So that's what chocolate tastes like.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a FLAKE the other day just the one, if it could be called one.
It was from a multi-pack and about half the size of a small anorexic twig. :(

I had a late night early start and because I'm old now and get tired easily I had an afternoon nap.
Just wanted something sweet to kick start things off after I woke, up my daughter always has a supply of chocolate in the cupboard it doesn't bother me I'm not a food Nazi.
(could relay do with a Nazi icon right about now mods, just saying if you want my vote.) o_O

It's my choice not to eat sugar so there is usually never an issue with temptation.

So the point is it's the first piece of chocolate that I have had in about a year and I wasn't impressed tasted awfully sweet, obviously, but completely artificial. It did not taste like real food. :***:
No instant feeling of well-being, no rush, no stimulate opioids in the brain. :meh:

So I'm wondering what all the fuss was about. ;)
:bag:

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Did it taste greasy too? Flakes aren’t proper chocolate imo, just grease, colouring and sugar.

D

Deleted Account

I'm not sure I would describe Flake as a good sample for determining what chocolate tastes like: it contains "at least 20% cocoa" whereas a dark chocolate like Lindt contains 70% or more.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t eaten milk chocolate since diagnosis but have gradually gone up the dark chocolate scale. I even eat and enjoy Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons now :hungry:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always liked Lindt 85 or 90% but I must say Lidl Ecuador Fairtrade 81% is really good too. I don think theres any going back to milk chocolate and as for white chocolate yuck!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moser Roth, from Aldi, is good too, and different flavours all delicious - mint, orange, plain and chilli. Only need a square of it to feel sated.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not tried 100% yet but a nighttime drink of 100% cocoa, with a sweetener if desired, is delicious! Proper old lady me, may need to knit myself a lacy bed jacket

Reactions: karen8967

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I LOVE it (yes including Flakes). Ate a chocolate ice cream today, and wasn't planning on having any over Easter but I did anyway (and numbers were fine). Recently I cut back on chocolate (weight loss, making good progress!) but I still really enjoy it when I have it.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I would describe Flake as a good sample for determining what chocolate tastes like: it contains "at least 20% cocoa" whereas a dark chocolate like Lindt contains 70% or more.
Lindt 90%. Way less sugar than a Green &Blacks.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.

I had a late night early start and because I'm old now and get tired easily I had an afternoon nap.
Just wanted something sweet to kick start things off after I woke, up my daughter always has a supply of chocolate in the cupboard it doesn't bother me I'm not a food Nazi.
(could relay do with a Nazi icon right about now mods, just saying if you want my vote.) o_O

It's my choice not to eat sugar so there is usually never an issue with temptation.

So the point is it's the first piece of chocolate that I have had in about a year and I wasn't impressed tasted awfully sweet, obviously, but completely artificial. It did not taste like real food. :***:
No instant feeling of well-being, no rush, no stimulate opioids in the brain. :meh:

HI I found a way to beat the late night chocolate urge. A cup of instant black coffee - somehow the smell and strong taste kills the choco feeling. I used to hate black coffee , now I am used to it - it's fine.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of sweetie foods have gone completely over the top with sugar - presumably because the white stuff is a nice cheap ingredient so the manufacturers have gradually re-educated the consumers to eat sweeter and sweeter. Bought a Lemoncello pud at our local Co-op as a special treat for Hubby & me the other day. He had a proper serving, I had a heaped teaspoonful - and I couldn't eat it until I mixed it into a couple of spoons of greek yoghurt. It was entirely and absolutely sugar, the only lemon about it was the colour!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

IMO I think its a lot to do with Cadbury being taken over by the Americans who dont have decent chocolate. They will probably swear they havent changed the recipe but its defo much sweeter than it used to be. They used to use milk from grass fed cows in Ireland years ago but those days are well gone. My family cant stand Roses at Christmas any more for this reason. It certainly doesnt tempt me now so thanks Cadbury I suppose!

ratutu10

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Since being pre-diabetic and going low carb I occasionally have some dark chocolate (Lindt or Asda's own brand) which is at least 70%. I only eat a square or two as it's so strong. But I get my chocolate fix and keep the sugar intake down :)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Yvonne-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
IMO I think its a lot to do with Cadbury being taken over by the Americans who dont have decent chocolate. They will probably swear they havent changed the recipe but its defo much sweeter than it used to be. They used to use milk from grass fed cows in Ireland years ago but those days are well gone. My family cant stand Roses at Christmas any more for this reason. It certainly doesnt tempt me now so thanks Cadbury I suppose!
I agree! I don't know what has happened to Cadbury's it tastes awful, waxy and too sweet, it irritates my throat and makes me cough. Can't stand chocolate now.