Rapeseed oil

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
does anyone know if it's better to cook with than olive oil?
My sis in law who is type 1 has been using it and says it's better for us
Than olive oil. What do you guys think?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rapeseed oil can be heated to a higher temp than Olive oil before it burns, so it's better for high temp frying

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I don't know. I just don't like rapeseed oil. Or sunflower oil. No scientific evidence at all.
I know olive oil has a low flashpoint, which sounds dangerous, so I use good quality cold for dressings or slightly warmed on tomatoes etc.
I use steamed coconut oil for cooking. It has no taste. It's expensive but I'm worth it and I neither smoke nor drink alcohol so I feel entitled to spend extra on something worthwhile instead.
Goose fat is good too, I'm told.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
  1. What are the health benefits of Rapeseed Oil?
    • Contains the lowest saturated fat content of any oil – less than half that of Olive Oil.
    • Has 10 times more Omega 3 than Olive Oil.
    • It is a good source of Vitamin E.
    • High in monounsaturated fats.
    • Contains no artificial preservatives and is trans-fat and GM free.
    More items...
  2. Health Benefits of Rapeseed Oil | Facts on Rapeseed Oils
    wharfevalleyfarms.co.uk/why-rapeseed-oil/

3. I've just passed many Rapeseed fields and the colour and views are stunning, I never tire of it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We use both oils our household, rapeseed oil is by far the best for frying and roasting veg as they turn crispier than using olive oil.

Reactions: 2 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
    • Contains the lowest saturated fat content of any oil – less than half that of Olive Oil.
    More items...

3. I've just pasted many Rapeseed fields and the colour and views are stunning, I never tire of it :)
I HATE the yellow fields with a passion. I can feel them long before I see them affects my hayfever/asthma something terrible and gives me "tingly" lips

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I HATE the yellow fields with a passion. I can feel them long before I see them affects my hayfever/asthma something terrible and gives me "tingly" lips

Sorry to hear of your allergy, this is the time of year for many sufferers of pollen, hay, dust and so forth.

Best wishes RRB

Caligula 2

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
This is an old topic but it came up while I was googling so I really want to shed some light here, for any health reasons oils like Canola, Vegetable or rapeseed is terrible terrible terrible for your health. I can talk about this topic for hours on here because we keep finding more and more reasons why canola is bad for you, including almost assured heart disease after years of repeated use, but I'm just going to link 2 or 3 articles that really helped my understanding. Again, I know this is an old topic but this is pretty important and I was shocked to realise how many people still use Canola when it aggravates so many harmful and potentially deadly diseases. Both Rapeseed Oil and Canola Oil will have serious long term repercussions for those with Diabetes

These are a couple articles I like on the topic, there is a lot more research out there if you look for it but this puts down a general guideline as to why you need to be very picky with your oil choice. We switched a couple years ago since a few members of my family have various dietary limitations with Dad being a diabetic.

Edit: forum isn't letting me post links, so try a site like cookers .com.au or a health blog

lindisfel

Expert
The cheap stuff is heat treated and has some transfats. The cold pressed is better. Lidl cold pressed is reasonably priced.
Its ok to fry with olive oil, if its kept at a low temperature. There's recipes on here using olive oil in bread which is cooked.

Prof Phinney reckons a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil is fine to consume and spread on bread. Apparently it's an old idea and wrong that saturated fat is bad for us, in low carb it puts cholesterol in blood down.

Current thinking is we should avoid omega 6 and transfats.

I also avoid eating anything with Palm Oil, it is the equivalent of eating Orangutans and there is no environmentally friendly Palm oil says manager of Iceland.
regards
Derek

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I tend not to use oils so much now I use butter, Lard, goose fat and beef dripping mostly but do still use rapeseed, olive and sesame oil as well.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
This is an old topic but it came up while I was googling so I really want to shed some light here, for any health reasons oils like Canola, Vegetable or rapeseed is terrible terrible terrible for your health. I can talk about this topic for hours on here because we keep finding more and more reasons why canola is bad for you, including almost assured heart disease after years of repeated use, but I'm just going to link 2 or 3 articles that really helped my understanding. Again, I know this is an old topic but this is pretty important and I was shocked to realise how many people still use Canola when it aggravates so many harmful and potentially deadly diseases. Both Rapeseed Oil and Canola Oil will have serious long term repercussions for those with Diabetes

These are a couple articles I like on the topic, there is a lot more research out there if you look for it but this puts down a general guideline as to why you need to be very picky with your oil choice. We switched a couple years ago since a few members of my family have various dietary limitations with Dad being a diabetic.

Edit: forum isn't letting me post links, so try a site like cookers .com.au or a health blog
Hi. Just to point out that Canola oil is rapeseed oil. It's not liked in the USA because it's genetically modified in Canada (hence Canola). But the rapeseed oil we use in the UK isn't GM and is fine in small quantities. Personally, I always use butter for frying and rapeseed oil for roast veg (although I don't eat them myself).

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I tend not to use oils so much now I use butter, Lard, goose fat and beef dripping mostly but do still use rapeseed, olive and sesame oil as well.
Is lard OK? I haven't used it for years.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m massively allergic to the stuff too. I do use cold pressed (so unprocessed) rapeseed oil for high temperature cooking though.

Hi. Just to point out that Canola oil is rapeseed oil. It's not liked in the USA because it's genetically modified in Canada (hence Canola). But the rapeseed oil we use in the UK isn't GM and is fine in small quantities. Personally, I always use butter for frying and rapeseed oil for roast veg (although I don't eat them myself).
The Canola oil is highly heat processed and hydrogenated rapeseed oil, but cold pressed is literally just pressed from the seed and untreated, sort of the equivalent of extra virgin olive oil. They’re quite different.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Is lard OK? I haven't used it for years.

I use it. Apparently it is high in monounsaturated fat and has a high smoke point.
One thing I have noticed since switching from rapeseed oil is that the cooker is much easier to clean - none of that horrible sticky residue. I don't know what that says about vegetable/seed oil health 'benefits'.

Reactions: Serena51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it. Apparently it is high in monounsaturated fat and has a high smoke point.
One thing I have noticed since switching from rapeseed oil is that the cooker is much easier to clean - none of that horrible sticky residue. I don't know what that says about vegetable/seed oil health 'benefits'.

The food also tastes a lot better with lard. I also use duck/goose fat and butter.

Reactions: Gannet

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
    More items...

3. I've just passed many Rapeseed fields and the colour and views are stunning, I never tire of it :)
Thanks for this, i've only used olive oil...I have just changed the milk i use and it has rapeseed oil in it...very happy now...Thanks...x