Massive increase in blood sugar after breakfast

lindisfel

Expert
If you want a little porridge for breakfast have three eggs fried lightly in a lot of olive oil soaked up with flaked almonds first. D.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kudos to all of you that can do low carb but for me I can’t do that for the rest of my life
Than there will be progress in your diabetes, with all of the consequences. Plain and simple.

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can not quite believe some of the pedantic responses here. Thanks diabetes forum, but no thanks!

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Than there will be progress in your diabetes, with all of the consequences. Plain and simple.
Because you’re a medical doctor that knows everything about how my body metabolises?! Sheesh!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched my grandmother suffering the effects of uncontrolled diabetes - from the time I was two up until I was almost seven. I helped by carrying in the bottles of sugary drink she was provided with six times a day, and running to ask my mother to make a cup of tea - with sugar of course.
In all honesty - it would have been kinder to have killed her ten years before she finally died.
If you are considering following the usual and expected pathway for type two diabetics - it really is not the easy option.

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You people are truly unreal!!! How dare you be so superior?! My father in law has type 2 diabetes and has had for 20 years he follows a normal healthy diet and takes insulin and has no consequences. I was only diagnosed 5 days ago and have only taken 2 Metformin, I may be someone that can tolerate more carbs eventually. There is nothing sadder to see than people who think they are superior because something works for them and to be derogatory to those who don’t share their views. In fact I know plenty of people who are diabetic and don’t follow this fad diet, if it works for you great, but don’t beat those who may struggle or may not need to follow suite. I came here for support and understanding. Shame on you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This "fad diet" has been around since the 1800's. at least. Until insulin was discovered in the 1920's it was the only treatment for diabetics and was used widely. There are threads on this forum about the history of low carb diets, that only went out of fashion in the 70's when the diet called low fat was promoted - based on incorrect evidence that has since been well and truly debunked and has never worked for either weight loss or blood glucose unless combined with low carb. I have never heard of any fad diet that has been around and widely used for 200 years. Fads are something that are short-lived crazes.

I am sorry you feel you have not received support or understanding. I am sure everyone has been trying to help you.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
many thanks for all your help. There is so much conflicting advice out there for newbies like me, much of what I had read, including advice from my Doctor, was that porridge was a "good carb" and so should be ok. Thanks Rachox for the recipe, I will give it a try.

Welcome to the site, I'm effectively new to the site and only been active for a few weeks. There is so much useful information on this site, but as I have found prior to being on this site our body chemistries are all different so what works for one will not work for another. It's experimentation time and hopefully you will find something that works for you.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Ouch, it's getting nasty in here.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Glitter 2 and welcome

First relax. It can be overwhelming at first but you do have experience with insulin and as such you know how that can help. It took me weeks to get my first fasting reading under 7 and I was over the moon then. You know that there are many different meds that could be available to you which you will need to discuss with GP or nurse. Low carb is only one option there are many different ways of trying to cope. I just restrict the carbs my body can't cope with but that is my choice. My HbA1c was very high to begin with at 95 so I did have to do a bit more than some. You may find if you lose some weight then you can manage a few more carbs. I wasn't overweight when diagnosed but did lose a couple of stone and now can manage more carbs than when diagnosed. Another thing you can try is some exercise but if you have small children you are probably running around after them anyway. Even walking is helpful. We are all different and you need to find a way that works for you and one that you are happy with.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You people are truly unreal!!! How dare you be so superior?! My father in law has type 2 diabetes and has had for 20 years he follows a normal healthy diet and takes insulin and has no consequences. I was only diagnosed 5 days ago and have only taken 2 Metformin, I may be someone that can tolerate more carbs eventually. There is nothing sadder to see than people who think they are superior because something works for them and to be derogatory to those who don’t share their views. In fact I know plenty of people who are diabetic and don’t follow this fad diet, if it works for you great, but don’t beat those who may struggle or may not need to follow suite. I came here for support and understanding. Shame on you
It is a fad diet which controls diabetes without medication - I could eat more carbs after using the fad diet for about half a year, but I can't eat more carbs without gaining weight - so I don't. I will follow the fad diet because it gives me confidence that I will not go the same way as my father's mother and because when I took Metformin and a statin it had horrible side effects.
If you think that people who come onto the forum offering advice on what - for some people has proven a turning point in their lives, and given them hope and health are somehow wanting to deride a struggling newcomer - it is not something I've seen in my time here.

Reactions: rab5

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am newly diagnosed type 2 straight onto Metformin, HbA1c of 67 had gestational with both pregnancies and had insulin.
I know that any carbs send my BG up and Im feeling really angry and upset about that as I do not enjoy low carb eating and have been given no choice at the age of 44. I am a little overweight but certainly not obese. Personally I am not dealing well with the fact that I cannot have porridge or toast for breakfast. I also have high blood pressure and cholesterol and take medication, this is all inherited and I am angry about that too. Anyone else or is it just me?
@Glitter2. Just to give you a bit of hope and a different viewpoint. I am Just like you in that I find very low carb food disgusting. I think it's all the fat plus I just don't like or enjoy enough of the food. I did give it a go for my first month after diagnosis but it didn't work for me my blood glucose was all over the place. And I got to the point where I just couldn't face that food anymore. So I added in some carbs, sensible ones like normal bread but the sensible option - seeded, wholemeal is a good option rather than white etc. I eat fruit, but I look at the carb count of everything I eat and try to stay below 100g per.day, often around 70-80g. My hba1c started at 87, down to 60 something after 3 months. Then got put on the lowest dose of gliclazide in addition to metformin which has been brilliant and my last hba1c was 40. I completely disagree that the choices are low carb or progression, there are plenty of ways to manage diabetes and very low carb is only one of them. My way works for me. You too will find a way that works for you but eating a diet you hate for the rest of your life won't be that way!

Don't see taking medication as a failure, be very aware of the carbs you are eating and try to make lower carb choices where you can but you're very new to this and in time you will find your own way. There is another site Diabetes UK which you may find useful to join the forums there. Good luck with it all

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Glitter, I hope you're ok.

I'm a similar age, and was diagnosed last August. I spent months tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to cope. Medication made me very ill, but I knew I had to be as healthy as I could for as long as I could for my little daughter. A few months ago I found the phlaunt site, and this forum, and I have not looked back.

I was a complete high carb, low fat vegetarian and had eaten like this all my adult life. I did not want to give up bread, pasta, sweet corn, lentils, etc. however, they have all left my diet, completely and utterly now. I did have a slice of bread the other week, but did not enjoy it. As I was eating it I was thinking about the salad bag of rocket in the fridge!

Like you, I had done a couple of turns with low carb for a week to lose weight, and I was really angry at the thought of skipping all those lovely fruits and veggies for ever. I cut things out slowly, though, tantrums all the way, and here I am not bothered to go without at all. This forum has been a great help. The thing is, though, that if you ask for advice you often get it. You don't have to take the advice at all. I'm confident you will find your own path through this as there's more that one way to skin a rabbit. This particular forum has many folk who have found a low carb diet very beneficial for them, and so their advice frequently follows this path.

Wishing you the best, however you choose to get those sugars under control:)

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you’re a medical doctor that knows everything about how my body metabolises?! Sheesh!

I understand you are in second/third phase of settlement with bad moment of your life:
1. shock
2. denial
3. anger
4. depression
5. acceptance

Each of us must go through. I’m now in last 5th phase (I accepted my T2D), so I just say the hard truth. You are in denial of fact, that you have to change your eating habit - you have to control the carbs. Carb is now “allergen” for you.
Yes, you can use meds and insulin, but at the end you cannot “outmeds” the carbs in your meal... (thus progress).

I hope you will cope with this soon. Wish you well.

Reactions: Ragmar

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I got my DX I found this site within hours. I did a lot of reading and started to approach LC with some trepidation.

I fell off the wagon several times eating 6 slices of ryvitas or several crumpets as carb withdrawal set in.

What helped me get through it was testing everything. I kept a detailed food diary. This showed me what food caused spikes, and what to avoid.

The numbers were a great motivator. I was DX November with a1c of 122. Yesterday I was entirely within normal ranges and today I am on track to repeat it.

Read, read and read some more. Everyone has to find their own way.

When you are ready, try to cut your carbs and watch your numbers. If you can endure it for a few days you may be surprised.

Whatever you choose, you will get loads of support here, and I wish you well.

Hughie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a confused newcomer too!
Isn't one of the health issues from having diabetes an increased risk of heart disease and furred arteries? How does a diet high in saturated fats, cream, cheese, eggs etc. help that?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't one of the health issues from having diabetes an increased risk of heart disease and furred arteries? How does a diet high in saturated fats, cream, cheese, eggs etc. help that?
Hi and welcome.
A lot fof us have found that by reducing our carb intake we lower our blood sugar and insulin response to food.
We also manage to lose weight. This then can also help to lower cholesterol (assuming that is what we need or want to do).
So we don;t have the side effects from diabetes because our blood sugars are out of the diabetic range and our bodies are not so likely to develop heart disease and furred arteries.
There have also been a huge amount of threads on the forum about cholesterol (that substance without which we would all be dead) and whether it is a good idea to control it using medication. I'll leave you to have a look around for some of them.
But to answer your specific point .. fats are not only good for us they keep us full for longer and providing they aren't from highly processed vegetable oil are pretty beneficial.

Reactions: Debandez

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah well - the information on fats was - let's call it highly selective data gathering. All the numbers which did not back up the results as wanted were discarded.
When I went back to low carbing after eating a lot of starchy foods my triglycerides went down - they were at 1.5 at 6 months from diagnosis, having dropped from 2 at my first check up, and all the ratios for cholesterol were good normal or ideal, so my personal experience only adds to my idea that fat is not a bad food at all.

Reactions: Hughie 2