Blood glucose meters.

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi , just ordered this SD Codefree blood glucose meter starter pack, with spare lancets and test strips. Can anyone tell me if this is a good starter blood glucose meter, for a novice?
Thanks in advance ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_3933.PNG
    IMG_3933.PNG
    220.2 KB · Views: 441

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Bluetit1802

TedTomato

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
You paid £13 for something you could have received...for free.

Search for TEE2 for instance, and you can get a similar kit (including device, lancets, 10 test strips, case) for free.

Also, buying 100 lancets was probably overkill. Many people keep the same lancet for days or weeks, without issues. The 10 provided in the kit could last a long time.

Personally, I would recommend the Contour Next One device, which you can also get for free from the manufacturer. It's more advanced/higher end than the SD codefree or TEE2 devices. The test strips are a bit more expensive, but fewer are wasted.

https://www.contournextone.co.uk/Register_uk?promo=Web16

Reactions: pjayem1964

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The test strips are a bit more expensive, but fewer are waster.
I have the Codefree and I don't get any wasted strips! I also get a prescription for 50 strips per month from my GP but I am aware that I am very lucky to get that!
As @daisyduck said, the strips are the biggest outlay so it may be short sighted to go for the 'free' meter.

TedTomato

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Having tried the SD codefree device and TEE2, I wasted quite a few strips when not enough blood was applied.

The Contour One Next allows for more blood to be applied if required.

I believe the TEE2 test strips are pretty much the same price as the SD Codefree one, so why pay £13 for the device/kit, particularly when the TEE2 Plus is now provided (includes Bluetooth connection to smartphones)

The TEE2 strips also need less blood than the SD Codefree.

I don't test that often, so the Contour One Next works better for me, and is supposed to be more precise too.

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems like glucose monitors are a complete minefield. Just feeling more confused than ever now.

TedTomato

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
If you are going to test yourself several times a day (and therefore use hundreds of test strips), the SD codefree device you have bought would be the cheapest in the long run. However, it's the most basic device, test strips require more blood, and personal experience is that quite a few can be wasted.

If you are going to test yourself less often/a few times a week, then the TEE2+ free kit would make more sense. Device is more advanced, and test strip are only marginally more expensive. Test strips require less blood.

If you want a more upmarket/fancy device with a good smartphone app, then I would recommend the Contour Next One, which is my primary device now. Test strips are a bit more expensive, but device/kit is free. More blood can be applied to same test strip if required, so I have wasted very few. Device is also supposed to be more accurate.

Nowadays, many test devices are given for free, and manufacturers make their money on test strips. The SD Codefree is a bit of an exception, but you would need to use many test strips to pay back the device (like 500).

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like glucose monitors are a complete minefield. Just feeling more confused than ever now.
The most important thing is you have bought a meter. Whether it was £13 or free, who cares, it makes no difference in the long term. The main thing is to take readings to help you control your blood glucose. The SD Codefree is good little meter, get used to it before you decide to try something else, all meters have similar accuracy, some have more bells and whistles that I have never needed. I use a new lancet every time and I haven't wasted any strips for the last couple of years. You have done the right thing don't worry about it.

Reactions: rab5 and Lovodale

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree entirely with @Mr_Pot .

There is nothing wrong with the Codefree, and if you buy your strips in bulk using the codes you have been given, they work out a lot cheaper in the long term than any others. I used the Codefree for several years without wasting strips, and I struggle to get blood from my fingers. You may waste a few when you first try because you may get things wrong, but once you get the knack all will be well. You need an awful lot of strips, but only one meter.

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I'm back again
When it arrives, what is the best times to test? xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone. I'm happy with my purchase and I'm expecting it to arrive any day. I'm sure it's going to take some getting used to though. I appreciate your input xx

Just ask on here if you need help with it, especially the best times of day to use it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I'm back again
When it arrives, what is the best times to test? xx

Oooops. Posts crossed.

You need to be organised and systematic with testing. Random tests mean nothing. To begin with -

Test immediately before you eat
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the difference between the before and after levels and try to keep any rise under 2mmol/l preferably less.
More than 2mmol/l and there are too many carbs in that meal.
Keep a detailed food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside the food.
Watch for patterns emerging that will show you what your danger foods are. These need to be eliminated or kept to small portion sizes.

There are other recommended testing times, but these should be OK until you are confident you know what you are doing.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was guided that fasting test was important

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was guided that fasting test was important

I don't consider it at all useful, although I do still test my morning fasting but this is purely out of habit. What exactly does it tell us? It may tell us we are still highly insulin resistant, but do we need this re-enforcing every day? It may tell us we slept badly, or woke up anxious about something, or had too long a lie-in. It won't tell us whether we have just eaten too many carbs. There are so many external factors with this test that makes it unreliable. My surgery hasn't done these tests for quite a long time now because of this.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the wasting strips thing, I use the Codefree and did actually waste a few strips at the beginning (it gives you an E-2 error message), but have now discovered that it was the way I was using them that was an issue, and when I tried a more 90 degree angle, it helped a lot.

Whether it's less blood usage than other meters is not something I know. The last time I used a fancy schmancy one was 11 yeras ago, and I had US health insurance to cover it.

sambucca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the sd code free and also accu check mobile. The code free consistently gives a much higher reading than the accu check.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a Code Free fan. Cheap and cheerful, does the job :)

Reactions: dbr10