Dizziness and loss of balance

veiga

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm new to diabetes too.

I haven't seen a doctor but will on the 17th. I bought one of those blood test devices and my mmol was 13.7. I did it because of dry mouth and peeing like a racehorse.

One of the things I think might be caused by diabetes but I'm not sure is this feeling of dizziness and loss of balance. It's like being drunk without the merry part.

I can't leave the house for fear of looking like the town drunk.

My mmol is down to 12.6 through help of a low carb diet.

Is it because of diabetes? Is there anything that can help?

Thanks

Tom

Reactions: laffinjake_

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a newbie so can't advise, however, I was feeling fairly lousy when I was diagnosed. The DN told me that she wasn't surprised because of the amount of glucose sloshing around my body. I did have dizziness so it may be the diabetes. Hang fire and others may chip in.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Problems with dizziness and balance can be down to something as simple as an inner ear infection. Having any infection can raise blood glucose levels so you need to be seen by your GP as you may need antibiotics.

Excessive thirst and urination do flag up possible Diabetes so your GP may order blood tests for this to confirm.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @veiga ,

Welcome to the forum.

If your syptoms is like being on a ship momentarily in a storm? (A little like being heavily intoxicated.)
Then I agree with @Guzzler , it could be an inner ear infection. Affecting perception of balance..
I had this about 9 years ago. Took me a lot of persuasion to convince my doc it wasn't insulin related....

callumchilled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bigotry, Superiority, Bullying.
Hi Tom,

One option that wouldn't hurt, is going to see your GP and telling them your concerns. They should be able to find out what it is, and then help you.

The blood glucose testers you can buy are great, but it can be tricky interpreting the results if you are not used to using one. Factors such as when you're eating, when your testing, which area you're testing from (fingertip, arm etc), and exercise, can play a big role in what your result is. I've always thought it best to get advice from the professionals before I start assuming something.

Hope this helps,

Callum

Reactions: Serena51

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @veiga
I did not have symptoms like yours before I was diagnosed, but when I started serious low carbing I suffered from dizziness and balance problems. I had been suffering again in the last month or so, so went to the GP and my blood pressure was too low. So, go to your GP and get everything checked out. Don't assume anything!

AndyRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a T1 I've experienced similar symptoms so it may be related, though I can't recall a health professional confirming the link. Having said that with T1 being an autoimmune condition it's not unusual for another auto conditions to go alongside the diabetes. I also have Graves' disease (overactive thyroid) which I believe can also make you feel pretty rough and possibly in a similar way.

My symptoms have improved since both conditions have settled down.

An endocrinologist will no doubt get to the bottom of it.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Letting your blood pressure get too low can cause loss of balance. For me, it was down to 90/60 (US measurement).

Jeannier9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise, salads, mushy foods.
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm new to diabetes too.

I haven't seen a doctor but will on the 17th. I bought one of those blood test devices and my mmol was 13.7. I did it because of dry mouth and peeing like a racehorse.

One of the things I think might be caused by diabetes but I'm not sure is this feeling of dizziness and loss of balance. It's like being drunk without the merry part.

I can't leave the house for fear of looking like the town drunk.

My mmol is down to 12.6 through help of a low carb diet.

Is it because of diabetes? Is there anything that can help?

Thanks

Tom

This may or may not be the reason you are experiencing the light-headedness, but for the first 3 wks after my diagnosis (T2) my doctor (a great believer in LCHF (low carb high fat) had me on zero carbs.

Unfortunately turns out that for me, without carbs, I experience dizziness, wobbles, and severe loss of memory. Happily the doctor recognised these (as our brains need carbs, albeit minimal), and we found the low balance that brought back most of my brain function, so I'm now on part keto (still have loss of memories, the largest is a 3 wk period, but can now function normally at work - am a heavy spreadsheet user).

So this may (or may not) be a result of lack of carbs. If your doctor is a ketogenic fan, make sure you let them know those symptoms. If they aren't a ketogenic fan, unfortunately you will have to find your way, with guidance from everyone's experience with keto in this forum.

Just know that you're not alone. There are now lots and lots of us here that are beating T2 on LCHF.

Oh, and btw, my doctor took me off blood testing 2 weeks ago, as my bc is normal. See - it's possible and doable :)

Reactions: Serena51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some medications have dizziness as a side effect.
Many a reason really. GP should know but it's never a bad idea to call your pharmacist if you are on meds already for side effects or med interations.
Or do a search on-line about your meds, if you take any.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello ,It sounds like an inner ear infection.I had a similar thing a few years ago I was at work when i started feeling dizzy on and off It got worse as the day went on.I just got home from work .Then the dizziness came on much more severe .The room was whirling around .I could not watch T.V. every thing seemed to be moving about.I had visions of having a stroke ,although there were no other symptoms.The next day i walked or should i say staggered down to the doctors.It was about 10am in the morning.People were looking thinking i was drunk.I arrived at the surgery i told the receptionist i was feeling very dizzy .i had no appointment i was told to go into the waiting room .and told a doctor would see me as soon as possible.the doctor checked my heart etc. And to my great relief said you have not had a stroke.He asked a few more questions ,and the said you have an inner ear infection.He said i would be ok in about 3 days .I took 6 weeks before it cleared up completely.It should clear up on it's own.I've had dizziness when i had diabetes .but not enough to feel like falling over.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun