Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask you all if when you have a hypo does your eye site go all strange, whenever I have a hypo now it is like I have a migraine and I see lights. I'm just wondering how many other people get this sign?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @No1DeadlyPoison ,

Yes, I do..
It's a quite common symptom of a hypo. (I don't get headaches.) But I do get flashing white LEDs in the lower field of vision.
Or light reflecting on the waves of a body of water that isn't there..

Hope this helps!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask you all if when you have a hypo does your eye site go all strange, whenever I have a hypo now it is like I have a migraine and I see lights. I'm just wondering how many other people get this sign?
Yes, I get that

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Thank you for your replies.
I never used to get this symptom, I used to just get shaky, slightly moody and tired but I get the lights aswell now, it's very strange, feels like I've looked into a light bulb but it is the first symptom I get then the shaking and so on.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely here as well. I get double vision. Turn my head and whatever I'm looking at moves, stop my head but whatever I'm looking at continues moving then stops and comes back inline with where my head as stopped.
Weird sensation.:wacky::wacky:

Reactions: Emile_the_rat

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always had it (46 yrs now) but it's not so intense with the newer insulins. It's usually my first symptom.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, it's amazing how different we all are with hypo gigs. I had a very low one years back where I was wandering around the house on the journey back up and everything seemed hyper-illuminated like there was some film set lighting going on, but, apart from that one-off, there's not been any visual stuff.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only vision related symptom I get is momentary blurry or (as I call it) vibrating vision when my blood glucose is rapidly on the move.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always had it (46 yrs now) but it's not so intense with the newer insulins. It's usually my first symptom.

I call it my "heads up display."

Wow, it's amazing how different we all are with hypo gigs. I had a very low one years back where I was wandering around the house on the journey back up and everything seemed hyper-illuminated like there was some film set lighting going on, but, apart from that one-off, there's not been any visual stuff.

Light sensitity & colourblindness is part of the symptom. My tablet screen can white out when I go low.
Lol, back in the old days. Try matching the pastel shade "Dulux chart" with the pee sticks...

Reactions: robert72

bramas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for your replies.
I never used to get this symptom, I used to just get shaky, slightly moody and tired but I get the lights aswell now, it's very strange, feels like I've looked into a light bulb but it is the first symptom I get then the shaking and so on.

bramas

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Regarding 'flashing lights'...my optician tells me that if I should see flashing lights, I should consult an ophthalmologist. I wear glasses, so I see an optician frequently.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello .Look up Scintillating Scotoma on Google.Its an optical migraine.Which can affect your eyesight.You first notice a shimmering broken glass effect .where part of an object or letters you are looking at are missing The aura will get bigger effecting one eye worse than the other.I have had this i found it very frightening, at first thinking i was going to lose my eyesight.But. after about 20 minutes .It moves out of the corner of your eye ,and your eyesight returns to normal.Although it has never stopped me seeing things.Thank goodness.I believe it can effect anybody.I don't know what causes it.I don't think the doctors know either.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
One of the stranger but thankfully unusual effects of hypo I've experienced is shapes rearranging themselves in my field of vision, normal text all of a sudden looking like kanji or hieroglyphs or something, things like that.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the stranger but thankfully unusual effects of hypo I've experienced is shapes rearranging themselves in my field of vision, normal text all of a sudden looking like kanji or hieroglyphs or something, things like that.
Hi,

That's pretty much the "egg timer on the computer screen" for thinking too hard about it.. (the brain starting to wave the white flag.)
A simple sentence on a page? or possibly a price tag.. Even a 30 centimeter measurement on on a tape measure & it may as well be astrophysics.... Auto pilot kicks in for me. Hello, i'm low!