Mood swings?

Captain

Do higher BG levels cause mood swings?
Can Simvestatin cause mood swings?
Is a cholesterol level of 5.6 too high when diabetic?

I've been in denial about the whole diabetes thing for a few months. I took care when I was first diagnosed in April and lost a couple of stone, but I've slackened off over the last few months. I was also put on Simvastatin 2 months ago. I started with leg pains and then with pains in the hip joints which used to keep me awake. I have also put on 10lbs as I stoppped going to the Gym as I was aching so much. I stopped the statins just before Xmas and felt better, but still wasn't watching what I was eating. I did a couple of blood tests and they were coming in at around the 12s so when I come offshore this time, I decided to do the full monitoring thing and eat sensibly. What a difference! The angry feelings have evaporated and I feel so energetic. Blood tests after a week are back down to 5s.

Hopefully, the doc will try another set of cholesterol drugs when I get home.

This site is damned good!!!

Steve

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Captain said:
From personal experience .....Yes.

Possibly, depression is listed. It seems to have many documented and undocumented effects dependent where you look ? There are other Statins available. Check with the Dr, one of those others may be better. I had trouble with Simvastatin a while ago, changed to Atorvastatin.....no problems.

I believe so, my level was once 3.2 but it soared during and after anti-Cancer treatment up to 4.8, now battling to get it back down to previous level. I am sure you will find others who have a different view. I want to look after my Heart and that is my opinion.

This site is damned good!!!

Steve

We think it is too !!! :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I entered a study being completed on statins, and just had this email sent to me yesterday, asking me to give further information: below is extract direct from the email, and there is also a report attached to my email I received that detailed the studies they have done.....

Over time, we have heard a number of reports, yours among them, in which people have experienced change in mood fluctuations, behavior or personality, or overall mental-well being associated with statin use. In recent years, studies have reported an association of low cholesterol with irritability, violence, depression, aggression, suicide, and antisocial behavior. These have also been sometimes reported in individuals who take cholesterol lowering medication (statins). We previously published a paper describing effects in several individuals who experienced such side effects from statin use. We are also continuing to look into this problem, in the study in which you kindly participated.**

We are updating our data on people who have had behavioral problems on statins, who have agreed to be recontacted, so that we can focus in more detail on this issue.

In addition, our group is now collaborating with Dr. Cornelius Boerkoel from the University of British Columbia on a study to (1) learn more about the behavioral traits that are affected and (2) see whether people who develop these problems on cholesterol drugs are more likely to have certain genetic traits, traits that may heighten the risk associated with cholesterol reduction. That study is looking to do genetic and blood studies on 20 people who have had noteworthy mood/behavioral symptoms arising with statin use, in whom the problem improved when they were taken off statins. The study is especially interested in people in whom family members also experienced behavior or personality changes with statin treatment. When we speak with you, we will find out if you may be interested in learning more about participating in that study

arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
When it comes to mood swings, I think this helps lighten the mood;

[youtube]2M1vv1FfCL4[/youtube]

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also found that big changes in BG (either up or down) can cause a mood swing...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Mood swings and behaviour have always been related to blood glucose levels. You only need to check out the symptoms of hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia. It is well documented all over the Net.

Many members have also commented on this previously hence the reason why everybody needs to try and keep the levels from rising and falling too much. Sometimes there can be some very odd behaviour.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Captain said:

Certainly fluctuating bg from high to low will cause frustration and will change the nature of your mood.

No expert on simvastatin and you would be better speaking to your gp about this as alternatives are available.

Yes a cholesterol level of 5.6 is too high and we are advised to keep our levels below 4 having diabetes.

Nigel