RIP Lidl High Protein Rolls

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Er. Well. It came out sort of bread shaped.

Actually, appearance and flavour both good and very similar to Lidl HP BUT it is a pretty solid lump, and also had a slightly ??slimy texture - not unpleasant, just a bit odd. But it is quite edible (for a given definition of...). Did I mention that total net carbs came to 73gc? (sorry - the net carbs in the total recipe!) Will get at least 8 slices so 4.5gc per half slice. And it toasts well.

Next trial - much more water, and I think I might soak the chia seeds and the linseed for five minutes or so in half the water. Ten grams less chia, ten grams more oat bran to reduce the slipperiness. And grind the sunflower seeds & linseeds a bit more thoroughly.

Other possibilities - add in some baking powder to help aeration. Find a cheaper substitute for the soy protein, anyone know if whey protein would work as well? FYI total cost of the the loaf was about £3.50 which is too much IMHO.
The last time there was a HP Rolls scare I decided to make my own and @AvocadoSevenfold gave me the recipe below. I make rolls by hand rather than a loaf in a breadmaker. I prefer my rolls to the Lidl ones and I must have made about 20 batches by now. I have tweaked the recipe but the one I have attached is the original.

Attachments

• Gabi's Low Carb Bread.pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 580

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have now found a version of the same recipe with a little more information and I have added a conversion from cups to grams in case that helps.

Attachments

• Gabi Bread.pdf
    261.7 KB · Views: 659
Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have now found a version of the same recipe with a little more information and I have added a conversion from cups to grams in case that helps.

Great, thank you. Care to share your tweaks?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great, thank you. Care to share your tweaks?
I leave out the bran and the Splenda. I use normal porridge oats instead of oat flour. I have increased the water to about 320ml. I add mixed seeds sometimes. You don't have to knead the dough much, just enough so that it is combined. I divide the dough into 8 rolls and put them on a baking tray in a warm place for about an hour to rise, then without touching them bake at 190C for 20mins.

Attachments

• rolls.jpg
    rolls.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 492

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I leave out the bran and the Splenda. I use normal porridge oats instead of oat flour. I have increased the water to about 320ml. I add mixed seeds sometimes. You don't have to knead the dough much, just enough so that it is combined. I divide the dough into 8 rolls and put them on a baking tray in a warm place for about an hour to rise, then without touching them bake at 190C for 20mins.

Thank you!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
This is the basic recipe that I use, which I found on this forum. It tastes like bread.

Last edited:

Csarscott

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I have just spoke to lidl customer services. They have been getting lots of calls from diabetics about them being discontinued. The agent thought that more feedback might help their retun to stores.

Lidl customer services 0800 977 7766

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just spoke to lidl customer services. They have been getting lots of calls from diabetics about them being discontinued. The agent thought that more feedback might help their retun to stores.

Lidl customer services 0800 977 7766

They could well be inundated tomorrow!!

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a look at the Gabi recipe a while back but got put off by the Splenda. Thanks for putting it up, I will have another look and try again, with "personalisation" aka tweaks. I really want to get a bread machine recipe going as it seems so much more convenient than making your actual bake-in-the-oven loaf, even if it does deprive the spiders of a home.
The last loaf is nearly finished - Dear Hubby is helping out as he says it is quite tasty, bearly like packing material at all!

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, posted too soon....and I will post about the next version in a few days!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a look at the Gabi recipe a while back but got put off by the Splenda. Thanks for putting it up, I will have another look and try again, with "personalisation" aka tweaks. I really want to get a bread machine recipe going as it seems so much more convenient than making your actual bake-in-the-oven loaf, even if it does deprive the spiders of a home.
The last loaf is nearly finished - Dear Hubby is helping out as he says it is quite tasty, bearly like packing material at all!
I take it you noticed that I don't add the Splenda, it's bread not cake. I make rolls as I freeze them and thaw one a day for my lunch.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm thinking of sending the thread plus the Lidl feedback to Tesco to see if they are up for it!!

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Something else we have been using has now disappeared, Aldi cauli rice :nailbiting:

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just spoken to someone in Lidl Customer service, I rang them on the number posted above. I asked them why the rolls aren’t on the shelves, and was told it’s a manufacturing issue. They say they are extremely popular and they have been getting LOADS of calls about them from disappointed customers. They said that they hope the disappearance of the rolls is temporary, it hasn’t been their decision to stop selling them, rather that it was out of their control as the manufacturers stopped supplying them. They are hoping to get a replacement but couldn’t give a timescale for this.
Honestly, the more phone calls they get about this, the better, it might make them speed things up although I think they are realising just how popular they are with diabetics because nowhere else sells anything quite like them.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got hold of some Sainsbury's Hi Lo bread. It contains 15.6g of carbs and a massive 24.7 of protein. I slice has 5g of carbs and 8.1 of protein. The fat content could be higher at 8.7g per 100g - 2/8 a slice so I will be using t with a load of butter or cheese on it!! It will do as a substitute for the lidl rolls until they return @ £1.75 for a 400g loaf