Type 1 Ladies - Menopause and HRT

crazycatlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. This thread's directed at ladies with Type 1 who are currently in the menopause and taking HRT. (If I 've posted this in the wrong bit, apologies!)
I recently had to have a total hysterectomy with ovary removal, so I went straight into surgical menopause. It's hit me like a breezeblock and my blood sugars are currently all over the shop despite my best efforts.
I saw my gynae-oncologist yesterday, and whilst I have been given the all-clear (yay!!), she has asked I start oestrogen only HRT, as my menopause symptoms are quite severe (especially the hot flashes and horrible night sweats. Oh, and the mind-full-of-treacle.)
I would very much appreciate it if any ladies out there in the same boat have any tips and what their experiences of HRT and diabetes management are.
Many thanks all.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife went through it (not surgical like yours) and took oral HRT and it didn't agree with her, but she switched to implanted pellets which have been great. They've changed the formulation some over the years though. Maybe every 3-4 months.

Miss Pin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on week one of hrt patches, and mirena coil, before blood sugars riding higher than usual...

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Menopause hit me hard with hot flashes, night sweats and crazy blood sugar swings. I think the combination of t1 and menopause is awful to manage. If you are not able to sleep at night with the sweats, it sucks the life out of you. I suffered for 2.5 years and finally decided to take HRT since the hot flashes were not improving. HRT helped me tremendously with mental health and diabetes management as well.

Reactions: Amyjo79 and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
HRT can give some cancer. My friend was one but luckily she's OK now.
It doesn't agree with everyone.
Irrespective of diabetes.
Don't take this lightly and research it carefully.

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 for 46 years, 54yrs old. The menopause has caused me a lot of control problems. I went on a pump in 2014 due to insulin sensitivity. Started HRT in 2016 due to 60+ hot flushes per day & sleepless nights, which has sorted them out, but it was a fight to get the doctor to understand the stress it was causing. Pre menopause exercise led to a drop in blood sugars, but now, exercise in the morning sends my blood sugars up! The diabetic consultant said this just happens in some people!!
I would recommend the HRT and close monitoring of all your test results.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am type 1 and use HRT patches. I was losing so much sleep due to night sweats that I was actually struggling to do my job properly, let alone dealing with type 1.
Initially I tried hrt in tablet form but struggled with them. The good thing about using patches is that you can get your dose just right (and let's face it we are all pretty good at that) you just cut them up. Initially I used a full patch and now cope after 4 years with half a patch.
Good luck with it.

Reactions: Amyjo79