BG monitors in the cold

onlytwintip

Hi,

I am a very fond skier and spend quite a lot of time up there in the mountains. Only problem with this is the cold and my BG machine always shows an error because of this. Sometimes it prevents me from testing all day, which isn't the best as I am doing exercise all day. I've tried all the tricks like keeping the tester close to my body but nothing seem to work...
Has anybody ever experienced this? Or know a tester that is cold-proof?

Any help or links would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Harry

Slinger

Hi onlytwintip

There are some things that I saw in a mag a time ago. They were to put in pockets. They are some kind of heaters.

There were 2 types. The 1st ones were put in the microwave which wouldn't be much good for you. The 2nd were a chemical reaction that produces heat.

Can't remember what they are called but if you search the web you might find them

Cheers
Ste

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I know the things - you should be able to find them in sports shops. I don't know where you ski but if you go to a ski resort they would have them in the sports shops there. Hope this helps. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Try a Google for these........Magic Gel Reusable Hand Warmer Heat Pack

Check the temp they get up to though, too hot is as bad as cold !

Slinger

try these, they arent reusable though

(Advertising link removed. Forum Policy.) Pm member for any details.
ste

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
What about sticking the test gear into a pair of heated gloves that have a separate battery pack? ...just an idea but the price seems too good not to try :D
(Advertising link removed. Forum Policy. Pm member for details.)

CantThinkOfAUsername

Some meters can work at lower temperatures than others. The OneTouch is one of the better ones in this regard which is one of the reasons why I like it. Not for skiing or anything like that but on very cold days and having a meter in a bag, many meters object to the low temperatures and fail to work.

The GlucoRX Nexus, which is a fairly new meter, only works from 10C and my Doctor wants me to start using it because the strips are cheaper.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"The GlucoRX Nexus, which is a fairly new meter, only works from 10C and my Doctor wants me to start using it because the strips are cheaper"

My GP has done the same recently and i love the meter

i dont see 10C being a problem as i have central heating in my house and i dont know about anyone else but my wife has it about about 25C all year round

Regards
Simon

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just be aware of this if you leave it in your car or something in the winter and then want to test....you will have to warm it up first. (Tried this with my meter last winter, I was in the house but it was still cold from being in my car and I wasted a test strip as it came up with error when I put it in!!).
Regards
Angie