Effects of hot weather on sugar levels.

ppprasad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been checking my glucose levels at home with accucheck once a week, where I make a point to check them fasting, random and postprandial on the same day.
One day I managed to record reading for BG immediately after coming home, after spending hours under hot sun without cap on, sometime, around 1pm, my BG was found to be 230. Shocked I rested at my home for an hour had a glass of water and checked again it was found to be 150.
I repeated the procedure several times on other days to rule out error and it was same pattern all the time.
Then I realized that after moving under hot sun without cap on, some how BG shoots up and reverts back to otherwise normal after resting in shade for over an hour.
Therefore some guidance is required on this, whether direct and sustained exposure to hot sun is causing it and whether it is to be avoided for diabetics, as in my opinion can create stress like situation.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is troubling as I work construction in the warmer months, I'll have to definitely wear a cap.

What is your Bg normally?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everyone should wear head protection and sun screen outside on sunny days especially around midday. It's also important to keep hydrated.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
ppprased
First tell me where this sun is. I miss it so much.
I always wear some form of head cover as I am a little thin on top. (Well, quite naked really.) Just a little sun does the job by singing the very thin protective skin layer and causing days of irritation. Keep it covered and be safe.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have been checking my glucose levels at home with accucheck once a week, where I make a point to check them fasting, random and postprandial on the same day.
One day I managed to record reading for BG immediately after coming home, after spending hours under hot sun without cap on, sometime, around 1pm, my BG was found to be 230. Shocked I rested at my home for an hour had a glass of water and checked again it was found to be 150.
I repeated the procedure several times on other days to rule out error and it was same pattern all the time.
Then I realized that after moving under hot sun without cap on, some how BG shoots up and reverts back to otherwise normal after resting in shade for over an hour.
Therefore some guidance is required on this, whether direct and sustained exposure to hot sun is causing it and whether it is to be avoided for diabetics, as in my opinion can create stress like situation.

What were you actually doing whilst you were outside?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I wouldn't have known about the effects of hot weather/heat on blood glucose levels if it wasn't for this site and forum. I was very pleased to be forewarned when enduring a heat wave this summer just passed.

I have googled for some handy links on the subject:

(of course this one should come first! -)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-hot-weather.html

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/diabetes-hot-weather-12-things-know/

(I particularly like this one - )

http://www.informationaboutdiabetes.../how-heat-and-humidity-may-affect-blood-sugar

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people report their numbers go up a bit in the sun, whereas if anything mine lower a bit. I love the sun.

I would think if you had been outside in the sun, without a hat, you may have become a bit dehydrated. Dehydration definitely raises the blood sugars.

Be careful out there and make sure to take on board plenty fluids..

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hot weather gives me hypos. Sun makes me feel ill. Glad I live in Wales, really, we don’t get much of either :D

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread has been informative. I never knew even weather effects BG.
Thanks all.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have never noticed any difference, I only wear a hat when I play bowls.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Hot sun? Please tell me where it is. The temperature today in Yorkshire apparently didn't manage to rise above 5°c !

ppprasad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stay in India, a hot tropical country and as civil engineer forced routinely to stand and travel on bike in hot sun to supervise and not to actually work. The observations were by chance as I attempted taking random BG almost immediately after coming from such exposure with absolutely no food intake after breakfast (4 hours fasting ). BG was even found as high as 256 and returned back to below 160 on its own without any intervention except a glass of water sometimes.( prior fasting BG was within 130 on same day) I did not wear cap earlier and hardly hydrated myself. But I will do it and post the results immediately.
My normal readings are 130 fasting, 150 PP and 150 random with normal exposure. (latest A1C 7.2), with reasonable diet and 1 tablet of 500 mg metformin SR at breakfast. Also my diabetes is hereditary all my siblings(total 4) male & female have it, probably inherited from our mother..

Reactions: gardengnome42