Type 2 High readings

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My readings have been high. Today 12.9,. I felt sick and sweated profusely. Why is it so high? I would appreciate any response. Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When did you take the test, what had you previously eaten, was this just a random test?
Are you still on Metformin and no other diabetes medication?

If you can give us some more information we may be able to help.

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When did you take the test, what had you previously eaten, was this just a random test?
Are you still on Metformin and no other diabetes medication?

If you can give us some more information we may be able to help.
Only on metformin 3x daily. Took test because I felt so sick..it's happened before ..I just sit it out until this horrible feeling passes...I'm so sweaty too..like I'm overheating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this after the beans on toast that you mention on your other thread?
I'm guessing that the combination of carbs and sugar in that meal combo sent your sugars high resulting in you feeling like ****. Have you thought about cutting your carbohydrate intake to make it easier for your body to get rid of the excess sugar in your blood?
Alternatively you could be sickening for something...

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this after the beans on toast that you mention on your other thread?
I'm guessing that the combination of carbs and sugar in that meal combo sent your sugars high resulting in you feeling like ****. Have you thought about cutting your carbohydrate intake to make it easier for your body to get rid of the excess sugar in your blood?
Alternatively you could be sickening for something...
Yes sorry same thread! It seems baked beans are too much /too high in carbs which could have made me feel rubbish but I've had them before felt perfectly fine. I'm veggiecsi I'm careful what I eat. Diabetic reviews are waste of time!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm assuming you have seen daisy's post about lowering carbs? It really would help with your blood sugar levels.. where are they usually? Have you say gone from 10-12 or from 5-12 ?
you also mention feeling sick a lot (which could be a classic side effect from metformin) and well as "hypos" which you shouldn't really be having if you are just on metformin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only on metformin 3x daily. Took test because I felt so sick..it's happened before ..I just sit it out until this horrible feeling passes...I'm so sweaty too..like I'm overheating.

This sounds like a bad reaction to high blood sugars. You mentioned you had eaten beans on toast on your other thread, but have you worked out just how many carbs there are in that meal? It is a lot, and not doing you any good at all.

This horrible feeling has happened before - was it following another high carb meal? May I ask if you are consistently testing before you eat and also after eating at at least the 2 hour mark, preferably more often than that, and recording these levels in a food diary and looking for patterns? If so, are you keeping your rise from before to after as low as possible, and definitely under 2mmol/l?

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds like a bad reaction to high blood sugars. You mentioned you had eaten beans on toast on your other thread, but have you worked out just how many carbs there are in that meal? It is a lot, and not doing you any good at all.

This horrible feeling has happened before - was it following another high carb meal? May I ask if you are consistently testing before you eat and also after eating at at least the 2 hour mark, preferably more often than that, and recording these levels in a food diary and looking for patterns? If so, are you keeping your rise from before to after as low as possible, and definitely under 2mmol/l?
Thank you for your reply . I think i should test more..I used to do this regularly but then i wasnt getting these horrible sicky feelings. Plus perhaps keep a log of what I eat and when etc. I'm veggie so I think i eat well . Thanks again for your help/ advice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm veggie so I think i eat well .
I'm afraid that can be a bit of a fallacy where Type 2 is concerned as its mainly carbs that cause spikes and a vegetarian diet can be very carby. Pasta, root veg, rice, bread all of this will most likely cause spikes.

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid that can be a bit of a fallacy where Type 2 is concerned as its mainly carbs that cause spikes and a vegetarian diet can be very carby. Pasta, root veg, rice, bread all of this will most likely cause spikes.
Ok thank you yes I do it pasta during the week try not to eat breads cake etc. I love my fruit and drink lots of water during the day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thank you yes I do it pasta during the week try not to eat breads cake etc. I love my fruit and drink lots of water during the day.
Fruit can also be pretty bad at raising blood sugar levels (depending on the type) and fructose goes strait to the liver for processing which can help give you NAFLD too (sorry!).
Berries are ok in small quantities but anything sweet is probably not doing you any good.

Reactions: dbr10

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fruit can also be pretty bad at raising blood sugar levels (depending on the type) and fructose goes strait to the liver for processing which can help give you NAFLD too (sorry!).
Berries are ok in small quantities but anything sweet is probably not doing you any good.
Thank you. I will definitely watch my fruit intake...diabetic nurses never agree on this one. One told me not to eat any fruit..another said it does no harm and moderation was key. Confused? I am !! Thanks again

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I will definitely watch my fruit intake...diabetic nurses never agree on this one. One told me not to eat any fruit..another said it does no harm and moderation was key. Confused? I am !! Thanks again
Best avoided to be honest if you can.. the Eatwell followers always say that moderation is key (even though they know it doesn't really work) the one who said no fruit is closer to the mark.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone (like me) who hankers after forbidden fruit might take comfort from the following list of the most polluted foods, published in "Prevention":

"The full list of the most contaminated fruits and vegetables includes:

1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Nectarines
  4. Apples
  5. Grapes
  6. Peaches
  7. Cherries
  8. Pears
  9. Tomatoes
  10. Celery
  11. Potatoes