What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you like the Adonis bars @ziggy_w , I’m armed with some today and a low carb carrot cake, we’re off to my parents on the south coast for the day, so need something to nibble when the biscuits come out with the coffee! My Dad who’s in charge of food (Mum is getting frail :() is very aware of my low carbing and will do a suitable lunch, but dinner I’m winging it for the first time, we’re going to a local restaurant and I haven’t seen the menu :wideyed:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
09B20469-2922-4735-8A22-DE7DCB15DC9A.jpeg Good morning all
@Rachox and @ziggy_w have a good day out today - Germany sounds a lot sunnier today enjoy Ziggy hope it brings your bgs down - it’s raining heavily here just now in the middle of the UK!
Too late last night when got back after a late dinner @nd evening with friends so doing Fridays food this morning.
Breakfast one rasher bacon, egg and mushrooms
Lunch made oopsies thank you @maglil55 for inspiration to take out on a long walk as we had lovely sunny day yesterday - did filling of advocado and prawns - see photo - they worked and tasted better than expected. Rest in fridge for today.
Dinner starter pulled pork with salad -avoided bread and relish- - main salmon cooked in butter had to miss most of veg though as all high carb veg - pudding my contribution of chocolate olive oil cake , raspberries and cream (delicious) and a few glasses of French Chardonnay. My bloods up a bit yesterday and this am but ate so late I,m not surprised and will give breakfast a swerve this am to recover ....

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya planning on giving them a go in am - Do you make your oopsies exactly as dd site or any alterations note that some comments below recipe add cream of tartare to egg whites and wonder if you did?
No - for once I followed the recipe (highly unusual for me). I do use my beloved Kenwood Chef though. I had one for 40 odd years and my Hubby bought me a new one for my birthday last year. It made a great and quick job of the egg whites.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No - for once I followed the recipe (highly unusual for me). I do use my beloved Kenwood Chef though. I had one for 40 odd years and my Hubby bought me a new one for my birthday last year. It made a great and quick job of the egg whites.
Thanks @maglil55 i decided to stick to dd recipe too and used my kenwood too - very impressed by result and even better being zero carb too. This recipe will be a keeper.
Next experiment in a day or two when eaten oopsies will be the dd keto rolls a favourite of @ziggy_w - have kept meaning to try them too but have had low carb bread in freezer to use up and busy but find cooking @nd experimenting relaxing so aim to do more.
My chocolate olive cake yesterday btw was best ever and liked by all my friends and some cake left over for next day or two although need to keep away from the chaps!

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed on Thursday 6.1 and FBG 6.8. Thankfully no evening phenomenon on Thursday or last night so I hope that means I'm getting better (there's hope for us @ziggy_w). Still had the DP burst yesterday but to 8.6 before it turned. So far this morning no DP jump.
Anyway, Friday
B. 2 scrambled eggs with cooked back bacon through it. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Used the last of the Oopsie to make another rare roast beef, lettuce , tomato and mustard mayo sandwich with another Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Changed from what was planned. Hubby decided to make a huge pot of chicken and veg soup as I seemed to have an awful lot of veg. So a bowl of his freshly made soup it was - very good it was too. Stretched to a scoop of Halo Top mint with 2 squares Lindt 90%.
BGs were hanging about the 5's and I finally went to bed on 6.1. I was wondering if Halo Top was causing the evening phenomenon but obviously not.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
77EE4088-35BE-457C-8D1D-45B77EDC4781.jpeg

Thought I’d have a go at the DD rolls using @ziggy_w s adapted recipe but using fibre flour rather than almond flour. They mixed well, cooked well and looked good they even sounded hollow when you tapped them ie just like bread - trouble was they were hollow! Made us all laugh when we cut into them and there was no bread inside - well you can fit a lot of filling in them and good for scooping up curry.... teach me to meddle with a good recipe!
Breakfast - none had overdone it night before so not hungry
Lunch toasted 2 left over oopsies and served with advocado mashed with lemon juice and advocado oil followed by small slice choc olive oil cake and cream
Dinner turkey curry with 2 of my “shell” rolls ( only 1.5 g of carbs per roll!) for dipping followed by another slice of olive oil cake and cream
Gin and soda water to follow later - wishing all a good evening.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 26031
Thought I’d have a go at the DD rolls using @ziggy_w s adapted recipe but using fibre flour rather than almond flour. They mixed well, cooked well and looked good they even sounded hollow when you tapped them ie just like bread - trouble was they were hollow! Made us all laugh when we cut into them and there was no bread inside - well you can fit a lot of filling in them and good for scooping up curry.... teach me to meddle with a good recipe!
Breakfast - none had overdone it night before so not hungry
Lunch toasted 2 left over oopsies and served with advocado mashed with lemon juice and advocado oil followed by small slice choc olive oil cake and cream
Dinner turkey curry with 2 of my “shell” rolls ( only 1.5 g of carbs per roll!) for dipping followed by another slice of olive oil cake and cream
Gin and soda water to follow later - wishing all a good evening.
Have to admit I laughed too (as did No 1 grandson when I explained what I was laughing at). Shame as they look good.

Reactions: Grannypat

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.1 FBG 6.1. No evening phenomenon but DP eventually kicked in but just to 8.1 today. BGs were very settled until grandsons stressed me out! A look at the rising BGs settled them down ( at their house thankfully and not a late night).
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a bit of the leftover chicken from the soup
L. Another bit of the leftover chicken, dessert spoon of coronation chicken , 2 small tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and small bit cheddar.
D. Slice each of pork, ox tongue, mortadella, deli turkey, dessert spoon of chicken, coleslaw. Lettuce , 2 mini tomatoes and a bit cheese. Had to be an early meal as I was heading along to watch boys.
BGs descending again and should get home in about 45 mins.
@shelley262 - I'll give these rolls a go tomorrow. The recipe was very similar to the garlic bread. It tasted fine when I made the garlic bread but it was too dry to form properly. @ziggy_w did say the boiling water needed doubled up. I'll see how I get on (And if I get bread in the middle )

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 6.1 FBG 6.1. No evening phenomenon but DP eventually kicked in but just to 8.1 today. BGs were very settled until grandsons stressed me out! A look at the rising BGs settled them down ( at their house thankfully and not a late night).
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a bit of the leftover chicken from the soup
L. Another bit of the leftover chicken, dessert spoon of coronation chicken , 2 small tomatoes, 1/2 avocado and small bit cheddar.
D. Slice each of pork, ox tongue, mortadella, deli turkey, dessert spoon of chicken, coleslaw. Lettuce , 2 mini tomatoes and a bit cheese. Had to be an early meal as I was heading along to watch boys.
BGs descending again and should get home in about 45 mins.
@shelley262 - I'll give these rolls a go tomorrow. The recipe was very similar to the garlic bread. It tasted fine when I made the garlic bread but it was too dry to form properly. @ziggy_w did say the boiling water needed doubled up. I'll see how I get on (And if I get bread in the middle )
I did double water up as Ziggy suggested and that worked only thing I did different was using fibre flour rather than almond flour so hopefully you'll get bread in yours if use almond flour ! Hope your bgs settle.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Managed a day where my meals apart from breakfast were mainly out of my control, so:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at my Mum & Dad’s: cold ham, chicken and cheese with salad of celery, carrot, tomato and cucumber, followed by low carb carrot cake that I took with cream.
Dinner out at a local restaurant: gammon steak, fried egg, a pineapple ring, mushrooms and peas followed by black coffee and one teaspoonful of hubby’s lemon meringue pie!
All done with an average blood sugar today of 5.3, pretty pleased with myself :happy:

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
salad
salt reduced blue cheese dressing
grated parmesan cheese
diet hot chocolate
no rapid insulin
but
high for me

sausage and egg mcmuffin no bun (not sure of the carbs)
no rapid insulin (just my regular 100 units lantus)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Too knackered to post yesterday - spent the entire day spring cleaning. We’re talking moving furniture, taking everything off the shelves, the lot. Started while it was still dark in the morning and didn’t finish until 4.30pm! There was a short trip to Waitrose in the middle, ut otherwise full on cleaning.

Earnt my dinner of brined chicken leg with cauliflower cheese followed by chocolate chia pudding with cream. Experimented with the pudding - used only almond milk for the fluid rather than a mix of that and double cream. Same volume, but it hadn’t quite set in the middle, so a bit runny. Tasted great - also using a different cocoa so a stronger chocolate flavour - but will need to adjust the liquid or up the seeds.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Had a wonderful day yesterday. Went into the city and did some window shopping, also picked up a liter of avocado oil and some spices. The rest of the afternoon spent in a side walk cafe, enjoying the sun. Actually ate very little yesterday plus two glasses of red wine and a rather large zip of hubby's pilsener (the pilsener actually isn't too bad with 2.5g of carbs per 100g). So, blood sugar last night upon home where in the 4s (first time this week) and I got up to a 5.2.

@shelley262 -- hollow roles is what happened to me a lot in the beginning too. I actually ended up filling them with tuna salad (if life gives you lemons ...). Maybe, in this case use a bit less water next time. The correct amount of water might actually depend on the types of flour you use. I found incorporating chia flour or chia seeds increases the amount of water needed a bit. Currently, I actually add a total of three cups of water -- so I assume two cups is a good basis to start from and then adjust. When I have used just one cup of hot water (as suggested in the recipe), the rolls hardly rise at all and are hard as stones.

The lupini beans, the ketchup and the orange peel oil arrived yesterday. First, I tried the lupini beans fresh from the glass and they are quite firm -- so not like cooked beans. Perhaps not a bad snack. This morning then I experimented a bit and used them instead of chick peas in hummus and it actually is quite close in taste. So, the ingredients are lupini beans, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic -- so pretty close to zero carb (I figure about 1g of carbs per 100g). This afternoon, I will see how my blood sugars react to it.

@Rachox -- still waiting for the Adonis bars, but really looking forward to them. It is going to be so much easier to have something available to take with me to work, especially when I don't have to time for breakfast and have to work late.

@maglil55 -- Good to see that your blood sugars are coming down slowly -- it is quite frustrating isn't it. Right now, the only time I seem to get back to my usual levels is when I semi-starve myself -- so probably not a long-term strategy. However, I still feel the cold lurking, yesterday I had a sore throat again.

So, foods on Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. About 100g of tartar with a bit of mayonnaise and two fried eggs.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: About 100g of cheese and two small skewers of lamb, one merguez sausage and two glasses of dry red wine.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late from yesterday....
Small soya cappuchino...first in a very long time so did enjoy,
Lashing of liver pates with butter and little gem plus a couple of flax crackers for crunch
Double cheese burger cooked in butter minus the bun.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox -- still waiting for the Adonis bars, but really looking forward to them. It is going to be so much easier to have something available to take with me to work, especially when I don't have to time for breakfast and have to work late.

I hope you don’t have to wait much longer for them. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Reactions: ziggy_w