Drinking Coffee on LCHF

tubamanandy

Any recommendations re drinking coffee of LCHF ?

I tend to like skinny Latte but only just realised it will cause a spike in my glucose levels - I forgot to test it when re-trying my Freestyle Libre recently.

Can someone point my in right direction on this ?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I changed to decaf to help with my blood pressure. I only use cream.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have decaf espresso with cream and erythritol, hardly affects my blood sugars at all. If I have caffeine, I see a significant rise.

Best to play around a bit to figure out what you react to, the milk or the caffeine or both.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is best to drink it either black or with cream. Milk has a lot of sugar in it, especially skimmed.

My pulse rate doesn't like caffeine at all, so it's decaff for me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like it strong and black.
Used to be a sugar junkie in tea and coffee.... but no more.
:)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8AD7AF31-70E8-4647-847D-CCDF09648E5D.jpeg
I usually drink it black now having been a cappuccino fan previously. Caffeine doesn’t appear to affect my blood sugar levels. My hubby bought me a Nespresso Vertuo for Xmas. It makes coffee with a deep crema layer, that is a frothy layer made from just the coffee. Not quite a latte but enjoyable all the same :hungry:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the Tesco website whole milk has 4.7g carbs and skimmed milk 5.0g carbs per 100ml. I have about 40ml milk in my coffee, so about 2g carbs, I don't like the effect cream has on the taste. A latte however is probably 200ml or more milk so at least 10g carbs per cup.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Another vote for decaf with double cream, it has no discernible affect on my bg. All you can do is test to see how your preferred method affects you personally.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream.. one tablespoon per mug.. in a triple shot Americano from my Nespresso. Nectar!

Reactions: DJC3

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I do add anything it is likely to be a shot of rum and some double cream for the topping... but that's just for the winter holidays.

Reactions: DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks for the suggestions - consensus seems to be decaf and stay clear of the milk (and sugar of course)
My heart starters are made with full strength coffee, we will not buy decaf as it plurry terrible to drink.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Fully leaded black coffee here too. I make mine in an Italian stovetop moka pot, and the caffeine has no effect on my levels. Which is just as well, cos decaf is nasty! To my taste, at least.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally have my coffee with two packets of stevia and like a drop or two of milk (tablespoon) and on special occasions I'll have my coffee with actual sugar and milk.

Coffee has become one of the small things that I enjoy, so every now and then I'll enjoy it to its fullest. Mind you the special occasions are far and few between.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Why does cream have no carbs and milk does?
Thanks
Tony

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is a ratio thing, there is more fat in cream, less water, less sugar. Semi skimmed has more sugar than full milk, which has more than cream.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Why does cream have no carbs and milk does?
Thanks
Tony
Cream has fewer carbs than milk it's not carb free
Regular full fat milk has 4.8g per 10ml
Skimmed milk has 5.0g per 100ml
Lactofree full fat has 2.8g per 100ml
Double cream has 2.6g per 100ml

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Thank you sir
As a type 1 of 44 years I'm disciplined on most things but a brew......tea or coffee......I never say no......I've had 3 coffees already this morning.
I use semi skimmed and have looked at the LCHF but I drink too much coffee and tea on a typical day.
Although to be fair the milk in the brew helps keep me level as I only tend to have 1 main meal per day.

Thanks again

Tony

Reactions: hankjam