Breakfast when travelling

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going on holiday soon and have an early morning flight. In view of travel times to the airport i will need to stay overnight but the hotel does not open for breakfast until after I need to depart. They have offered me a packed breakfast but it is far too heavy in carbs and sugars for me. Can anyone recommend suitable snacks for me to prepare my own packed breaky before I leave home the day before. Room has a coffee machine so only need food recommendations.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I am going to a do with friends I often do scrambled eggs with lots of veg and some cheese and take it in a cool bag I do have for the friend I take in my car and his half has chopped potato in, my half doesn't! It is filling and stops me from being tempted with fish and chips or a burger.

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will you have a fridge in the hotel room?
If not I’d suggest nuts, low carb Adonis snack bars - 2g carbs per bar available on Amazon, Hartleys 10cal jelly, a few berries.

Reactions: dbr10

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will you have a fridge in the hotel room?
If not I’d suggest nuts, low carb Adonis snack bars - 2g carbs per bar available on Amazon, Hartleys 10cal jelly, a few berries.

Thanks, I will have a fridge and hadn’t thought about that. Will probably take some berries and a small yoghurt pot in a cool bag. Some nuts would be good for mid morning as well.

Reactions: Rachox

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going on holiday soon and have an early morning flight. In view of travel times to the airport i will need to stay overnight but the hotel does not open for breakfast until after I need to depart. They have offered me a packed breakfast but it is far too heavy in carbs and sugars for me. Can anyone recommend suitable snacks for me to prepare my own packed breaky before I leave home the day before. Room has a coffee machine so only need food recommendations.
Hi there Madbazoo, in those circumstances try not to think about standard 'breakfast' items, any easily transportable food will do, think cheese/slices of ham/chicken leg/mixture of salad leaves/olives, in fact ANYTHING you would normally eat at any time of the day apart from raw stuff that has to be cooked of course! I work shifts (24/7) so am always eating varying bits of food that are not traditionally for brekkie/lunch/dinner, just 3 individual 'meals'.

Reactions: Diakat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How about a hard boiled egg?

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Beautiful tesco finest Greek yogurt...I could live off it x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I will have a fridge and hadn’t thought about that. Will probably take some berries and a small yoghurt pot in a cool bag. Some nuts would be good for mid morning as well.

You could easily take hard boiled eggs, cooked bacon, cooked sausages if you really need to identify with the breakfast you are eating as a breakfast. If you're a bit more relaxed about it being strictly classic breakfast fare, the cooked chicken or any cold meats are easy.

If you're concerned about freshness or the availability of the fridge, lots of those ^^^^ things could be frozen when leaving home, with a long defrost. I guess that depends on how long your home > airport journey is and whether a cool back would be workable for the trip or whether that would mean you'd have to take a cool bag on holiday with you.

I've done exactly the scenario you describe many, many times.

Alternatively if the terminal building your go to/from has an M&S Food store then they sell protein post, lots of cooked meats including their crispy bacon strips, Greek yoghurt, small tubs of fruit, individual portions of cheese you could buy when you get there in the morning.

If you are going transat and using twilight check-in you could buy from M&S after you have checked in. If twilight check-in is available and you haven't tried it before I wholeheartedly recommend it. Just arriving directly to Departures security in the morning, fresh and unfettered by luggage works for me.

Did I mention I'd played this game a gazillion times for early outbound and even earlier picking up my OH, from his transat?

:)

TonyPowell

Hard boiled eggs ham cheese

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I like raw cabbage leaves, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, fried bacon [ gone cold ] packet of ham, coconut oil for drinking, etc Nuts. salt and pepper.

Buttonz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I informed the Airline, Emirates of Diabetis II, and the meals were great, including the best poached eggs ever for breakfast and at 35,ooo feet too!