pizza :(

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Ah, so many lovely things that need split bolus, or alternatives to carb, but why should that stop us enjoying them?

Reactions: Levy

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, so many lovely things that need split bolus, or alternatives to carb, but why should that stop us enjoying them?
Because horrible things might happen.

This is when this forum really starts to wind me up. Why would you not want to eat pizza? Well duhhh?

Reactions: flexi06

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because horrible things might happen.

This is when this forum really starts to wind me up. Why would you not want to eat pizza? Well duhhh?
This is when your defeatist attitude really starts to wind me up. If you can find a way to enjoy pizza while keeping your levels in check (which people are managing by using the methods mentioned above), then no horrible things will happen. Duhhh?

But hey, you do you. If you don't want to eat pizza then don't do it. Simple as that. Nobody is making you eat pizza, all that was said was that some (other!) people want to keep enjoying the things they like and find ways of doing so safely and thus see no harm in it. That doesn't mean you should too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Anyone else like macaroni pie, pitta bread dipped in houmos, taramasalata, proper Greek-made, garlic-full tsatziki, kalamata olives and The Imam Wept? Must be time for lunch.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do wish I could be like my kids and just enjoy pizza - innocent of its inherent evils and not guilty if I don't measure the carbs and calculate a delayed bolus/split bolus regime..... On the other hand its just food and why is it so emotional? It is not toxic in the short term only if abused over the longer term. Its a red flag to me when people give up social occasions because of food or start to sound as if they need bereavement counselling for the loss of pizza from their lives. As so many people on this thread say there is always a work around and options that are not just binary.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I make fathead pizza, there’s loads of recipes online. It’s amazing, really filling and I don’t need to inject for it. Doesn’t budge my BG an inch :)

A79306E1-C7B8-4633-A31B-404EA91CD5BB.jpeg

D

Deleted Account

Pizza is really bad for you anyway! Goodbye!
Doesn't that depend?
I eat very thin crust (I rolled it myself), low fat (no meat, little cheese), homemade pizza with lots of fresh veggies (mushrooms, courgettes, tomato, aubergine, chilli ... must have chilli, ...), occasionally, and I have worked out my insulin dosage so it does not adversely affect my BG.
In what way is that "bad for you"?

I wouldn't expect a large thick base, stuffed crust pizza with lashings of cheese and five types of processed meat eaten every day to be great for your health but that doesn't mean all pizzas are bad.

Reactions: ickihun

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is when your defeatist attitude really starts to wind me up. If you can find a way to enjoy pizza while keeping your levels in check (which people are managing by using the methods mentioned above), then no horrible things will happen. Duhhh?

But hey, you do you. If you don't want to eat pizza then don't do it. Simple as that. Nobody is making you eat pizza, all that was said was that some (other!) people want to keep enjoying the things they like and find ways of doing so safely and thus see no harm in it. That doesn't mean you should too.
It's just so totally sad. I can live without pizza. It's just utterly utterly PATHETIC that it has to be like that. What a complete waste of blood and organs am I, that I can't just eat a slice of pizza when I happen to feel like it without it becoming a huge production that will last days and cause me to lose sleep. It's not pizza (or rice, bread, pasta, potato, any of the things I don't eat) it's just the whole thing.

Reactions: flexi06

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's just so totally sad. I can live without pizza. It's just utterly utterly PATHETIC that it has to be like that. What a complete waste of blood and organs am I, that I can't just eat a slice of pizza when I happen to feel like it without it becoming a huge production that will last days and cause me to lose sleep. It's not pizza (or rice, bread, pasta, potato, any of the things I don't eat) it's just the whole thing.

It's just totally sad that I can't eat rotten meat without becoming ill for days and causing me to lose sleep.

Shakespeare said:
there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

Believe me, I understand your pain. But sometimes looking at it from the right angle helps you escape from it.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I make fathead pizza, there’s loads of recipes online. It’s amazing, really filling and I don’t need to inject for it. Doesn’t budge my BG an inch :)

View attachment 26005

Ye gods this picture is awful..............I could no longer eat this than go to the gym.............whilst my comments are light hearted I genuinely find pizzas ghastly to look at and can't for the life of me understand how people eat them.

enjoy!!!

Tony

Oh just had a thought......why not tax them?

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nobody can can do that. Try again.

All right, I'm short-sighted. I can't see clearly without glasses whilst some people can. It hurts if I let it. I miss having clear sight. But I try to see it as a small thing (no pun intended).

I know that food is, for most people, more important than vistas. But the fact that your body isn't capable of something that many other people take for granted shouldn't be a reason for despair.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else like macaroni pie, pitta bread dipped in houmos, taramasalata, proper Greek-made, garlic-full tsatziki, kalamata olives and The Imam Wept? Must be time for lunch.

I live on boiled basmati rice at tea time (chilled & reheated as I've mentioned before) I can get away with wholemeal pasta too, if chilled and reheated, pizza although edible needs 2 injections and can either raise my bloods whilst I sleep, or the second injections tail can hypo me, and half a pizza leaves me hungry.

Best course of action (for me) is to abstain :)