Newcomer of an 11yr old girl with Type 1

diabetesdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my daughter was diagnosed on Thursday with Type 1 diabetes. As you all know, it’s come as a bit of a shock but so far she is taking it all in her stride. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Sorry to hear your news.

We've a two and half year old daughter with T1 - diagnosed in October 2017. Due to her age we got the hospital to provide a Pump and Continual Glucose Monitor. It means no pen injections (But some other insertion procedures) and we can keep a track of her levels overnight as she has no hypo awareness.

It's a big change for any family and a lot to take in initially. I'd say don't be afraid to ask questions and keep pushing your healthcare provider to review the levels, ratios etc.

Not sure of what medication plan you are going to follow, but there are enough people on the forum here to provide useful info on their experiences with most of the options available. There are also local groups most places which can arrange family days out and support meetings. This can help as your daughter will have the opportunity to see other kids and share their experiences.

Take one day at a time, it is something that affects what you do day to day, but with careful planning and a good care plan there's no reason why your daughter shouldn't be able to carry on doing everything she's done prior to diagnosis.

All the best.

diabetesdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for the reply. She is on insulin injections, so far taking it in her stride. Back to school on Friday......

justadad

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed on Thursday with Type 1 diabetes. As you all know, it’s come as a bit of a shock but so far she is taking it all in her stride. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

My son will be turning 12 in a month. Diagnosed a year ago, so everything is still fresh in my memory.
I will be happy to offer advice, experience from our year long fight. I am not an expert, obviously, just a dad! :)

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, our son is 10 years old and was diagnosed 1 month ago today, so I can definitely relate. Massive shock for us as well, and a lot to process for him & us. He’s been a champ though, doing his own injections within the first few days. He’s very active, plays a lot of sports so fending off the lows has been our main focus. Big thing we learned was that his insulin requirements were much less once he left hospital, so we had his ratios and overnight doses reduced. Also we got a freestyle libre, while definitely not 100% accurate, it’s been very helpful to identify trends and reduced the amount of finger pokes required. Wishing your daughter and your family all the best - this forum has been extremely helpful for us, all the way across the pond here in Canada. Hang in there!

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! My 9-year old son was dx a week ago with Type 1.
I’m sorry to hear that, it’s definitely a lot to absorb and manage, for sure. However I can say that our son, who is very active, has been able to return to playing all of his sports and activities which has been very good for him, and us. One thing that’s really helped us is that 1 of his baseball coaches is T1D, he was diagnosed at 4 years old, and played competitive rugby into his 20’s, and many other sports, etc. Our main challenge has been to fend off the lows, he’s learned how he feels when he starts to go low (shaky, sweat on his forehead, and tired), so we check him and give him some fast acting sugar which does the trick. We got a Freestyle Libre flash glucose monitor which has helped also. Wishing you all the best from here in Canada, and if there are any experiences we can share with you to help, I’d be happy to. Hang in there!!

Reactions: HopeGirl

HopeGirl

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m sorry to hear that, it’s definitely a lot to absorb and manage, for sure. However I can say that our son, who is very active, has been able to return to playing all of his sports and activities which has been very good for him, and us. One thing that’s really helped us is that 1 of his baseball coaches is T1D, he was diagnosed at 4 years old, and played competitive rugby into his 20’s, and many other sports, etc. Our main challenge has been to fend off the lows, he’s learned how he feels when he starts to go low (shaky, sweat on his forehead, and tired), so we check him and give him some fast acting sugar which does the trick. We got a Freestyle Libre flash glucose monitor which has helped also. Wishing you all the best from here in Canada, and if there are any experiences we can share with you to help, I’d be happy to. Hang in there!!

That's very kind, thank you. My son is autistic as well, but handling it all like a star. Positive role models are so good. Lovely to hear he has that in his baseball coach!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's very kind, thank you. My son is autistic as well, but handling it all like a star. Positive role models are so good. Lovely to hear he has that in his baseball coach!
Glad to hear he’s doing well - I’ve found the forums on this site to be a great resource, and while it’s a lot to deal with, each week gets a bit easier.

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning
Ahem its a long time since I was 11 but I was diagnosed aged 6.
I'm now almost 50 and in good shape.

The futures bright.......

Good luck

Tony
Hi Tony, thanks, it’s great for us newbies to hear that. You sound just like my son’s baseball coach. cheers, Ian