Diabetes snobbery

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They two need different names because they are totally different conditions - a comparing a dead pancreas to insulin resistance makes as much sense as comparing breast cancer to lung cancer. They may have some similar symptoms if untreated (hyperglycaemia) and similar treatments, but they cannot be compared. It’s not a competition.
Recent research had found that three are at least five type of common Diabetes Mellitus, not to mention LADA, MODY and pancreatitis one, and the gestational diabetes.

By the way a lot of condition with similar symptoms are called the same, and causes and cure are wildly different. Take for instance pneumonia, there is viral pneumonia, common bacterial pneumonia, antibiotic resistant bacterial pneumonia, autoimmune pneumonia, fungal pneumonia, malaria pneumonia, and chemical induced pneumonia, each type requiring different treatment.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wonder if T1s diagnosed pre-teen or in early teens and who have had to live their whole lives entwined with diabetes resent the fact that most T2s have lived (compared at least to to them) a relatively carefree and self indulgent life suddenly appear on the scene in their '50s and '60s and (because of their numbers) swamp the diabetes scene.

The bottom line is that we all have problems related to insulin and the pancreas. Some were more sudden than others, but we are all in the same boat.

The lines are also becoming more blurred, as T1s are being diagnosed later and T2s are being diagnosed earlier. Also, more and more variants of diabetes are being identified.

Encouragingly, research initially aimed mainly at T1s is showing potential benefits for all people with diabetes.

I think you're bang on @LittleGreyCat, between that and the fact I've personally had the kinds of experiences where I wouldn't wake up in the morning (massive night time hypos previously) I think I really struggle when people tell me they have diabetes but don't have similar worries to me. If only low carb would mostly fix me! (its helpful but not a fix)

Reactions: Dodo

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
I wonder if T1s diagnosed pre-teen or in early teens and who have had to live their whole lives entwined with diabetes resent the fact that most T2s have lived (compared at least to to them) a relatively carefree and self indulgent life suddenly appear on the scene in their '50s and '60s and (because of their numbers) swamp the diabetes scene."

Well Let me see yes prior to diagnosis as diabetic I had as you say a wonderful care free existence if you exclude the 17 years of Myasthenia Gravis leading up to my diagnosis of T3E. or drug induced diabetes.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I just found the one person who has to feel superior in my area.

Unlucky. Must be Daily Mail reader. From what I've been reading recently something like 80% of type II diabetics have reduced beta cell mass (Type I, 100% as near as **** it). So long as I've read it correctly, depleted levels of beta cells can produce extra amounts of insulin to make up for any shortfall, but only to a point.

Try not to worry, if it's a friend, maybe pointing out the error of her ways could be done at a convenient point in time.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I used to work in a primary school office and helped 2 children from age 4 who have type1(finger pricking and dealing with their hypos) I feel I am much luckier developing diabetes age 50 than those who were diagnosed at 2 or 3 years.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am of the impression that one can be a secret alcoholic, or a secret drug addict or any other destructive thing and thats ok.

but put on weight, and Ye Gods- you are the Spawn of Satan and guilty of every sin under the sun!!!

Invisible issues - thats the way to go. I am Doing It Wrong!!!

Absolutely. People don't like 'fat' and I think that influences their opinions in ways they aren't even conscious of.

Compare and contrast:

Steve Redgrave: He ate a ton of carbs and developed Type 2. He chose to carry on with his lifestyle at diagnosis regardless, and take medication to counteract T2.

Mr. Fatty: He ate a ton of carbs and developed Type 2. He chose to carry on with his lifestyle at diagnosis regardless, and take medication to counteract T2.

One is a hero, one is a pariah. If the ability to row a boat quickly and not look fat is all it takes to make the difference between pariah and hero, we need to be questioning our value systems.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And of course a 3rd person, like many of us here:

Mr. Fatty 2: He ate a ton of carbs because he was told to avoid fat, and developed Type 2. He chose to radically change his lifestyle, re-wiring everything he had learned for 40-50 years, and found it very hard to lose weight because, well, that's kind of what T2 does, but kept trying. He's lost a fair bit of weight but he's still fat and he still needs medication to help.

Mr. Fatty 2 is of course just as much a pariah as Mr. Fatty 1. Give him liposuction and teach him to row fast however, and he's gold. I think? Is that how it works? I find judgmentalism quite complicated to be honest. Life is so much easier if you just don't.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is also the point that being overweight is such a visible 'vice' to target.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No you didnt just find one person. ..there are many on here ....try it out for yourself ...make a comment of a subject posted by someone with a different type than you have (the superior type)

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
I've not experienced this (yet) although I know someone who has. My gripe is the number of people who think someone only becomes diabetic if they are obese. I am 5' 11" and have weighed between 10 and a half and 11 stones since I was 18 (I am now 71 and weigh 10 stone 7) and the first thing most people ask when they know I am T2 diabetic is how heavy was I and how much have I lost. I really do sympathise with T1s and do believe that more mutual understanding would be good.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:
I've not experienced this (yet) although I know someone who has. My gripe is the number of people who think someone only becomes diabetic if they are obese. I am 5' 11" and have weighed between 10 and a half and 11 stones since I was 18 (I am now 71 and weigh 10 stone 7) and the first thing most people ask when they know I am T2 diabetic is how heavy was I and how much have I lost. I really do sympathise with T1s and do believe that more mutual understanding would be good.
Don't you sympathise with us fatties? We have T2 just like you but have to put up with rude remarks. You are lucky that you aren't fat, that's all. I reckon I had insulin resistance making me ever fatter for about 20 years before diagnosis. You don't feel sorry for me not being able to wear nice clothes? You don't feel sorry for me when a waitress accused me of ordering 2 meals for myself because my son was playing on a fruit machine in the pub when the meals arrived? I brought this on myself because I am fat?

Edit I realise you are a newbie, so maybe I was a bit harsh, but you need to understand that I have tried to look after myself, tried to lose weight, in fact I have probably lived very much as you have. I just happen to be fat and you aren't.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to @zand s comment so much but now that I know what my problem is and how to fix it I've been losing weight and saving up money for a whole new wardrobe. When I was younger I used to wear suits and made my friends uncomfortable because I was always dressed nice and they wore jeans and a white shirt.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sympathise with T1s. I would hate to be T1. I just don't understand why many folk think that someone is a lesser person just because they are fat.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a divide in the type ones, I have infiltrated their ranks. Theirs the type ones who are at like 7-9 A1C and they hate the go getter type ones who are 5-6 A1C and the 5-6 A1cs hate the 4A1C even more with the kale meal plans

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My issue isn't even with T1s as such. It's with anyone who thinks that they are better than me because they have never been fat.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I'm quite lucky ... My father was type 1 and I am type 2. I see both points of view and neither is better or worse. He could eat what he wanted and adjusted insulin to suit; I can't do that. But I can eat low carb and keep my numbers in line and avoid complications; he had a difficult time with that. I wouldn't trade one for the other. We are all in the same boat ... trying to figure out how to live as best we can with diabetes. If anyone is expected to understand us, it is our forum friends.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd certainly agree that making an effort to understanding how the world works should be everyone's first step, long, long, long before they cast judgement. I find the the more I learn about the world, the more impossible it is to be judgemental. The problem is that so many people make no effort to understand. They read a headline and jump straight to judgement.

Linda51

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m type two LADA, and have diabetis now for over three years. I live in Italy and go to a diabetic clinic every four months. I check regularly my blood sugar and also do blood tests every 3 months. Here it’s all free of charge. I get sent for eye tests, feet tests , cardio check ups etc at least once a year. I’m on 5 tablets a day not insulin. I walk every day about 4 km and I do a low carb diet. However, I have to say that I started off with 3 tablets daily, but even though I lost all the extra weight, it’s a big fight to keep my blood sugar in check.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to @zand s comment so much but now that I know what my problem is and how to fix it I've been losing weight and saving up money for a whole new wardrobe. When I was younger I used to wear suits and made my friends uncomfortable because I was always dressed nice and they wore jeans and a white shirt.
Unfortunately I have known about my problem for several years, fixed my blood sugar levels, but not lost much of my excess weight. Fixing blood sugars does not always result in weight loss : (

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have a little insight into the social stigma of T2, I think. I’ve been curvy, then fat, then obese, then fat (working towards curvy again) my entire adult life, up to a UK size 28 at one point. I would tell people I had diabetes only if I had to, and I would get the “you brought it on yourself” tirade. Eat less! Move more! Low fat!

I vividly remember looking for a birthday cake in Asda for my then three year old son, and two men behind me started making siren alarm noises and shouting “WOOOT WOOOT LARD*RSE ALERT!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE! I REPEAT, STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!!” As you can imagine, I was mortified. That didn’t drive me to lose weight, I just went home and comfort ate chips, ending up with a DKA because I didn’t want to take insulin and nearly dying. I ended up with a lovely case of diabulimia. I hate to think what long term damage I’ve done.

People assume all T1s are skinny and all T2s are fat, and that’s so not the case. Nobody knows the battles another person fights every day. So yes, I think I have some understanding of how you guys feel.