Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Today I finally threw out all the baking ingredients from my cupboards. Out went the strong white bread flour, the malt extract, the black treacle, maple syrup, yeast, bags of sultanas, raisins and currants, a tub of glacé cherries, caster sugar, icing sugar and two jars of honey.
I'm not sure why I kept hold of it all except that it costs a lot and I had thought I would carry on baking for the family but the temptation to have 'just a thin slice' after smelling the pie/pastry/cake would have been a little too much. The flour would have been musty anyway but the other stuff was unopened.

My store cupboard looks at once bare and at the same time a bit hippy with the flax seeds, chia seeds and psyllium husk o_O

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Guzzler I can relate to that, except I filled a bag with all of the in date ,unopened items and gave them to my daughter in law who was over the moon. You are so right about the , I'll bake for the family scenario and then temptation. :)

Reactions: DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I opened our flour container (an old enamelled flour bucket) and found a load of weevil like creatures having a feast. It hadn't been opened for such a long time... needless to say all went into the bin.

Reactions: DJC3

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I opened our flour container (an old enamelled flour bucket) and found a load of weevil like creatures having a feast. It hadn't been opened for such a long time... needless to say all went into the bin.
What - and waste all that protein !! :)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Today I finally threw out all the baking ingredients from my cupboards. Out went the strong white bread flour, the malt extract, the black treacle, maple syrup, yeast, bags of sultanas, raisins and currants, a tub of glacé cherries, caster sugar, icing sugar and two jars of honey.
I'm not sure why I kept hold of it all except that it costs a lot and I had thought I would carry on baking for the family but the temptation to have 'just a thin slice' after smelling the pie/pastry/cake would have been a little too much. The flour would have been musty anyway but the other stuff was unopened.

My store cupboard looks at once bare and at the same time a bit hippy with the flax seeds, chia seeds and psyllium husk o_O

Good for you. I'd toss all that stuff out of my cupboards too, except everyone else wouldn't be too happy about it... lol

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
My shelves are now crammed with golden flax seeds, chia seeds, almond flour, psyllium husk and hemp protein. My fridge is full of green stuff. I'm expecting a crop cage with insect netting so that I can grow my own vegetables this year. I can't believe how much my eating habits have changed.

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My shelves are now crammed with golden flax seeds, chia seeds, almond flour, psyllium husk and hemp protein. My fridge is full of green stuff. I'm expecting a crop cage with insect netting so that I can grow my own vegetables this year. I can't believe how much my eating habits have changed.

There's nothing like home grown veggies, the shop bought veg just doesn't seem as tasty or as fresh.
Be warned, though, I became obsessed with home made compost and soil health :D

Reactions: Metabolism_Boss

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Flour mites. A bit of extra protein?

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There's nothing like home grown veggies, the shop bought veg just doesn't seem as tasty or as fresh.
Be warned, though, I became obsessed with home made compost and soil health :D
I know what you mean about compost and compost heap building.
I am a keen rose grower on a chalk soil and so I have to add lots of organic matter. My heap is in a home made wood and wire contruction that is nearly as tall as I am (maybe not that impressive when I think about that..) In the summer it releases a little column of smoke like a miniature organic Mount Doom. Now the roses will be competing with the veggies for the compost. Perhaps I should start a second heap -oops obsession starting already!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know what you mean about compost and compost heap building.
I am a keen rose grower on a chalk soil and so I have to add lots of organic matter. My heap is in a home made wood and wire contruction that is nearly as tall as I am (maybe not that impressive when I think about that..) In the summer it releases a little column of smoke like a miniature organic Mount Doom. Now the roses will be competing with the veggies for the compost. Perhaps I should start a second heap -oops obsession starting already!

A hot heap? Now I am envious ;)

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My compost heap is growing nicely. Before diagnosis I only ate peas but now it's cali, cabbage, leeks, sprouts. Already grew runner beans, tomatoes and strawberries. Unfortunately I found out that I cannot eat my apples and pears, boo hoo.

Reactions: Guzzler

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I tried to give my unopened and in date items to the food bank only to be told that the people getting items from the food bank don’t use them ! !!!! I ended up taking the baking ingredients to the church who run a coffee morning once weekly and do baking for it.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well that tells it's own sad story. It's strange when you consider how prevelent and popular cooking shows are. I don't really watch them, but from what I've seen they are not "how to" programmes like the old Delia Smith and Jamie Oliver programmes. Perhaps the Beeb should re-introduce them or produce something similar as a public service. Home baking might reduce some food bills quite a bit, especially if you have a large family, and our own experiences tell us how much better cooking from scratch is from a nutritional aspect.

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have seen a youtube video of a chicken and bacon cake. Made using a bundt tin so I will not have to give away mine.

Reactions: bulkbiker and DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I finally threw out all the baking ingredients from my cupboards.
I am one step behind you, as I haven't yet summoned up the energy to throw all my high carb edibles away, though I have absolutely no intention of eating them. Unfortunately I have a tendency to buy foods I expect to eat a lot of in bulk, so I have many cartons of expensive beetroot juice, tins of beans etc ad nauseam. Just physically disposing of it all will be quite a challenge. I thought of a food bank. The Tesco in town collects and promises to donate something for every item given. So I am sneakily considering giving items I know will not be suitable (eg organic barley grains) in the hope that at least they will earn a little money.

What I am looking forward to is the amount of space all this will liberate. As low carb is involving me in a lot more food prep. than before, this will be very welcome.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am one step behind you, as I haven't yet summoned up the energy to throw all my high carb edibles away, though I have absolutely no intention of eating them. Unfortunately I have a tendency to buy foods I expect to eat a lot of in bulk, so I have many cartons of expensive beetroot juice, tins of beans etc ad nauseam. Just physically disposing of it all will be quite a challenge. I thought of a food bank. The Tesco in town collects and promises to donate something for every item given. So I am sneakily considering giving items I know will not be suitable (eg organic barley grains) in the hope that at least they will earn a little money.

What I am looking forward to is the amount of space all this will liberate. As low carb is involving me in a lot more food prep. than before, this will be very welcome.

Aye, I'm gonna need a bigger fridge.