Worried about husband

jay_london

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't read through all the posts, so these may already have been suggested:

It seems a psychological problem, probably denial as suggested. Have you told him you want the man you married back?

Have you tried both the extreme negatives (what will happen if he doesn't change and how soon it is likely to happen) and the extreme positives (examples such as those on this forum of people who were very ill managing to turn it around)? If he's in denial then I guess either extremes won't work, but it may be that he responds better to positives than negatives or vice-versa. If you've focused on one in the past, how about focusing on the other.

One thing I think may be very useful for people in denial, or just not taking it seriously enough:

I like that video because it's so matter-of-fact. I don't think your husband will feel either nagged at or encouraged by that video - he'll just see it as an insight into the reality of T2 for people who don't take action. Including one man who's just had a foot removed who warns people to take it seriously.

what a sobering video, thanks for posting. This really brings it home

jay_london

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ruby,

Different people react in different ways, underneath it all your husband is probably very scared and holding his emotions in.

For me, when diagnosed I was lashing out at my loved ones who were trying to do the right thing - but to me felt like interference.

I quickly had to get over this which was all mental and moved onto the 8 week BSD.

Perhaps your husband just needs a little more time to accept things.

That video that was posted earlier is good, first time I’ve seen it and knocked in some real home truths.

All the best and good luck

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Why not suggest that you would like to renew your wedding vows, if possible with both of you wearing your original wedding clothes, or similar, maybe in a couple of years. It will probably mean that both of you have to lose weight and get fitter. As has already been said it sounds as if he is in denial but is afraid of admitting that he has been eating incorrectly for years, although he knows that already. To admit it he is afraid that you will blame him, that others will blame him and he can not let that happen. By working together on a project you are both taking responsibility. Imagine how proud your daughter will be of her father and mother, and it will be a lesson for her to see her parents working together to solve a problem.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should have said dont forget lots of real butter on the veg. Include fats where you can eg. Full fat Greek yogurt, double cream, cream cheese. This will supply energy. I havent been doing this long and am no expert but I reduced my numbers significantly in a few months and have never felt better.
Good point. Greek yoghurt (full fat) is what I have for breakfast these days, with a few berries (blackcurrants strawberries or whatever). Not everyone can tolerate this. But I saw what normal breakfast cereals did to my blood sugar. One morning just after diagnosis I had five mini wheats with a splash of milk. That's nothing. Even immediately after eating it I was hungry, and it was a real low point as my blood sugar shot up anyway! I haven't eaten cereal for breakfast since. Full fat greek yoghurt for speed on workdays, bacon eggs sausage etc or the yoghurt other days. Speed isn't an argument when I can eat my yogurt breakfast faster than five mini wheats!

Oh, and I no longer feel hungry as soon as I get to work!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Thank you Lou, did you use a particular website rom recipe book for low carb seem daunted by so many
OK, here goes. Let's start with the biggest problem. He has a sandwich every day. Since he can't have bread, make him some LC rolls. 2 recipes which are pretty good

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Stuff them full of meat, add butter, mayo, mustard, lettuce if he likes. (The low carb rolls are really filling.). Give him pickles, radishes, carrots, anything crispy. You can even add coleslaw.

These rolls are also great for hamburgers and hotdogs.

Don't worry about the rest for now. One step at a time.

Tell him men tend to lose weight quickly with this way of eating so he only needs to try it, maybe for 6 weeks!

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is he into bacon and eggs? If so then putting him on a bacon and egg diet for a few days - ( add some mushrooms and tomatoes and just tell him the bread ran out - should start to bring down his blood sugars nicely !

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be careful with some recommendations. You need to check ingredients. Here in the UK I can never find a coleslaw that doesn't have added sugar, and many but not all mayo's do as well. Pickled gherkins, yes those too (at least the ones I've checked so far). For coleslaw I made my own using mayo that I checked had no sugar. The 'audience' on Saturday loved it!