Dexcom G6 approved in the USA

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The new Dexcom G6 has been approved by the FDA
https://www.dexcom.com/g6-cgm-system

No calibration. 10 day life. Better applicator.

These product launches are always amusing.

The marketing people who wrote the zingy, Zero fingersticks!!" tagline must have had a hissy fit when the lawyers insisted on asterisking it with the smallprint saying, " erm, except when you reckon it's a sketchy sensor, it's throwing noise at you, you feel wobbly, etc. etc."

I really wish they'd get real world T1s to write the ads for this stuff: "Yeah, it's pretty good, but they mess up from time to time."

Still, with the new applicator, they've obviously been sweating their design team to come up with something more akin to the admirable simplicity of the libre applicator and less like a cattle gelding implement...

Reactions: DunePlodder

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It will be interesting to see the pricing for the G6. With the firm 10 day cut off, it will take the G6 out of my affordability range & I'll gaurentee that they won't pput more sensors in the subscription box to make up the difference. I get 2 weeks from a sensor with no problems. Hopefully the G5 will run alongside the G6 and those who wish will be able to carry on using it. An article I read said that Dexcom are expecting to increase sensor life to 14 days by 2019.

The 3 month transmitter is also annoying. I can't believe that they couldn't produce a sensor that you could change the battery on. The size of the transmitter isn't the be all and end all to myself for sure.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still using the G4 & the transmitters last around a year so the 3 month transmitter life is a big disadvantage.
I get up to 3 weeks from sensors so the cost difference would really hurt.
I understand that with the 3 month G5 transmitter you can extend the it's life considerably if you use the excellent xDrip app.

crumpy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Such a shame about the 10 day cutoff. Hoping there is some work around for it.

DanisV

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 !!!
Fingers crossed ! Last year MiniMed 740G, now this. I hope that before getting the real Diabetes cure, hopefully 2019 :), they make the D-lives easier with these gadgets.