emmaloxise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I am 21 and a type 1 diabetic. I have been type 1 since I was 4 years old and recenly I am struggling a lot.

A family member recently passed away and this is effecting my blood sugars, as well as having depression. My blood sugars are between the low 20s and low 30s, I struggle to get them down because to be honest, I don't really care about my diabetes. My depression obviously doesn't help because i don't have any interest in looking after myself. I can't talk to any family members about this because I find it to difficult. I find it difficult to talk to anyone about this, doctors included. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated because I feel completely alone at the minute and I am struggling to cope. Thanks.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I am 21 and a type 1 diabetic. I have been type 1 since I was 4 years old and recenly I am struggling a lot.

A family member recently passed away and this is effecting my blood sugars, as well as having depression. My blood sugars are between the low 20s and low 30s, I struggle to get them down because to be honest, I don't really care about my diabetes. My depression obviously doesn't help because i don't have any interest in looking after myself. I can't talk to any family members about this because I find it to difficult. I find it difficult to talk to anyone about this, doctors included. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated because I feel completely alone at the minute and I am struggling to cope. Thanks.

Are you able to self refer yourself to a counsellor ? Over the years I have used the counselling service on several different occasions. I have found it very difficult in the short term but beneficial in the long term. You will have been lectured by so many people about your blood levels.. you are very young and really need the help. I’m very lucky I have fabulous dr and np support ! Is there anyone medically at your surgery who you can talk to ? You should have access to all the services. I know it’s incredibly difficult to talk but I honestly think you need to access counsellors, they know their stuff and really will help. You talk yourself around problems and they are just there to guide your thoughts and help you make choices. Where are you based ?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hello,

Hi Emma, you're surrounded by friends and non-judgemental people on this forum. You can talk to us and say what ever is on your mind, it's OK and that's my advice. Consider where you are now in life and where you'd like to be in a year and then decide how you can get there. Small steps. What's good about now? I'm a bit list maker and that helps me sort stuff including what's going on in my head/life. It might work for you too.

Reactions: Goacher55

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you're surrounded by friends and non-judgemental people on this forum
When you are depressed it is very easy to get totally shut in a box - surrounded by fog - buried in ennui - until the whole world becomes impossible to cope with.
You are absolutely right, talking to people is the answer, to depression, to difficulty with diabetes, so keep on trying to find a person or a group who feel safe and supportive.
You have already started to find a way out, by writing to this forum. Ask a question, any question, and someone, probably lots of someones, will answer.
Big zen hugs from me to you.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Dear Emma its not to easy to deal with bereavement let alone when you suffer from depression. Are you at Uni or working or just at home? The counsellng available on he NHS varies in different parts of the country. Go to the MIND website for a lot of useful info. I have a 23 year old son with depression and I can see it from a parents perspective. It certainly is easier to talk to someone outside the family. It cost about £40 a session for private counselling which you can arrange yourself with accredited people on the MND website. As regards your Diabetes I think you know you need to look after yourself so no lecture from me. You are young and should be happy and healthy. Keep in touch here. X

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I meant you can find accredited counsellors near you through the MIND website! You also qualify for bereavement counselling and there is bound to be somethi g in your area but again there are charities tailored to bereavement in young people on line.

Glen1144

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I'm sorry your depressed. I've been depressed real bad like this but I have improved. I'ts possible. You must take care of your diabetes though. I could help with any questions u have about diabetes. You have a perfect stranger that cares about you!