Abasaglar

den44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone else having problems with painful injections with abasaglar insulin. I find it stings quite a lot to the extent that i have to inject very slowly on 61 units at the moment so this can take some time. Even had to take the needle out and continue jab in a different area because just too painful .Anyone got any tips on how i can make it less painful. Have told Gp i am having this problem with it but he wants me to carry on with it. Also on novorapid 3 times daily and have no issues with this insulin.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else having problems with painful injections with abasaglar insulin. I find it stings quite a lot to the extent that i have to inject very slowly on 61 units at the moment so this can take some time. Even had to take the needle out and continue jab in a different area because just too painful .Anyone got any tips on how i can make it less painful. Have told Gp i am having this problem with it but he wants me to carry on with it. Also on novorapid 3 times daily and have no issues with this insulin.
Hi @den44 , I just checked the clinical trial data for that Abasaglar glargine insulin, as I have no prior personal experience with it myself (and to disclose: I am a happy Lantus user since it was launched to the market).

Interestingly the pain at injection site was a (proportionally) frequent reported adverse event during the trial phases. Now please don't think it does not appear also in case with use of other insulin types. It does. :)
I do however find the numbers intriguing as they are remarkably higher for the Abasaglar insulin versus some of the alternatives.

Hereby the relevant data points:
Abasaglar Type1 adverse events: 6-8% of all patients. Pain at injection site: 2-3%.
Lantus Type 1 adverse events: 4% of all patients. Pain at injection site: 1%.

If it is always painful for you, then why not try another type of glargine insulin instead?
No need to inflict pain on yourself everyday if alternatives exist that can provide same therapeutic results.

den44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @den44 , I just checked the clinical trial data for that Abasaglar glargine insulin, as I have no prior personal experience with it myself (and to disclose: I am a happy Lantus user since it was launched to the market).

Interestingly the pain at injection site was a (proportionally) frequent reported adverse event during the trial phases. Now please don't think it does not appear also in case with use of other insulin types. It does. :)
I do however find the numbers intriguing as they are remarkably higher for the Abasaglar insulin versus some of the alternatives.

Hereby the relevant data points:
Abasaglar Type1 adverse events: 6-8% of all patients. Pain at injection site: 2-3%.
Lantus Type 1 adverse events: 4% of all patients. Pain at injection site: 1%.

If it is always painful for you, then why not try another type of glargine insulin instead?
No need to inflict pain on yourself everyday if alternatives exist that can provide same therapeutic results.

den44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thanks for reply. Have told my Gp about this but he doesnt appear to want to change it for an alternative. Will just have to keep on chipping away at him i guess.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for reply. Have told my Gp about this but he doesnt appear to want to change it for an alternative. Will just have to keep on chipping away at him i guess.
So ask your GP if:
- he is on the Eli Lilly payroll?
- he is a sadist?
- or both of the above? :)

Its mindboggling if a 'healthcare professional' will insist to keep a patient on a drug therapy that causes pain if similar treatment results could be realized by using an alternative that doesn't cause pain for the patient.

louisemariexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Late reply but I’ve recently been placed on Abasaglar, I’m a newly diagnosed and on 24U. I have the same issue, I have to inject slowly as it stings so much. Sometimes it can be stinging up to half an hour later and gives me a red mark on my stomach.

I’ve heard that insulin cold stings but my insulin is never kept cold.

I thought this is just a thing that happens on it (or any insulin so I thought) I kind of accepted it so haven’t mentioned to my DSN.

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@den44 and @louisemariexo ,
I am not overly familiar with Abasaglar insulin, however I know people on Lantus and they say that the first eleven units of the injection is fine, after that amount, it burns and stings.
I have 42 units of degludec in the evening, and I find that sometimes that randomly stings, but so does the novorapid when I inject it. So I think sometimes it just randomly happens, probably is a logical medically reason behind it but I don’t know it haha

What size needles are you both using? This could also be the reason of stinging insulin.

Reactions: Jenny15

marobcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2

marobcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well den44, I had the same stinging pain with Lantus insulin, I put up with it for 2 years, no other side effects. I mentioned it at my check this week, she said you don’t want that and issued me with this new insulin Abasaglar, no more stinging pain, as you experience with it.
I am familiar with the pain of the needle going in and having to change areas to inject, its really horrible having to put up with this. Afraid I can’t suggest how to make it less painful, but I’ve heard putting some ice on area helps numb the skin from pain. I do deep breathing to help.
Best wishes

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Have you tried asking your DN or maybe even an endo about it? It seems odd that a GP can think it's OK to refuse to allow a patient to try an alternative. Are you able to seek a second opinion on this?

What length of needle are you using?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I don't know if it's any help (probably not) but I've been using Abasaglar since mid February without any noticeable effects. I am currently suffering from hives and myalgia - both listed side effects of Glargine for the lucky 1 in 10,000 - but these symptoms started while I was taking my previous insulin which was Humalog Mix25.

My annual review with the endo' is coming up in a few weeks so I'm going to ask if I can try something else that isn't Glargine based.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I use Lantus. Occasionally it is 'sore' but this appears to be the site of injection rather than the drug.
My regime -
If it hurts when needle goes in - remove immediately and re-site it.
Lantus I do in 2 injections, minimum 2.5cm apart, roughly 50% i.e. 30units and 26units.
It is an improvement.