High morning BM and pregnant

BAZ-ANDREWS

Hi Guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this question as there are so many threads, but i'm sure one of you lovely lot will be able to help me or nudge me in the right direction!
I've recently found out i'm pregnant with my first baby (yay!) im very excited, however i've been waking up in the mornings with really high readings around 14 (!!?) but i've been going to sleep (around 9/10pm and taking my 24u Lantus) with readings between 5-7 and it's left me totally baffled!
I eat 3 good meals a day but I try not to eat anything after my dinner at around 7pm, should I maybe try and introduce a snack just before bed as i've heard this can really help?
I understand insulin needs can lessen or increase when pregnant which i've been fine with altering during the day as I can test regularly, however it scares me to wake up with such high readings after being asleep for hours. I'm only 5 weeks pregnant so i'm very cautious of the effects that high sugars can have, any help or advice is really appreciated!

Thanks! x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you diagnosed with diabetes @BAZ-ANDREWS ? If so, what type and how is it treated?

It seems like what you need is the opposite of a snack before bed, you need to consider increasing your lantus. Have you done a night time basal test to see if you need more lantus? You really need to be waking under 5.3 when pregnant. If you do snack before bed, you should be bolusing for it.

BAZ-ANDREWS

Hiya, yep I’ve been diagnosed with type 1 for 10 years.
Okay that makes sense with the increase in bolus insulin I’m needing for normal eating. I haven’t done a basal test as this is a recent issue and I’d normally be waking up within a good range on my normal dose of 24units. I’ll try a basal test and see if it gives me any insights!
Thank you!