Confused and concerned

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to back up what Chook wrote - although I have never used insulin - to control by diet, I need to eat fairly early in the day and have a small amount of carbs - even fewer than Chook, about 4 gm is what I aim for. It is a bit of a balancing act - too few is as bad as too many, timing is important.
I thought no carbs would be good - it isn't. BG rises all morning and crashes mid afternoon on a no carb breakfast.

Reactions: Lord Midas

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Thank you so much, @Chook. This is a great story and incredibly helpful. It's a waiting game. Patience is the key. I'll certainly be low carbing forever.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
@Chook 20 months! Wow, impressive patience. I know low carbing is essentially a lifestyle change, though that is a long time to get the results. I guess being on insulin is tougher to come off than tablets.

@Resurgam you must eat very few veggies too, to keep at 4gm of carbs. It must be a very high fat and protein diet.
For the crashing try eating a little something before bed. I've often got some meat in the fridge, or some Hazelnuts, maybe a bit of cheddar, just a mouthful will do. This can help.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Chook 20 months! Wow, impressive patience. I know low carbing is essentially a lifestyle change, though that is a long time to get the results. I guess being on insulin is tougher to come off than tablets.

@Resurgam you must eat very few veggies too, to keep at 4gm of carbs. It must be a very high fat and protein diet.
For the crashing try eating a little something before bed. I've often got some meat in the fridge, or some Hazelnuts, maybe a bit of cheddar, just a mouthful will do. This can help.

I'm type2,with insulin & have been Keto-ing sine Early January this year, so was interested in your notes. But, I don't understand about your problems, I think you must be talking about different insulins you take at different times.
I use Novamix 30 FlexPen for injecting before breakfast & before evening meal. Before January I was taking 31 units a.m. & 41 p.m., I'm now taking 23 a.m. & 30 units p.m. My b.s. Readings have improved greatly and I have lost 14lbs in weight. I have been diabetic for about 30 years and so wish I knew about
Ketogenic eating years ago. Last week Nurse at GP's surgery was very pleased with my results & was praising me so much, I began to feel guilty & explained about my Keto way of life - she raised her eyebrows & said "is that eating protein?" I then told her I'm lowering my insulin gradually & did she agree..she said "carry on and lower it a couple of units at a time and see how you are".

I've got 100's of things to learn .. thought I couldn't possibly do without my usual carbs, toast, potatoes etc, but here I am, non of those things since Jan., and enjoy my fry-up breakfasts!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I react to carbs differently morning and evening, but a few gm of carbs in a morning - a tomato or some mushrooms with the bacon and eggs for instance, and all is well until late evening when I can eat fairly liberally - 40 gm of carbs is possible then, though not from high carb foods, as I seem to react differently to them. No carbs in the morning and the BG goes on rising until about 3 pm and then goes down very fast. Just a few carbs seems to make a big difference. I need to eat soon after getting up too - fasting doesn't agree with me at all. Happily I got a meter and sorted out just what happened with various routines and settled on the one with the least variation.

Reactions: rom35