Read the flipping ingredients

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easter Sunday I was stoked. Non diabetic readings all day. Evening meal was guinea fowl with salad, it was lovely.

Post meal reading 9.6. WHAT?????

Carb per 100g 1.4.

Ingredients, first guinea fowl as expected, second ingredient?

Wheat glucose syrup.

Spent the rest of the evening beating myself up. Over it now, chalking it up to newbie mistake.

Tell me about it. Nightmare.

This Easter I've been struggling to buy the right sort of eggs.

I thought I'd been particularly clever at one point and managed to get cream and eggs in one product, but my blood sugar wasn't at all happy afterwards. I was quite shocked when I later read the ingredients.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nexus6 I had two reasonable slices and left some for the dog. What triggered the high reading was the wheat glucose syrup. If I had taken time to read the ingredients I wouldn't have bought it.

Glitter 2 I was started on Metformin in January. I read about it on the forum and asked for the slow release version. I increased the dosage every three days until I was on 4 a day. I also take multi vitamin diabetic. For high blood pressure I take 5mg amlodipine and for migraines I take 80mg propranolol.

I think the weird migraines were actually caused by the undiagnosed diabetes. I will be asking to review my meds with a view to starting a fasting program in May.

Kevin McD I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. You will find a wealth of information on this forum, the people here are wonderful. Do read as much as you can. Please consider the LCHF diet, ignore the NHS cow poo advice about diets and lookup Jason Fung for his YouTube video s.

Ask lots of questions, I wish you well.

Reactions: Kevin McD

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Adam James, you should have got a brown one that had been laid by a chicken!

Standard4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think there is a part missing to shown address for smiley, corrected one shown below. Missing [/IMG] at RIGHT end of shown text in original post. (Have removed "IMG" from left end also, to show address.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/shocked/freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png

Here you go...

freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lindijanice
D

Deleted member 308541

I think there is a part missing to shown address for smiley, corrected one shown below. Missing [/IMG]

Here you go...
It seems that you did not scroll to the right hand side of the code box where the rest of the image tag is.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/shocked/freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png[/IMG]

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guinea fowl as a meat contains hardly any carbs, the mistake was to purchase a processed/packaged version. If you had bought a whole unadulterated bird you'd have been fine.

Assuming it was the ocado Roast Guinea Fowl with Cepe & Raisin Stuffing Frozen 1kg, that would have been in total 14g carbs (not a lot) - says a lot about the amount or lack of the raisins! (or perhaps how they work out the carb content?)

Perhaps it was the salad dressing! :shifty:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
had some severe complications with such high reading that my kidneys are damaged and nerve damage from Neuropathy has resulted in me having to Self catheter to empty my bladder cos I have no sensation to the nerves that tell you it's time to visit the loo ...my eyes are damaged too and have cataracts in both eyes
So sorry to read about all that. I am persuaded by reading Dr Bernstein's classic book "Diabetes Solution" that it may be possible to improve the state of organs damaged by high blood sugar if we can keep that bg down in future by diet and medication. Maybe a complete healing is not possible, but I imagine any improvement would be welcome. If you have not already read Dr B's book, do read this chapter from it where he talks about healing his own severe diabetic complications:
http://www.diabetes-book.com/bernstein-life-with-diabetes/

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The message I'm getting from this thread, loud and clear, is cook from scratch, don't buy ready meals or anything with added ingredients, or if the temptation of a quicker meal is too strong, at least READ THE LABEL and be prepared!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I use Ocado the nutritional information is great. It is entirely my own fault not to read the ingredients. It is a mistake I won't make again. Having to read every label takes forever, I also have to check for malt for OH.
If it's the Picard Guinea Fowl, there might have been some sneaky booze-soaked raisins in there as well!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is Picard, I love their stuff. At least I got to try most of their range before DX. Happy memories!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy memories!
I find that whereas my visual and aural memories are very weak, my memory for food and tastes is extremely vivid. I'm afraid this may say something bad about me. Delicious food obviously means more to me than sunsets or symphonies! But this has the advantage that I almost don't mind never again eating eg peaches, because I can relive that experience quite intensely, and without getting all sticky, too. What does bug me about the low carb diet (in my case <20g carbs daily) is the lack of spontaneity. Everything has to be planned and cooked, either just before eating or long before, unless I want to live on cheese and lettuce. Out of the house everything I eat has to be portioned out, packed up and carried with me. Sometimes it seems to me that all I have time for now in life is food planning, food shopping, cooking and washing up. Oh, and testing. I'd love to grab a sandwich & piece of fruit and live a little!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's the Picard Guinea Fowl, there might have been some sneaky booze-soaked raisins in there as well!

The nutritional food label would still include the carbs in the raisins, without looking, I thought raisins were quite high in carbs so perhaps there was just 1 in the entire joint!!!!!??

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 I know what you mean. I am trying to figure out stuff to carry around, particularly in the (hopefully) warm weather that's just around the corner. I do make my own granola bars which are a huge help. A really good quality flask which is suitable to hold soup or stew may solve a few problems.

@slip I didn't eat much of the stuffing and I must have missed the raisin! The dog polished off the scraps and wouldn't eat dog food the next day.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a newbie and ended up in hospital with blood sugar levels running at 49!! it was so high that the glucose meter on the hospital ward didn' go high enough so bloods we're sent to the lab and that's when I found it the 49 BG !! I had no idea abt being type2 and looking back I now know that it's been going on for around 5yrs prior to being hospitalised even though I had BG checked quite a few times ...I was straight to insulin injections and unfortunately had some severe complications with such high reading that my kidneys are damaged and nerve damage from Neuropathy has resulted in me having to Self catheter to empty my bladder cos I have no sensation to the nerves that tell you it's time to visit the loo ...my eyes are damaged too and have cataracts in both eyes

Hey Kevin, welcome to the Forum! Keep reading, reading and more reading if your eyes will permit and you will learn much that will be beneficial to you on this journey of diabetes. You will find all kinds of support and suggestions here that have helped us along the way. Just remember that you are unique in your journey and one thing that works wonders for someone may not work for you, so it is trial and error until you get to where you have confidence that you are doing what is right for you! Blessings/L

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had sea bass with green veg (no added sugar) and my bloods have been 12.2 most of the day! Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason!

If your green veg included peas that could account for a spike.