Melissa349

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please help!! I’ve been on dapagliflozin for nearly 2 months now and the side effects are ruining me. I’m having a lot of problems down there sore, stinging,itchy,dry, strong sweet smell, I’m struggling to have sex or even touch down there. Can’t get into my doctors for weeks now and no appointment with nurse until may. I don’t want to stop taking the tablets without the go ahead but feeling like I really need too. It’s effecting me so much. Has anyone had issues or got some advice please?

Aperolspritz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You probably have Candida (thrush). It’s a common side effect of this type of drug. I was plagued with it while taking this & eventually had to come off it - it drove me crazy! It would be a good idea to see your doctor but you can buy anti thrush cream and tablets from the pharmacy.

Reactions: Cookie8

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please help!! I’ve been on dapagliflozin for nearly 2 months now and the side effects are ruining me. I’m having a lot of problems down there sore, stinging,itchy,dry, strong sweet smell, I’m struggling to have sex or even touch down there. Can’t get into my doctors for weeks now and no appointment with nurse until may. I don’t want to stop taking the tablets without the go ahead but feeling like I really need too. It’s effecting me so much. Has anyone had issues or got some advice please?

Melissa - Most people do very well on that class of drug, but for some it can cause problems with thrush. Sounds like you drew a short straw.

Whilst I feel sure your Doc or nurse would want to see you, does your surgery do telephone consultations? That way your Doc could consider whether he needs to change your medication and how you should deal with it.

Have you tried any treatments for your thrush? You could try Canestan over the counter. If you decide to give that a go, please make sure you try the Duo variant, which is a cream and one capsule.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Melissa349

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Melissa - Most people do very well on that class of drug, but for some it can cause problems with thrush. Sounds like you drew a short straw.

Whilst I feel sure your Doc or nurse would want to see you, does your surgery do telephone consultations? That way your Doc could consider whether he needs to change your medication and how you should deal with it.

Have you tried any treatments for your thrush? You could try Canestan over the counter. If you decide to give that a go, please make sure you try the Duo variant, which is a cream and one capsule.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the doctors and had a swab and came back negative.
I have tried cream. Oral tablets for thrush and the tablet for down there and nothing. Got an appointment for 30th so I’ll hopefully get some answers.

Reactions: Andy1963 2

kejh83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi sorry to jump on post. I'm a t2 and have the same effects with this. But it's really helping with weight and lowering my levels. Cream and duo work for a bit then raring when it comes back.
Did you find anything that worked or did you have to come off the tablets. X

Melissa349

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’m still taking them but all symptoms have disappeared. I’m fine now and take one a day

kejh83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I’m still taking them but all symptoms have disappeared. I’m fine now and take one a day
That's great news! I might persevere a bit longer and hope it works. Did you use anything special? Thanks.

Melissa349

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No suffered for a few weeks. Used the cream, had oral tablet and the other but everything settled down and have been fine since. I did debate stopping taking them but glad I didn’t.

Reactions: kejh83