XDrip on iOS - Switching between Official and Non Official App

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since my last appearance, apologies. I am not too sure what I am aiming about in my post but as there is significantly less information on XDrip and iOS I thought I would update everyone how it is going.

So I read about XDrip on iOS (not XDrip+ sadly) and thought I may have to try this out (mostly to prolong batteries and hopefully reuse transmitters (replacing battery). These things cost a fortune! I can just about cope!

I have not got onto the replacement of batteries but there seems to be a few tutorials to base my hacking and slashing on, I have a few spares to play with anyway.

I am going to try to juggle the apps when the transmitter is fresh (and it seems to reconnect in 5 minutes) so this is a plus, and then migrate over to XDrip when my transmitter runs out.

Anyway my queries at the moment would be:

If a sensor is dodgy on insertion (rarely happens but has) how do you go about reimbursement? Has anyone had any converse with dexcom while using XDrip instead of Dexcom?

Has anyone else used the official and x drip apps together?

If anyone has queries or particular requests comment away. And if anyone has any info on the pros and cons of XDrip (not XDrip +) please pass on. :)

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since my last appearance, apologies. I am not too sure what I am aiming about in my post but as there is significantly less information on XDrip and iOS I thought I would update everyone how it is going.

So I read about XDrip on iOS (not XDrip+ sadly) and thought I may have to try this out (mostly to prolong batteries and hopefully reuse transmitters (replacing battery). These things cost a fortune! I can just about cope!

I have not got onto the replacement of batteries but there seems to be a few tutorials to base my hacking and slashing on, I have a few spares to play with anyway.

I am going to try to juggle the apps when the transmitter is fresh (and it seems to reconnect in 5 minutes) so this is a plus, and then migrate over to XDrip when my transmitter runs out.

Anyway my queries at the moment would be:

If a sensor is dodgy on insertion (rarely happens but has) how do you go about reimbursement? Has anyone had any converse with dexcom while using XDrip instead of Dexcom?

Has anyone else used the official and x drip apps together?

If anyone has queries or particular requests comment away. And if anyone has any info on the pros and cons of XDrip (not XDrip +) please pass on. :)
Hi @ElkBond , sorry I have been on/off the forum for some longer period of time. And now when back found it both intriguing and sad that nobody took up to replying or joining your conservation about using an iOS device with XDrip+ or other Apps for CGM purpose.

Would be happy to join you in this journey to explore what is best on the market these days as so many new interesting and exciting things are happening and much has certainly also happened since you wrote this message back in November last year!

I for one would enjoy to hear input from anybody knowing of some of the best iOS Apps to go together with the blucon and Libre configuration, as found that myself to be the base tech that I will try and explore better this year. Also got myself an Android smartwatch to get the bg handy on my arm wrist. Though still considering getting one of the more robust models from Garmin that are also watertight, can show the HR also and lasting for more days without recharging.

Number one priority for me is to get the warnings of going too high or too low compared to a user set value.
And then also have the current measured bg value and trend indicator (as I have it on the Abbott Reader, but I want it continuously by using e.g. the blucon that I already have)

Lets hear about what people are using out there and what works well for the iPhone/IPad?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha I was getting a bit lonely on this thread! Thanks @Celsus

Since this thread there is a new app based on ios xdrip called Spike. Visually it is much better but if I am totally honest I have reverted back to the official dexcom app and will only use Xdrip or Spike with an expired transmitter. I could not get on with the algorithm at all, it was never ever close, always off by 1mmol or more so I bit the bullet and bought a new transmitter and using the same sensor it was bang on. The transmitter was still in the green range on the app (as they can give odd readings when low) and not near its end of life. Maybe I am just used to the Dexcom sensor, maybe the smoothing it has seems to gel with my body more who knows.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha I was getting a bit lonely on this thread! Thanks @Celsus

Since this thread there is a new app based on ios xdrip called Spike. Visually it is much better but if I am totally honest I have reverted back to the official dexcom app and will only use Xdrip or Spike with an expired transmitter. I could not get on with the algorithm at all, it was never ever close, always off by 1mmol or more so I bit the bullet and bought a new transmitter and using the same sensor it was bang on. The transmitter was still in the green range on the app (as they can give odd readings when low) and not near its end of life. Maybe I am just used to the Dexcom sensor, maybe the smoothing it has seems to gel with my body more who knows.
Searching in the app store right now for "xdrip" using an iphone gives you two results:
Sugarmate (think though this app is targeted for the Dexcom G5 sensor, but does it also work for Libre with Blucon?)
Nightscout X (I like the open source and non-profit collaborative group effort behind this. But does it work as needed?)

Anybody out there with some experience with any of these two?
Would be great to hear more from fellow users!

Steve3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't believe either of those apps will read from a Dexcom - iosxdrip has been superseded by an app called Spike: https://spike-app.com and https://www.facebook.com/groups/spikeapp/. Works really well with lots of support in the Facebook group.

Edited to say: Just seen Spike was mentioned above. I'm happy with Spike, and happy to not have to do a sensor warmup every week, especially as I'm usually able to get three weeks plus from each sensor. I find the algorithm works for me. I'm self funding transmitters and sensors and have gone down the route of DIY replacing the batteries in the G5 sensor.

Last edited: