any type ones who take only bolus (no basel)

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been slowly reducing my basal (toujeo) for months now as i keep going low during the night, and had gotten it down to 4units from 12units. during this time my insulin carbs ratio for bolus has stayed the same .
I forgot to take my basal on sunday, and noticed no different to my bloods on Monday so have not taken and basal since Saturday. i am now not going low during the night , but my bloods still drop for maybe 6/7 when going to sleep to 4.5 in the morning (nice slow drop). I am wearing a freestyle libre at the moment and my bloods seem stabler with out taking the basal. so was wondering if anyone is on only bolus insulin ?
I also have cirrhosis of the liver , so maybe that is effecting my livers ability to store and release glucose ? :s

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bumping this for you.

Isn't Toujeo a stronger glargine insulin (3x stronger than Lantus)? Perhaps it is too strong for you? I am on Lantus but only at a relatively low dose - I would be on barely any if Toujeo is 3x the strength.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
I might be completely wrong here but isn't basal insulin essential? Without it you run serious risk of DKA.

Our bodies need insulin when we eat so that is why we bolus but our body's are constantly using energy for normal bodily functions and so we also need insulin to turn our stores into energy, albeit at a lower amount.

I would speak with you team about your Toujeo asap. It might be worth, in the mean time, considering the time you inject. My glargine used to be less effective after 20 hours so my bloods would increase.
X

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I might be completely wrong here but isn't basal insulin essential? Without it you run serious risk of DKA.

Our bodies need insulin when we eat so that is why we bolus but our body's are constantly using energy for normal bodily functions and so we also need insulin to turn our stores into energy, albeit at a lower amount.

I would speak with you team about your Toujeo asap. It might be worth, in the mean time, considering the time you inject. My glargine used to be less effective after 20 hours so my bloods would increase.
X

ya i think Basel is essential (at least for most people) but when im just taking bolus my blood sugar are staying in range (have checked with freestyle libre and finger pricking), so i dont think im in risk of DKA as long as my blood in in range ?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been diabetic? I stopped taking basal for a short time after I was diagnosed as my body could produce its own. These days I am still in my honeymoon, I need basal but if I do exercise I can go without insulin for hours. I don't know anything about livers, I would advise you ask your doctor if it is affecting your diabetes in any way. If you are taking bolus, you are probably not going to go into DKA so I would not be particularly worried about that.