Type 1 Packing for going abroad!

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Medical stuff = hand luggage (I know I need to put stuff in trays)

Fruit Pastilles = suitcase? Do I need to declare them? If so how??

I'm going from Birmingham- Copenhagen- Narita...

at Copenhagen how will it work? Will I see my suitcase? Will I need to declare medical hand held stuff again? Will I need to declare Fruit Pastilles again?

at Narita will I need to declare medical equipment & fruit Pastilles or none?

Sorry never done a 2 flight journey before and have only travelled as a minor with school/ scouts.
Google is useless

I fly on the 6th early in the morning so I'm running short of time

D

Deleted Account

I would put EVERYTHING in your hand luggage, including fruit pastilles. You never know what you may need during the long flight and you don't want to risk losing anything if your luggage goes awry.
I am not aware of any reason why you need to proactively declare anything unless they ask if you have any sharps or, at security spot something in the x-ray. I recommend having a doctors note on hand just in case. I have been travelling regularly (with transfers) with diabetes for nearly 15 years and only had to show mine once.

I cannot remember/spot how you treat your diabetes - is it with a pen or a pump.
Whichever it is, make sure you have backups of everything.
If it is a pump, don't let it be x-rayed.

You are unlikely to see your suitcase until you get to your final destination (a few countries, like USA are awkward with transfers but Denmark is fine).
You may have to be security searched (through the x-rays) at Copenhagen. Different airports vary so I am not sure.

The only reason I can think of to declare your fruit pastilles is if Japan has strict rules on importing food. Sorry I have never been to Japan (but would love to). Otherwise, there is no need.

Have an amazing trip.

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would put EVERYTHING in your hand luggage, including fruit pastilles. You never know what you may need during the long flight and you don't want to risk losing anything if your luggage goes awry.
I am not aware of any reason why you need to proactively declare anything unless they ask if you have any sharps or, at security spot something in the x-ray. I recommend having a doctors note on hand just in case. I have been travelling regularly (with transfers) with diabetes for nearly 15 years and only had to show mine once.

I cannot remember/spot how you treat your diabetes - is it with a pen or a pump.
Whichever it is, make sure you have backups of everything.
If it is a pump, don't let it be x-rayed.

You are unlikely to see your suitcase until you get to your final destination (a few countries, like USA are awkward with transfers but Denmark is fine).
You may have to be security searched (through the x-rays) at Copenhagen. Different airports vary so I am not sure.

The only reason I can think of to declare your fruit pastilles is if Japan has strict rules on importing food. Sorry I have never been to Japan (but would love to). Otherwise, there is no need.

Have an amazing trip.

Hiya, thanks so much first of all!

Now I know liquids have a limit, is there any limit on food (i.e. the fruit Pastilles) in hand luggage?

Have you been to Copenhagen airport btw as I really don't know what to expect regarding a transfer.

Will the X-ray machines mess up my blood tester too? I use the testers that sensors come with but as I don't have sensors on prescription I'm going to use strips (adios finger tips and all that)

Thanks so much in advance!!!

D

Deleted Account

Hiya, thanks so much first of all!
No problem. Happy to help.

Now I know liquids have a limit, is there any limit on food (i.e. the fruit Pastilles) in hand luggage?
I have never come across a food limit for personal use. I am not sure how long you are going for or how many fruit pastilles you have but I would be incredibly surprised if you come close to the level of becoming a "pastille dealer"

Have you been to Copenhagen airport btw as I really don't know what to expect regarding a transfer.
I have but a long time ago and airports tend to change.
But I have been through transfers and, if you follow the signs, it should be clear where to do and what to do.

Will the X-ray machines mess up my blood tester too? I use the testers that sensors come with but as I don't have sensors on prescription I'm going to use strips (adios finger tips and all that)
Our blood testing meters are x-ray friendly (or should that be the other way around?). If I was to count the number of times my meter has been tested, I would have to take off my shoes and socks to help and would still run out of fingers and toes to count. My meter is fine.
However, that has reminded me of one tip - don't forget to take batteries for your meter (or ability to recharge if it is rechargeable).

I'm still jealous of you going to Japan, Have an amazing time.

Reactions: Dodo

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Medical stuff = hand luggage (I know I need to put stuff in trays)
1. Fruit Pastilles = suitcase?
Yes, you can put as much stuff as you like into your suit case from Birmingham. Just notice that you will not see it again until you land in Tokyo. But always good to bring with you some familiar sweets, though the Japanese have similar good stuff locally also.:)

2. Do I need to declare them? If so how??
No.

3. I'm going from Birmingham- Copenhagen- Narita...
Great route, easy peasy! No worries really, all well coordinated and developed 'western world style' all the way for you.
(Disclosure, I am Danish myself but living abroad since 1991)

4. at Copenhagen how will it work?
You land from UK, so you will already be in the INTL flight departures area.
Cant say though if you need to walk from one gate area finger to another, as depend on their flight arrangements.
But it will in any case be a short walk of 10-15 mins max in roughly the same terminal area.
(max in from the finger you landed in, up to the main intl airport main hall and then down out in the gate finger your plane to Tokyo departs from)

5. Will I see my suitcase?
No. You check it in direct to destination when dropping it in Birmingham.

6. Will I need to declare medical hand held stuff again?
No, most probably not. Actually as it is, I never ever declared any medical handheld ever in my life and I fly non-stop. But yes, you might need to go through a body and handheld luggage scan again to get out to your Tokyo departure gate.
As it is, they spend more time security checking you hair-gel and toothpaste tubes these days. :)

7. Will I need to declare Fruit Pastilles again?
No, and you never needed to in the first place.

8. at Narita will I need to declare medical equipment & fruit Pastilles or none?
None. Its not fresh farmer produce, its not vegetable seeds, its not a live organism. Its not illegal drugs, its not...

Btw, I always buy one or two 1/2liter bottle of full sugar drinks to take in my hand luggage, when landing in the last transit airport before getting onto one of the long-haul flights to the Americas or Asia, as you then always have that handy with you both in the airplane but also when you land in your destination airport 12-20 hours later. And as you are in the already security-checked zone, then you are allowed to bring that onto the airplane in your hand luggage. And this is great as especially when landing in that foreign place, you don't know always how quick you can proceed through immigration and passport controls, how far you need to walk and to get your checked-in suitcase etc before you can get outside into the arrival hall where you have shops and ATM machines to be able to buy your sugars locally in case you should go hypo in all the excitement. :)

Enjoy and have a great trip - Yōkoso!

Reactions: Dodo and Dana_Heath

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem. Happy to help.

I have never come across a food limit for personal use. I am not sure how long you are going for or how many fruit pastilles you have but I would be incredibly surprised if you come close to the level of becoming a "pastille dealer"

I have but a long time ago and airports tend to change.
But I have been through transfers and, if you follow the signs, it should be clear where to do and what to do.

Our blood testing meters are x-ray friendly (or should that be the other way around?). If I was to count the number of times my meter has been tested, I would have to take off my shoes and socks to help and would still run out of fingers and toes to count. My meter is fine.
However, that has reminded me of one tip - don't forget to take batteries for your meter (or ability to recharge if it is rechargeable).

I'm still jealous of you going to Japan, Have an amazing time.

Ok -thank you ever so much!!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1. Fruit Pastilles = suitcase?
Yes, you can put as much stuff as you like into your suit case from Birmingham. Just notice that you will not see it again until you land in Tokyo. But always good to bring with you some familiar sweets, though the Japanese have similar good stuff locally also.:)

2. Do I need to declare them? If so how??
No.

3. I'm going from Birmingham- Copenhagen- Narita...
Great route, easy peasy! No worries really, all well coordinated and developed 'western world style' all the way for you.
(Disclosure, I am Danish myself but living abroad since 1991)

4. at Copenhagen how will it work?
You land from UK, so you will already be in the INTL flight departures area.
Cant say though if you need to walk from one gate area finger to another, as depend on their flight arrangements.
But it will in any case be a short walk of 10-15 mins max in roughly the same terminal area.
(max in from the finger you landed in, up to the main intl airport main hall and then down out in the gate finger your plane to Tokyo departs from)

5. Will I see my suitcase?
No. You check it in direct to destination when dropping it in Birmingham.

6. Will I need to declare medical hand held stuff again?
No, most probably not. Actually as it is, I never ever declared any medical handheld ever in my life and I fly non-stop. But yes, you might need to go through a body and handheld luggage scan again to get out to your Tokyo departure gate.
As it is, they spend more time security checking you hair-gel and toothpaste tubes these days. :)

7. Will I need to declare Fruit Pastilles again?
No, and you never needed to in the first place.

8. at Narita will I need to declare medical equipment & fruit Pastilles or none?
None. Its not fresh farmer produce, its not vegetable seeds, its not a live organism. Its not illegal drugs, its not...

Btw, I always buy one or two 1/2liter bottle of full sugar drinks to take in my hand luggage, when landing in the last transit airport before getting onto one of the long-haul flights to the Americas or Asia, as you then always have that handy with you both in the airplane but also when you land in your destination airport 12-20 hours later. And as you are in the already security-checked zone, then you are allowed to bring that onto the airplane in your hand luggage. And this is great as especially when landing in that foreign place, you don't know always how quick you can proceed through immigration and passport controls, how far you need to walk and to get your checked-in suitcase etc before you can get outside into the arrival hall where you have shops and ATM machines to be able to buy your sugars locally in case you should go hypo in all the excitement. :)

Enjoy and have a great trip - Yōkoso!

Ah thank you so much! You've both calmed my nerves

Reactions: Kim Possible

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Airlines are far more clever than what one might think. The itinerary tracking would stun most as would the control over interline connections

Reactions: Dana_Heath

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Airlines are far more clever than what one might think. The itinerary tracking would stun most as would the control over interline connections

Fingers crossed then!! I shouldn't see them as a massive obstacle then?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No way Dana. Gates and departure lounges are the only thing to concern yourself with. Celsus was right on the money

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I'm probably not the right person to answer as I always just take short flights(London-Stockholm and vice versa) but I just stuff all my extra insulin and sensors etc alongside my clothes in my suitcase that fits the hand luggage criteria, have a laptop bag that also holds a bunch of chargers etc and then carry whatever else I need in my pockets, like the current flexpen I'm using. As for emergency sugar etc I just get stuff at the terminal.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The U.K. Civil Airline Authority has a very useful page for medical professionals. https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Be...y/Guidance-for-health-professionals/Diabetes/
So always have all your diabetes supplies in hand luggage. If you need more space or weight because of this, contact the airline Special Assistance dept. to get a waiver for extra hand baggage in the cabin. You may need a letter from a medical professional for this but clinics are used to supplying that.
Pump users should always disconnect it when pressure is changing at beginning and end of a flight. https://asweetlife.org/what-you-should-know-about-flying-with-an-insulin-pump/

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
When travelling within the EU I place all liquid medications in a clear plastic bag put them in the grey tray with a copy of my prescription.
My blood machine goes in their too.
I split my spare insulin between mine and my wifes suitcase.
I only travel to sunny holiday places and have never been quizzed yet.

Enjoy yourself

Tony

Parky

I’ve been to Japan and flew home from Narita airport. I declared my insulin pens and it took them almost 10 mins to decide they were ok. They didn’t look at my letter from the doctor but were very unsure. UK, US and European airports no problem. I have a ‘belt and braces’ attitude to travel. I put pens, test kit etc in my hand luggage but also have backups in my suitcase. I always make sure I have spares of everything. Travelling with Insulin supplies is far easier these days than 35 years ago when I first started to travel.

Reactions: B583 and Dana_Heath

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Two pieces of advice I was given was not to put insulin in the hold as the low temperatures there may deactivate insulin and make it unusable and to split my supplies with the person travelling with me so that I find either of our bags were lost I would not be without supplies

I recently travelled and much to my surprise had absolutely no problems

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pump users should always disconnect it when pressure is changing at beginning and end of a flight. https://asweetlife.org/what-you-should-know-about-flying-with-an-insulin-pump/
That is actually quite an observation and guidance.
Sorry for my ignorance, but does that then also mean that pump users should disconnect when they do alpine skiing???
Taking a cabin lift from bottom to the top gives you more pressure change than taking off in an airplane.
Same and even worse when you shortly after race skiing downhill, which you do faster than the climb/drop of the airplane.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two pieces of advice I was given was not to put insulin in the hold as the low temperatures there may deactivate insulin and make it unusable and to split my supplies with the person travelling with me so that I find either of our bags were lost I would not be without supplies

I recently travelled and much to my surprise had absolutely no problems
Just to clarify an often repeated myth about traveling with airplanes:
The checked-in luggage kept in the airplane's cargo hold bay is both pressurized and temp controlled at all times!
Lowest temperature in any commercial airplane cargo area is 5 degrees Celsius. (OK, I only count on those companies that are security approved to fly in Europe and North America..) Most even keep it at minimum 18 degrees Celsius. Reason being many, but also consider the "live" cargo they often carry (pets, live animals for restaurant menus, etc). Most of the larger wide-body aircrafts also have galley facilities in the cargo hold area that flight attendants have to access during flight. The Airbus airplane range can technically adjust their cargo hold temperature between 5 degrees Celsius and 25 degrees. Their flight instructions uses the default setting of minimum 15 degrees. As it is, the cabin air is being reconditioned through the vent shafts and then blown into the cargo hold area. So yes, typically degrees below the cabin but never freezing.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to clarify an often repeated myth about traveling with airplanes:
The checked-in luggage kept in the airplane's cargo hold bay is both pressurized and temp controlled at all times!
Lowest temperature in any commercial airplane cargo area is 5 degrees Celsius. (OK, I only count on those companies that are security approved to fly in Europe and North America..) Most even keep it at minimum 18 degrees Celsius. Reason being many, but also consider the "live" cargo they often carry (pets, live animals for restaurant menus, etc). Most of the larger wide-body aircrafts also have galley facilities in the cargo hold area that flight attendants have to access during flight. The Airbus airplane range can technically adjust their cargo hold temperature between 5 degrees Celsius and 25 degrees. Their flight instructions uses the default setting of minimum 15 degrees. As it is, the cabin air is being reconditioned through the vent shafts and then blown into the cargo hold area. So yes, typically degrees below the cabin but never freezing.
The Civil Airline Authority CAA, are not given to repeating myth and as the U.K. airline Passenger safety legislator, can be expected to know a great deal about aircraft and risks.
Their statement for medical professionals (linked above) is clear
“It is essential that the diabetic passenger carries adequate equipment and medication in their hand baggage. It is important that insulin is not packed in the hold baggage even if it is not being used during the flight as insulin in the hold may be exposed to temperatures that could degrade it and there is the potential risk of loss of baggage en-route. Insulin may be satisfactorily carried in a cool bag for even the longest sector. “

Last edited:

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is actually quite an observation and guidance.
Sorry for my ignorance, but does that then also mean that pump users should disconnect when they do alpine skiing???
Taking a cabin lift from bottom to the top gives you more pressure change than taking off in an airplane.
Same and even worse when you shortly after race skiing downhill, which you do faster than the climb/drop of the airplane.
Again the CAA confirm it. “Patients who use insulin pumps should also be aware of the potential impact of changes in the cabin air pressure on insulin delivery. The reduction in ambient pressure on ascent may lead to a slight increase in delivery of insulin as a result of the formation / expansion of air bubbles, which may be sufficient to cause symptomatic hypoglycemia. A more severe impact could be seen in the (rare) event of sudden decompression of the cabin at altitude. A slight reduction in insulin delivery is also possible during descent.”
The pressure change can be equivalent to 8,000 ft (vertical!) in normal operations. Much more in the case of decompression. The longest chairlifts may approach 8,000 ft but in length, not in height.

And if you wish for medical evidence - http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/9/1932

“CONCLUSIONS Atmospheric pressure reduction causes predictable, unintended insulin delivery in pumps by bubble formation and expansion of existing bubbles.

A 10-year-old girl with well-controlled type 1 diabetes managed with insulin pump therapy developed recurrent hypoglycemia 60 to 90 min after commencing commercial air travel. Upon direct inquiry, we are now aware of 50 children and adults using insulin pumps who experience this phenomenon.

In 1994, Aanderud et al. (1) demonstrated that insulin pumps delivered “more insulin than the set rate during decompression.” At sea level, the ambient pressure is 760 mmHg (1 atmosphere). When commercial planes ascend to 40,000 feet, the cabin pressure decreases by 200 mmHg to 560 mmHg (cabin pressure equivalent of 8,000 feet) (2). The objective of this study was to investigate the effects of pressure changes during airplane flight on insulin pump delivery.”

The study ends with recommendations that pumps should be disconnected before takeoff and landing.

“We recommend for flights:

1. The cartridge should only contain 1.5 mL of insulin.

2. Disconnect the pump before takeoff.

3. At cruising altitude, take the cartridge out of the pump and remove any air bubbles before reconnecting.

4. After the airplane lands, disconnect the pump and prime the line with 2 units. Then reconnect the pump.

5. During flight emergencies involving cabin decompression, disconnect the insulin pump.
Insulin pumps deliver excess insulin as ambient pressure decreases, which may cause hypoglycemia. ”

Last edited:

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Civil Airline Authority CAA, are not given to repeating myth and as the U.K. airline Passenger safety legislator, can be expected to know a great deal about aircraft and risks.
Their statement for medical professionals (linked above) is clear
“It is essential that the diabetic passenger carries adequate equipment and medication in their hand baggage. It is important that insulin is not packed in the hold baggage even if it is not being used during the flight as insulin in the hold may be exposed to temperatures that could degrade it and there is the potential risk of loss of baggage en-route. Insulin may be satisfactorily carried in a cool bag for even the longest sector. “
Bill, at no point did I say that you shouldn't carry all of your insulin in your carry on?
Always keep all of your insulin and gear with you in your carry on!
But I wanted to debunk the myth that stowed luggage is in no pressure or in below freezing.
Because that is a myth. :)

Last edited: