How test?

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi

I do low carb and if now. I want to test if my insulin resistance is better but how do I test? If eat keto style does give you fysiologisch insulin resistance? What test do you use.

I am only insulin resistance so my hbac1 is perfect and so is my glucose fasting. My insulin was to high.

I do read eating keto will fail oggt test because of fysiologie insulin resistance. But what then.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Physiological insulin resistance (PIR) only happens in the absence of glucose from carbs as it is a mechanism the body uses to preserve available glucose for the brain and some red blood cells. You will know if you have it by using a blood glucose meter on fasting and before meals, and bedtime. If you notice these levels rising, with a trend line on the way up, you may have PIR IF you have been eating a true keto diet. You may not - it just may be you are crossing the line to diabetes, but it is the only indicator we have. You can ask for insulin tests from the GP but will probably be very lucky to get them.

PIR is often only temporary and can be stopped by adding in a few extra carbs for a few days. Yes, you probably would fail an OGTT but you would also be likely to fail one eating a non-keto but low carb diet. This is why the instructions to prepare for an OGTT is to eat around 130-150g carbs a day for 3 days.

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Okay thanks son if I eat 3 days carbs I will get a true ready of oggt.

Does every body get Pir or just some? I do eat true keto now high fat 20 carbs net.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Okay thanks son if I eat 3 days carbs I will get a true ready of oggt.

Does every body get Pir or just some? I do eat true keto now high fat 20 carbs net.

Hi @Flair,

If you are preparing for a standard two hours glucose tolerance test, then the advice from @Bluetit1802 is relevant, but if it as I suspect from your previous posts, it is an elongated (4-5 hours) oral glucose tolerance test, then fasting before is necessary.
During the test you should get the relevant insulin test, c-peptide and probably GAD blood test. Also all your blood that has been drawn will be sent to a lab, where relevant tests maybe done. It will take into consideration the psychological insulin resistance.
Best wishes, hope you are feeling better on the very low carb diet!