NHS Dietitian Contradicting Himself

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dietician. "We recommend carbs at every meal". I pointed out that, being diabetic, I am carbohydrate intolerant.
That’s exactly what I was told. I was given three months to improve my diet or be put on the diabetes register. I was also given the standard NHS leaflet and advice that advises carbs with every meal. After a week of wondering how I would know if what I was doing was helping I bought Dr David Cavan’s wonderfulbook, then I bought a blood glucose meter and discovered that all the nice healthy carbs I was being told to eat were the very things that were pushing up my blood sugar. I’m afraid that if I’d stuck with my nurse’s advice I’d still have T2, as it is I’m in remission.

KeithT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diabetes nurse actually said that I need to lose the weight I carry around my waist. She recommended low sugar/low carb diet. It has been working for me and I am almost non diabetic now.
Apart from consuming more seeds and nuts than the birds on the feeders in my garden, I enjoy the food!!
Funnily enough I enjoy the seeds as much as the birds. lol

nottslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is going to sound awful but the when I saw "Health Care Assistant " at my local surgery and was being asked if I was eating a healthy diet and taking regular exercise all I could do was look around the room for the hidden cameras, I was sure I was on Candid Camera or someone was playing a practical joke. This women that was asking me all these questions about diet and exercise was almost as wide as she was tall. Not exactly setting a very good example.

Been there. And a Stop Smoking nurse I had once was smoking outside in her coffee break! LOL

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been there. And a Stop Smoking nurse I had once was smoking outside in her coffee break! LOL
freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's why I don't go to mine, waste of space!
The NHS dietician I saw was really nice and I admired the tact with which he avoided going head to head with me over low carb. However at our first meeting he advised me to abandon low carb and revert to my previous "healthy" Mediterranean style diet, allowing my bg to climb until it got really bad, when my GP would give me medicines to sort it! At our second meeting he came clean as to his real views. He confessed to being on the fence, simply not knowing what to think about low carb, saturated fat etc. He said that many dieticians still believe in the old advice, a few have gone over to low carb etc, but he just didn't know. I respect that, as I don't know either. That is, I know that raised bg is damaging, but I don't know if / how far saturated fat and high LDL are harmful. So I prioritise eating to lower my bg. I do sympathise with my dietician, as IMO his position when required to advise diabetics is untenable.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a visit with my NHS Dietitian.

Whilst congratulating me for going into "remission" and lowering my HBA1c from 85 to 38 in just over 4 months, he did not like the fact that I changed my diet to an extremely low-carb and very healthy diet.

He said my fasting blood glucose readings between 4 - 6 mmols/l are false and I'm cheating.

He also emphasized to me to eat "normally" and stressed out that the NHS does NOT agree with low-carbing and it's strongly NOT advisable.

So I was sitting there in his office thinking this is just another waste of my time and while I was listening to his sermon, I saw a book sitting on his desk about "Carb and Calories", the best selling book on counting carbohydrates and calories for Diabetics!!!

Absolutely confusing!!!!!!!

When I was first diagnosed T2 a year ago my Doctor and Diabetic Educator advised me to not give up anything, however, eat in moderation. OK. I tried their way and my sugars went up, so I researched and found the LCHF Keto lifestyle and changed immediately. Three weeks ago my Doctor said I was doing excellent and yesterday the Diabetic Educator said if she didn't know I was 70 she'd think the blood results were that of a 19 to 20 year old. So, she then said she's not worried if I go six months before coming back to see her and get my blood checked. She said if I get worried about anything to call her. My A1C went from 6.7 at the beginning of this journey and is now at 5.5. If I continue on with this lifestyle change hopefully it will be even lower come September. Kudos to everyone who is managing their diabetes so well.

Reactions: KeithT 2

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been "cheating" for 2 years & 3 months now - on the Michael Mosley 800 cal, no carb diet. My hbA1c is 35 & I have no symptoms of diabetes. I exercise rigouressly (at the gym) 4 days & 6 hrs a week. Additionally, I walk (fast pace) 10 miles every day. My blood pressure is 110/68, I am never ill, I have never taken medicine for the diabetes. I have no idea whether I have reversed my diabetes, or am in remission. It costs a minimum of £40 to see the doctor here - so I don't go unless I absolutely have to ! I am in the peak of health & suffer no repercussions from the lack of carbs. Long live "cheating". Pay no heed to the doctor.

I’m T1 so this is purely out of curiosity. How do you deal with hunger on such a low calorie intake and all that exercise?

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys, Alexander here from San Antonio, Texas. I was reading the posts here and want to chime in. First, that was a ridiculous statement made by that dietitian. I agree with the person that said is taking meds cheating? Anyway, for those of you interested, I found out about a Dr Jason Fung out of Canada that recommends fasting. I bought his book on Amazon and it’s great. Very informative and helpful. That along with reading and viewing many other online sites, Dr Mark Furman has similar thoughts along with other doctors that I don’t remember. I was receiving an email from “ iThrive” about a Jon McMahon in a quest to reverse his diabetes.

I currently am fasting, I’m on day 17 of 21. I’ve lost 20 lbs so far and my glucose levels are at 70 mg/dL. Sorry, I don’t know the conversation for either of these numbers. Anyway, I’m sharing this with you and hopefully you will share it with others. I do recommend the book, The Obesity Code. Good luck and God bless.
Lots of Jason Fung fans on this forum-it's our 'Bible' and fasting does help some. Well done with the weight loss- you are doing great x

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello.When i went a 24 hour alternate fasting diet..I found i lost the desire to be snacking all the time..After a short while i could take food or leave it. It . certainly did the trick No more feeling hungry all the time I lost over 3 st in weight and reduce my blood sugar to nornal.Thus curing my diabetes And clearing all the complications ,that were coming in thick and fast I have been totally diabetic free for 12 months now.I am not on any special diet .I can eat what i like without any adverse effects.I bought Dr Jason Fung's book .A Complete Guide to Fasting.A very good book. Money well spent ,You don't have to buy his book you can get the information ,on his website on Utube.

Reactions: Sue192

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your dietitian seems to be doing their job, informing you that low carb diets are not supported due to limited knowledge of how healthy they are in the med to long term. Also telling you eating no carbs is lowering your bg artificially. If you were truly in remission you could eat any amount carbs and stay normal hba1c wise. The Mediterranean diet is 40%fat why not do this or the dash diet they are proven healthy diets with evidence of effect with no unknowns.
I was eating a Mediterranean diet and my A1c was leaping up year on year. Since I began low carb it has come down to my 2014 level of 37 despite various health problems and having been oblilged temporarily to take some medicines known to raise bg. I very much hope my next A1c will be lower. IMO facts trump theory. Countless research studies have shown that raised bg is harmful. It has been compared to having ground glass in one's blood stream. I would prefer to be free to eat a more "balanced" and varied diet, but to me my restricted diet, while not ideal, is a lesser evil than courting heart disease and all the other diabetic complications with elevated bg.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of Jason Fung fans on this forum-it's our 'Bible'
My bibles are Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" and Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101". Fasting is not for everyone, especially those of us who need to GAIN weight rather than lose it.

Reactions: dbr10

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Just had a visit with my NHS Dietitian.

Whilst congratulating me for going into "remission" and lowering my HBA1c from 85 to 38 in just over 4 months, he did not like the fact that I changed my diet to an extremely low-carb and very healthy diet.

He said my fasting blood glucose readings between 4 - 6 mmols/l are false and I'm cheating.

He also emphasized to me to eat "normally" and stressed out that the NHS does NOT agree with low-carbing and it's strongly NOT advisable.

So I was sitting there in his office thinking this is just another waste of my time and while I was listening to his sermon, I saw a book sitting on his desk about "Carb and Calories", the best selling book on counting carbohydrates and calories for Diabetics!!!

Absolutely confusing!!!!!!!
Yeah it's cheating the doc from getting pay-backs from Big Pharma.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Do you test from time to time, to check?
Do you test from time to time, to check?
Hello.Yes i do test from time to time But my blood sugar is normal.My fasting levels are between 3.8 mml to 5.8 mml.I don't want it back .But for 12 months i have been diabetic free.And feeling very much better.

Reactions: Alexandra100

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah it's cheating the doc from getting pay-backs from Big Pharma.
I totally agree with you.They don'twant any cures There is more money to be made keeping you ticking over but ill.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with you.They don'twant any cures There is more money to be made keeping you ticking over but ill.
Absolutely. I am sure that's why they slashed the threshold of the Q Risk score from 20 to 10 just to have an excuse to put thousands more on statins etc.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello .I don.t like these over weight doctors and nurses telling me to get some weight off I saw one practice nurse at our malpractice .telling me to get some weight off.I weighed about 13 st. at the time .She weighed an estimated 16 st. Same hight as me 5ft.6.ins.