Metformin TR issues

domforr

Hi all,

I've had type 2 diabetes for about 4 years now (44 years old, no weight issues) and have been on tablets since diagnosis. Initially I was on one tablet a day and controlled it well for about 3 years (also quite a strict diet). However, in the last year things have been a bit up and down and I'm not really sure why. My levels went up quite sharply last year and since then I've been on three tablets a day. The last test was still high (68 if I remember rightly). I'm trying to be more disciplined with the diet etc, but my main issue at the moment is that the tablets are making me feel pretty grim. My stomach seems constantly a bit off, with a slight feeling of nausea and just generally not feeling great.

My question is, has anyone had similar experiences and if so how did they deal with it? Is it just a case of living with it and accepting feeling off colour often, or are there any supplements or dietary changes that might alleviate the symptoms?

Many thanks,

Dominic

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi domforr and welcome, First let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post.
Can you tell us a little about your strict diet and what you eat in a typical day please? There maybe be some tweaks we can help you with to improve your blood sugars. Do you test your blood sugars at home between your blood tests at the Drs.
It could be the Metformin that’s causing your nausea, but I just wonder if it’s your blood sugar levels being too high?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've had type 2 diabetes for about 4 years now (44 years old, no weight issues) and have been on tablets since diagnosis. Initially I was on one tablet a day and controlled it well for about 3 years (also quite a strict diet). However, in the last year things have been a bit up and down and I'm not really sure why. My levels went up quite sharply last year and since then I've been on three tablets a day. The last test was still high (68 if I remember rightly). I'm trying to be more disciplined with the diet etc, but my main issue at the moment is that the tablets are making me feel pretty grim. My stomach seems constantly a bit off, with a slight feeling of nausea and just generally not feeling great.

My question is, has anyone had similar experiences and if so how did they deal with it? Is it just a case of living with it and accepting feeling off colour often, or are there any supplements or dietary changes that might alleviate the symptoms?

Many thanks,

Dominic
Metformin made me feel dreadful and the slow release one was even worse. Not typical I know. I started the LCHF diet and was much better even though I still had to stop the metformin. A diabetic nurse at my surgery did not agree with this told me I shouldn’t have stopped this at all, but then again she was the one that told me to eat carbs with every meal! My consultant totally agreed with me by the way he says carbs are not essential.

domforr

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I suppose my diet is strict by my own standards but maybe not by other peoples:)

I generally avoid (but don't completely exclude) breads, pasta, most fruit and anything with sugar/honey etc.

A fairly normal day would consist of two slices of waitrose livlife low carb bread with peanut butter or a poached egg and maybe some greek yoghurt with berries.

Lunch varies, but often Soup and some oatcake biscuits. Or just crackers and cheese/hummus.

Dinner might be some simple meat and veg and possibly a little bit of potato and again some Greek Yoghurt.

I exercise on a regular basis and have never really been overweight. My son is on a very strict ketogenic diet as he has complex epilepsy, so the food in the house is generally tailored towards that anyway.

To be honest I find the whole dietary advice quite confusing as I also have raised cholesterol which would suggest cutting out the fats?

Best,

Dominic

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if you should cut out completely the carbs you “generally avoid (but don’t completely exclude)” they may be the culprits in your deteriorating results, also the oatcakes and crackers. I only eat 40-60g of carbs per day and I’m on Metformin which I tolerate well. I have read that eating too many carbs with Metformin makes some people sick, do you notice the nausea worse with a higher carb meal?
You don’t mention self testing at home. I learnt a lot from testing before and after meals.

domforr

I used to self test, but basically stopped after the nurse moaned at me and said she wouldn't give any more testing strips out. I've kind of lost the habit now, but need to start doing it again. I've also been trying apple cider vinegar prior to every meal, but not sure if there's any real evidence of that being effective.

You could be right - maybe cutting the extra carbs would help.

litakataka_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Dominic
I’m also type 2 on 2 metformin twice a dayb

I suppose my diet is strict by my own standards but maybe not by other peoples:)

I generally avoid (but don't completely exclude) breads, pasta, most fruit and anything with sugar/honey etc.

A fairly normal day would consist of two slices of waitrose livlife low carb bread with peanut butter or a poached egg and maybe some greek yoghurt with berries.

Lunch varies, but often Soup and some oatcake biscuits. Or just crackers and cheese/hummus.

Dinner might be some simple meat and veg and possibly a little bit of potato and again some Greek Yoghurt.

I exercise on a regular basis and have never really been overweight. My son is on a very strict ketogenic diet as he has complex epilepsy, so the food in the house is generally tailored towards that anyway.

To be honest I find the whole dietary advice quite confusing as I also have raised cholesterol which would suggest cutting out the fats?

Best,

Dominic

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to self test, but basically stopped after the nurse moaned at me and said she wouldn't give any more testing strips out. I've kind of lost the habit now, but need to start doing it again. I've also been trying apple cider vinegar prior to every meal, but not sure if there's any real evidence of that being effective.

You could be right - maybe cutting the extra carbs would help.

Give it a try you might be pleasantly surprised. Ignore your nurse and buy your own test strips of you can stretch to it.

litakataka_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m also type 2 on 2 metformin twice daily and it makes me feel nauseous and unwell most of the time and worse a few days after a drink of wine or beer no matter how small

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe self testing is essential in discovering which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. SD CodeFree have the cheapest strips.

Keep a food diary along with your readings, it will be an education. Good luck.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello I took metformin for about 2 month.I started getting severe back pain on my right hand side .soon as i had stopped taking it the pain went within 24 hours.Then i noticed i could not climb the slightest step there was no strength there.My side of my thigh muscle started to go swollen and flabby.Then my right knee started to buckle with no warning.It took about 3 months before it cleared up.but leaving my leg weak,It took about a year to right it's self.I did have a bad queasy stomach the short time i was taking it.I was in the Philipinnes at the time I bought some Metformin there.I was getting stabbing pains my legs at night plus an intense burning pain.On the information leaflet there was a list of possible side effects a long as your arm some sounding very serious.At the end of the leaflet it said this medicne will not not prevent complications.The Metformin prescribed in the UK ,there are hardly any side effects mentioned on the leaflet.I have been diabetic free for about a year now.As i have mentioned in previous e-mails I developed none healing infected ulcers in my lower legs.large blisters formed on my big toes .The blisters bust my right big toe went black and smelly on the end .Gangrene .At the time i had no feeling in my feet they were totally numb I had to do something urgently I felt i was in danger of having my legs chopped off.So i cut out the rotten flesh with a pair of surgical type scissors.successfully..In a very urgent effort to reduce my very high blood sugar .I went on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet 3 times a week In a short time I lost over 3 stone in weight My blood sugar fasting levels dropped from between 10.8 mml and 16+mml down to between 3.8 mml and 5.8 mml.My leg ulcers and my big toe healed up in a short time ,after reducing my b.g.to normal.All the many complications cleared I can now eat anything like without any adverse effects I feel like a new man .New lease of life regardless of being old.I had been type 2 diabetic For about 8 years .The so-called doctors never told me about it for 6 years regardless of having routine blood tests and blood pressure checks every 6 monthsWhen i was diabetic 'I found taking quarter of a teaspoonful of cinammon every day ,in tea or coffee dropped my b,g by about 3 mml.or apple cyder vinegar.Ugh.Try the 24 hour alternate fasting diet .information Dr Jason Fung .Utube..It has worked for me.It may work for you.

domforr

Thanks all for your suggestions. Will try and implement the lower carb regime and also start testing on a regular basis. Not sure I can handle the 24 hour fasting though!

domforr

Actually, one final question regarding the low carb diet. I have read that being ketotic is dangerous for diabetics, but eating a low carb diet could raise your ketone levels. I know this as my son has to have raised ketones on his diet which is low carb/high fat.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@domforr

Hello Dominic and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will try to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, one final question regarding the low carb diet. I have read that being ketotic is dangerous for diabetics, but eating a low carb diet could raise your ketone levels. I know this as my son has to have raised ketones on his diet which is low carb/high fat.

There is a difference between being in ketosis which is the result of a very low carb diet and ketoacidosis which is the result of very high blood sugars.
Here’s more about it:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/ketosis.html

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Best,

Dominic
I found that going back to LCHF lowered my cholesterol, and I got good ratios of the various components - the information used by Ansel Keans was - let us say, highly selective, with most countries statistics rejected as they did not fit his hypothesis.

domforr

I found that going back to LCHF lowered my cholesterol, and I got good ratios of the various components - the information used by Ansel Keans was - let us say, highly selective, with most countries statistics rejected as they did not fit his hypothesis.
Do you generally avoid carbs altogether, or just cut back where possible? Just wondering how extreme I need to be and whether days off is allowed i.e. when eating out etc?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you generally avoid carbs altogether, or just cut back where possible? Just wondering how extreme I need to be and whether days off is allowed i.e. when eating out etc?

I think when you start testing your meals again in a structured manner it will become clear how strict or not you need to be.

Add to that, what are your goals? Do you want agreement from your medical team to reduce or remove the Met? What would be the right balance that works for you?

domforr

I think I'd like to get back to where I was a few years ago. On one tablet a day and well controlled. Three tablets just seems to be causing issues and the side effects are not pleasant.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'd like to get back to where I was a few years ago. On one tablet a day and well controlled. Three tablets just seems to be causing issues and the side effects are not pleasant.

Now the trick is finding a sustainable and enjoyable way of eating to get you where you want to be with the help of some structured testing and records.

It shouldn't take long to figure out what adjustments might help, but if you need any input just let us know.