the dice... As long as it's a one-off, and you enjoyed the dish, well... No permanent harm done.

Reactions: xfieldok

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
And sometimes the writing is so small, I give up trying to read the ingredients list or carb content!

They don't make it easy. If I am having a new food I will go on the supermarkets' own site to look at the nutritional info before I buy.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Easter Sunday I was stoked. Non diabetic readings all day. Evening meal was guinea fowl with salad, it was lovely.

Carb per 100g 1.4.

Wheat glucose syrup.

Spent the rest of the evening beating myself up. Over it now, chalking it up to newbie mistake.
Blame the criminals who put that totally unnecessary and harmful syrup into a savoury dish. It is like being mugged - OK, maybe I should avoid those dark streets in future, but the blame rests 100% on the perpetrator.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Ocado the nutritional information is great. It is entirely my own fault not to read the ingredients. It is a mistake I won't make again. Having to read every label takes forever, I also have to check for malt for OH.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never tried Rollmop Herrings so I bought a pot in Sainsbury's. As they are fish it didn't occur to me to read the ingredients. They tasted sweet so looked and they were 20% sugar!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never tried Rollmop Herrings so I bought a pot in Sainsbury's. As they are fish it didn't occur to me to read the ingredients. They tasted sweet so looked and they were 20% sugar!
We need an emoticon for "SHOCK HORROR"!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That is exactly why I started reading the ingredients list as well as the nutritional values. Lots of 'oses' in those lists to confound us.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blame the criminals who put that totally unnecessary and harmful syrup into a savoury dish. It is like being mugged - OK, maybe I should avoid those dark streets in future, but the blame rests 100% on the perpetrator.

I think companies that do this should be hit with the sugar tax. Everyone expects fizzy drinks, cakes & sweets to contain sugar, but not savoury food.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
I had sea bass with green veg (no added sugar) and my bloods have been 12.2 most of the day! Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason!

D

Deleted member 308541

We need an emoticon for "SHOCK HORROR"!
Here you go...

freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png

Code for the above smiley.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/shocked/freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png[/IMG]

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im a newbie, diagnosed type 2 started Metformin today. Im surprised at your surprise at a BG of 9.6! My BG is 9/10 in the morning and 12/15 during the day. So Im guessing this is not good then...
im totally overwhelmed by food Labelling

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Glitter 2
I am a newbie too. DX November with HbA1c of 122, average of 18 a day. Easter Sunday would have been my first day entirely within non diabetic range - if only I hadn't cocked it up.

Ii does get easier, keep reading the forum and ask questions.

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reply @xfieldok
My HbA1c was 67 so not so bad I guess. Do you take any meds ? I’m hoping to learn as much as possible here.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Carb per 100g 1.4.

Wheat glucose syrup.

Exactly how much did you eat?!? At 1.4 / 100g, that really isn't that many carbs unless you ate a LOT of it. You could possible be sensitive to the ingredient I guess.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im a newbie, diagnosed type 2 started Metformin today. Im surprised at your surprise at a BG of 9.6! My BG is 9/10 in the morning and 12/15 during the day. So Im guessing this is not good then...
im totally overwhelmed by food Labelling

Exactly the kind of morning and daytime numbers I was getting last year when I started taking T2 seriously. No they are not good, but don't panic, keep reading this forum and taking appropriate action and you will likely be on top of things very quickly!

Kevin McD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
I'm a newbie and ended up in hospital with blood sugar levels running at 49!! it was so high that the glucose meter on the hospital ward didn' go high enough so bloods we're sent to the lab and that's when I found it the 49 BG !! I had no idea abt being type2 and looking back I now know that it's been going on for around 5yrs prior to being hospitalised even though I had BG checked quite a few times ...I was straight to insulin injections and unfortunately had some severe complications with such high reading that my kidneys are damaged and nerve damage from Neuropathy has resulted in me having to Self catheter to empty my bladder cos I have no sensation to the nerves that tell you it's time to visit the loo ...my eyes are damaged too and have cataracts in both eyes