Type 1 R-ALA

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alpha lipoic acid R type for neuropathy. I’m taking 600mg a day split between dinner and tea ( lunch and dinner/supper if you’re confused ) as I’m already on thyroxine in the morning. I’ve told the GP ( never heard of it ) and the podiatrist ( same ) and the DSN ( same ). I’m buying the Swanson triple strength which is about £20 a month. I’ve been doing this for about 6 weeks and am going through a phase of bad pain in my feet and hands at night again, after initially good results. Does this mean I need more, it’s really dear but even the GP commented that the alternatives such as Gapapentin etc, all of which I’ve had are ‘horrible.’ Or..... does it mean it’s just not working for me. I’m also having shoulder tightness/ pain when my feet and hands are bad - so after 42 years I’m a bit disappointed it’s happening like this. Is that neuropathy too? No one seems to know. Any advice is welcome

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really cannot comment on the dosage but at £20 per month, I think you're paying too much for it....

120 pills is only £13 on Amazon, with free delivery - so should last you 60 days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swanson-Ultra-Alpha-Lipoic-Acid/dp/B00068JQLK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1518972376&sr=8-1&keywords=r-ala&refinements=p_89:Swanson

Thanks for that. These are the exact ones I buy from Amazon at £18 as they’re ‘triple strength’ 300mg. I contacted the company to ask if that meant each capsule was 900mg in that case. It took a few experts a while to decide....Do you think I’d be better to take two 300mg of ordinary strength? Confusing or what?!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Somebody may come along and correct me but I tend to think that 'Triple Strength' is simply marketing blurb.

If it states 300mg on the label - that's what each tablet\pill contains.

Again, even if I knew the answer to your question (which I don't) I cannot advise you on dosage - it's against the roools.

Regards
Urb

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. These are the exact ones I buy from Amazon at £18 as they’re ‘triple strength’ 300mg. I contacted the company to ask if that meant each capsule was 900mg in that case. It took a few experts a while to decide....Do you think I’d be better to take two 300mg of ordinary strength? Confusing or what?!

You’re probably right. They didn’t seem to have a proper answer that explained it - why buy 300mg triple strength if at the end of the day it’s still just 300mg? Thanks! You’ve saved me a fiver to spend on something more exciting

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re probably right. They didn’t seem to have a proper answer that explained it - why buy 300mg triple strength if at the end of the day it’s still just 300mg? Thanks! You’ve saved me a fiver to spend on something more exciting

It could be because the R-ALA tablets are almost 100% ALA (the active ingredient) and are 100% natural. Ordinary ALA tablets are a mix of natural ALA and other stuff, and are approx half the strength for the same sized tablet. So someone wanting 300mg of ALA would need to take 600mg of ordinary ALA tablets to have the same effect as R-ALA tablets.

Reactions: Robbity

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be because the R-ALA tablets are almost 100% ALA (the active ingredient) and are 100% natural. Ordinary ALA tablets are a mix of natural ALA and other stuff, and are approx half the strength for the same sized tablet. So someone wanting 300mg of ALA would need to take 600mg of ordinary ALA tablets to have the same effect as R-ALA tablets.

Aaahhh I get it now.... so maybe I should stick with the R-ALA? I’ve been reading what others have said too though, and might see if it’s worse after I’ve had more carbs too. Thanks very much x

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Somebody may come along and correct me but I tend to think that 'Triple Strength' is simply marketing blurb.

If it states 300mg on the label - that's what each tablet\pill contains.

Again, even if I knew the answer to your question (which I don't) I cannot advise you on dosage - it's against the roools.

Regards
Urb

Maybe it’s because I’ve been taking the R-ALA as someone’s just mentioned?

wendy0804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just bought BEst Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg each tablet on Amazon for £18. Have only taken 3 so far but no change. My neuropathy is in my abdomen & is really painful.. My GP prescribed chilli ointment (which the pain from that is worse than the neuropathy) and amiltryptaline which one tablet daily completely knocks me out to the point of falling asleep at my desk at work! Not a good career move. Not sure how long the ALA will take to kick in? Any experience out there? Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just bought BEst Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg each tablet on Amazon for £18. Have only taken 3 so far but no change. My neuropathy is in my abdomen & is really painful.. My GP prescribed chilli ointment (which the pain from that is worse than the neuropathy) and amiltryptaline which one tablet daily completely knocks me out to the point of falling asleep at my desk at work! Not a good career move. Not sure how long the ALA will take to kick in? Any experience out there? Thanks.

Is it R-ALA ? In other words, does it contain the R fraction? The plain ALA is only around half the strength of the R-ALA.
This is the one I buy. The website explains the difference better than I can.

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa... Double Strength R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. I’m on 1200 a day now and noticed a big difference within a week, almost no pain now in my hands and feet. I’d been on Amatryptiline as well as all of the others too and it’s horrible. I’m very glad I’m not on anything now that has side effects. I take ALA, Magnesium, Turmeric, vitamin b and c and d daily, and now feel loads better. Hope this helps x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alpha lipoic acid R type for neuropathy. I’m taking 600mg a day split between dinner and tea
I'm probably going to invest in some R-ALA in the hopes of improving my relationship with carbs. Dr Bernstein is an enthusiast and suggests 200mg every 8 hours, together with 500mg Evening primrose oil. He also says that we need more biotin when taking R-ALA, so we should buy the capsules with biotin added. As far as I can see, in the UK these are only available from Jarrow.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jarrow-R-A...23206553&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=R+-+ALA&psc=1
I am already eating very low carb and Dr B is himself a living proof that diabetic complications can sometimes be reversed by keeping bg low. I see lowering bg by lowering carbs and perhaps exercise as the first line of attack and taking supplements as an add-on.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An important caveat to bear in mind: in diabetic neuropathy numbness is the next stage after pain and tingling, and starting to heal involves going back through the painful stage before arriving at normality. So it's important not to congratulate oneself too soon if the pain goes away after taking a supplement. Here is part of an article on diabetic neuropathy by Jenny Ruhl:

"Diabetic Neuropathy CAN be Stopped and Even Reversed
Don't settle for drugs that only numb nerve pain. Eliminate the high post-meal blood sugars that cause neuropathy and your nerves will regenerate!

The way you eliminate the high post-meal blood sugars that are damaging your nerves is surprisingly simple but very effective. Read about it here:

How To Lower Your Blood Sugar

A study conducted in Kumamoto Japan found that people who concentrated on lowering their blood sugar after every meal to even a higher blood sugar target than the one recommended by the American College of Clinical Endocrinology, saw their neuropathy reverse slightly. People who had the identical A1cs but had not lowered their post-meal blood sugars had much higher rates of neuropathy."

You can read the full article here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16162153.php

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr B advises to take biotin with R ALA. Does anyone do this, and have you found a reasonably priced source? He suggests qite a modest dose, but all the supplements I have found give mega doses, and prices to match.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about eating extra eggs? They are stuffed full of biotin.
Good idea! I Googled and found this:

"World's Healthiest Foods ranked as quality sources of biotin
Food
Serving Size Amount (mcg)
Almonds 0.25 cup 14.72
Eggs 1 each 8.00
Onions 1 cup 7.98"

It's just a shame that due to carb restriction I can't eat the huge quantities of almonds I used to. However 2 eggs a day might just do it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two more foods I already eat quite a lot and that contain biotin:

Walnuts 0.25 cup 5.70 mcg
Salmon 4 oz 4.54 mcg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two more foods I already eat quite a lot and that contain biotin:

Walnuts 0.25 cup 5.70 mcg
Salmon 4 oz 4.54 mcg

It is always worth checking we are getting enough of any nutrient in our normal diets before considering supplementing, especially if we have no deficiency symptoms.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is always worth checking we are getting enough of any nutrient in our normal diets before considering supplementing, especially if we have no deficiency symptoms.
Absolutely, but in this case it is said to be the R-ALA that creates the deficiency.